Manny Diaz Show: Episode 6

Was that blown coverage on the sack? Bolden passed off his guy, Hall didn’t. Great scheming by Lashlee, per usual.

Advertisement
There's a little too much Slick Al Golden in Manny. I hate that promoter part of his personality.
He's the son of a politician. Honestly it could be a lot worse.

But I also think that helps him on the recruiting trail. Between the way he sells transfers from the portal and how he closed last year's recruiting class, the salesman in him comes in handy.

But I also think that helps him on the recruiting trail. Between the way he sells transfers from the portal and how he closed last year's recruiting class, the salesman in him comes in handy.

Exactly. You need to be able to talk. College coaches are in the selling business. If you can't talk, you can't recruit. Now, at some point, you got to have some substance and back it up, lest that talk sound empty (Ron Zook, Al Golden). Manny needs to start winning now to back it up.

Advertisement
Advertisement
There is a little bit of that in every P5 coach, or they wouldn't have the job.
True but some are about what they preach while others say it because it’s sounds like something fans want to hear.

I hear you. But that "Effort.Attitude.Toughness" acronym is Tony Robinson level stuff.

yeah, it’s shades of Alf Gluten making kids repeat phrases like “diversity beats adversity” only to have kids mess it up in pressers and say stuff like “adversity beats diversity” like Artie burns did. Smh

Advertisement
Acronyms like that are pretty common with college coaches. It’s not over the top like with Golden. He dropped one every sentence.
Would love to hear some of the others and from whom (if possible). All in good fun. I can imagine some of what's out there.

The Al Golden leadership book approach was beyond tone deaf.

Would love to hear some of the others and from whom (if possible). All in good fun. I can imagine some of what's out there.

The Al Golden leadership book approach was beyond tone deaf.

Lou Holtz always talked about What’s Important Now (WIN) as an acronym for making the right choices. Brad Stephens has SHARPENS (Selflessness, Humility, Accountability, Resiliency, Passion, Even keel, No Doubts, Service).

Dabo even made one for Covid:

Advertisement

I'm going to say this every time it comes up. Manny was raised primarily by his mom. And manny's dad became a politician after Manny left for college. Manny didn't come back until taking the job here. So the son of a politician narrative is extremely overblown and inaccurate if it means manny is "politically astute".

Advertisement
Back