Manny Diaz interview

You can be aggressive...but then there's stupidity, like Blitzing 500 times a game, when your LBers biggest weakness is Pass Coverage....Gap integrity has been trash...LBers taking TERRIBLE angles....Tackling is atrocious...

Been seeing this issue since LSU. Jumping into wrong gaps trying to play hero ball and getting gashed on cutbacks or just not keeping good leverage and getting caught flat footed getting outrun to the outside. Sound teams with smart football players just don't repeatedly do this stuff.

Advertisement
You can be aggressive...but then there's stupidity, like Blitzing 500 times a game, when your LBers biggest weakness is Pass Coverage....Gap integrity has been trash...LBers taking TERRIBLE angles....Tackling is atrocious...

The defense is 4th in the country...they're not the problem.

Last edited:
You can disagree all you want.....Not only isn't he an Elite DC....He's nowhere near it....The last TRULY Great DC was Sonny Lubick.....Wannstadt was very Good...Greg McMacklin was very Good....Shannon was Good....but ONLY Lubick was Elite....
Sonny was Gawd..

Dabo really had a hard time getting the HC duties down lol I have no problem hiring a current DC as long as long as they bring a fast paced high octane OC.

Advertisement
Love his attitude but I’m not sold on his recruiting overall

I agree. But Manny is smart. I am certain he would hire a recruiting ace on defense who can be the DC. I would hope. But this man is honest with his coach speak. Manny ain't no corch. And he's a **** good motivator.

I cant disagree with you on that.
but I do feel that he has a much smaller margin of error given the atrocious special teams and defense.
Im curious to see how he does once Goldens dline recruits are gone. As bad as it sounds he was left with much more than he has recruited.

Advertisement
I know Lincoln Riley's doing a really ****** job at OU. Jimbo really struggled at first at FSU, Herman really struggled at Houston.

That expectation that they have to have HC experience is limiting are coaching pool substantially. Sure I want guys that have been HC's but that doesn't need to immediately disqualify someone at the same time.
Usually when a guy has significant experience as a HC, he’s either done so well that his current employer locks him in, or he’s got significant warts like Folden and Rickety.

We need to get better at identifying young coaching talent and quit looking for allegedly safe hires.

You can down vote and not agree all ta F-ing want....He HAS been outschemed alot.....Lol at people who think he's an Elite DC....

We’ve been very average on his side of the ball the last couple games.

And there are a lot of rumblings about his recruiting/talent evaluation acumen.

SN: Diaz with Lincoln Riley would be a SCARY thought for the rest of college football. One or two stops early in the game would create the type of lead that a Diaz-coached defense would feast off of. That type of combination here in Miami would lead to the type of results Canes fans have waited a LONG time for.
I agree completely with this sentiment. We’d be a helluva lot of fun to watch with a Riley type calling plays and Diaz as DC.

Advertisement
I agree completely with this sentiment. We’d be a helluva lot of fun to watch with a Riley type calling plays and Diaz as DC.

Fun? this is not about fun we're only supposed to run pro style schemes to prepare the players for the NFL so we can then brag about how many guys we have in the NFL.

Diaz as a DC is fine. But Diaz needs better assistants than Rumph, Banda, Patke. Simpson not sure, the jury is still out on him.

Diaz as a HC no thanks. His hiring of staff seems based off of friendship/loyalty and not resume. Basically Richt Lite.

I think Diaz is one of those guys who would be a BETTER head coach than coordinator.

He is detailed. His hunger for advanced statistics and metrics makes him the type of guy who WILL spend his summers picking the brains of the best. He sees the need to make changes. He plays to what he has and not what he wants.

Diaz is going to be an excellent head coach IF he can solve the recruiting puzzle.

Despite his attention to detail and advanced metrics, he still can't be better than average against decent offenses, with his penchant for giving up back-breaking big plays. How does this general unsoundness in his scheme transfer to him being an excellent HC?

And it's not just scheme. His evaluation and recruiting are suspect too. Will never forget him and Banda getting punkd by Jobe, thinking they had him in the bag.

And to top it off, he's put together a defensive staff that could only ever be eternally in his debt, for getting jobs they clearly didn't deserve.

Nothing says he is an elite HC caliber. Not scheme and game planning; not recruiting, evaluation, and development ; and not staff selection.

Advertisement
He’s not getting **** canned because he’s our best recruiter next to Dugans and he does amazing with TE
Not 1 coach on this O or Special teams should get a pass, I don’t care what they are good at! Dumpster fire is too nice a word for the **** show we have seen for far too long! Our coaching, development and game planning all suck!!!!!

He's more dialed in than the current HC. Give him the spot and let him hire a DC, OC, and a recruiting coordinator and we'd get better results than what we're getting now.
And for all the "we don't need a young or inexperienced/we need at least 5 years experience" is crazy. We're not paying up level money and the next great coach "is" out there. Most of the fans on here would not have hired Urban Meyer out of Utah, and certainly not Bowling Green. But he's done nothing but win. Other examples are Nick Saban and our beloved Jimmy Johnson. Gotta start somewhere! Why not with Manny? At least he has the fire.

Suppose:
1. We lose the rest of our games, but the D plays OK (yeah, I know)
2. Manny gets an HC offer
3. Manny gives The U a chance to match salary and position
4. Does the BOT have Flake fire Mork and make Manny the HC?

As much as I like Manny there’s no way his first HC job should be here.

Sorry. He doesn’t some illustrious track record as a DC either.

Advertisement
Back