Manny Diaz interview

I would love having Diaz as our head coach but only if he hired an OC and a DC. He seems like the type that would fire some heads if their side of the team don't perform.

Advertisement
I remember everyone laughing when Dabo was promoted from assistant to head coach. I'd rather do a move like this than hire some older retread head coach. We want to win it all. You gotta take some risk to get to the top. Super safer hires like Richt won't ever get us there. Even if Richt had worked out, his ceiling was never going to be national championship.

Difference between Manny and CMR is Manny realized when he got fired from Texas he needed to adjust and improve. CMR doing the same things that got him in trouble at Georgia. Need coaches to be self-aware.

Manny's D is ranked 3rd in the nation among power 5 teams. We give up 9 fewer yards per game than Alabama. And that's with our ridiculous punting and horrendous offense that puts them in awful field position and being behind early in games. Nitpick if you like, but he's doing a pretty **** good job under those conditions, especially considering the storm of noise and criticism surrounding this team. They could have looked at this offense long ago and said, we're giving our all for nothing, ***** it. But they haven't.

As for him being head coach, yeah it's a gamble like it is with any coordinator, but there's nobody we can get outside of Saban, Dabo or Belichick that won't cause a significant amount of whining among segments of our fan base. Look at all the Leach and Butch haters. If Richt surprised us with a retirement/buyout at season's end, I'd be OK with Manny getting a shot. But I'd also be OK with Leach, Davis, Holgerson, Campbell, Gundy and a few others. Then there's that wild possibility that Richt could come to his senses an shock us all with a total offensive revamp and hire Kendal Briles as OC. But from his latest comments it looks like he's closer to wanting out than wanting to turn it around.

Advertisement
With all due respect fellas Manny should not get the HC job here, I heard the same rhetoric with Randy and I was really pulling for Shannon as we went to the same high school. But I knew we were screwed Randy wasn’t ready to be a HC.

Manny has never been a HC and also he has been exposed enough times to warrant concern. Sure his D has been playing well this year but let’s see what happens the rest of the season.

The interesting thing about how the season is shaping up or playing out is the Pitt finale. This was supposed to be the ultimate payback matchup. It appears now that it is looking like we might get run out of our own stadium. If that happens that might be the last straw that broke the camels back.

As a manager, you're only as good as the people you surround yourself with. You hire great people and let them do their jobs and be there to support them through thick and thin.

This philosophy applies to any organization. Successful head football coaches are no different. Obviously, the Sabags, Swiney's of the CFB world are good at what they do, but they also hire great people and let them do their jobs after setting the vision of what should be accomplished.

If/when the U hires another head coach, one of the things to look for is who is that person going to bring with them. Especially if it's a guy with no HC experience.

Read between the lines. There is no way Rick and Manny will be back next year. One of them is gone. There is no way Manny said what he did if both are coming back next year. I think Manny has done a fine job this year. Overachieved imo because our guys on d are overrated and just not that good. He knows it. I think Manny is gone. Him and Rick have been taking subtle shots at each other all year. He prolly got a HC job lined up at some small school.

Advertisement
Love his attitude but I’m not sold on his recruiting overall
If the defense wasn't backing up his talk I'd agree .and his defensive recruits he's brought in aren't doing too shabby.he's got a lot of good young players on his side of the ball

I cant disagree with you on that.
but I do feel that he has a much smaller margin of error given the atrocious special teams and defense.
Im curious to see how he does once Goldens dline recruits are gone. As bad as it sounds he was left with much more than he has recruited.

I agree. Is Manny’s Defense perfect? **** no. But it’s kinda hard to bash the guy when his unit is forced every single game to play with their backs against the wall because of our optimist level Offense and Special Teams.

His Defensive methods need some fine tuning, but I can live with that. It’s like complaining about your bad back when your kidneys and liver are failing.

The D put the team in its back and won the FSU game after getting our **** pushed in for an entire half. For that inspirational performance alone I salute Manny.

Suppose:
1. We lose the rest of our games, but the D plays OK (yeah, I know)
2. Manny gets an HC offer
3. Manny gives The U a chance to match salary and position
4. Does the BOT have Flake fire Mork and make Manny the HC?

Doubtful that Manny gets a P5 HC offer that's going to net him $4+ million per year. His offers will likely be around the G5 level, Purdue-level at the most. Neither of which are going to pay him that. I also don't see the board going down this route either.

Have we not learned yet from our mistakes of be confident in a guy that can talk the talk? Manny should in no way be the HC of this program. He has yet to prove to be an elite DC, everytime we play someone with a pulse, he gets outschemed. He looks pretty good against teams we are superior to in talent. Not saying he is a bad DC, he is a solid one but hardly elite and hardly Miami HC material, unless of course we want to continue the trend of the last 15 years?

I’m not opposed of a young up and coming coach here, but he needs to show he is elite, something Diaz has not shown yet ever.

Advertisement
the last minute of that interview is everything that is wrong with this year's team starting week 1 with the feagles 20 yard punts

Advertisement
Back