Manny Diaz interview

....and Kirby Smart might have something to say about the need to hire an experienced HC. Be realistic guys.

Advertisement
This and we don’t need a first time head coach who will learn on the job. We need a head coach w/ at least 5 years of exp

I know Lincoln Riley's doing a really ****** job at OU. Jimbo really struggled at first at FSU, Herman really struggled at Houston.

That expectation that they have to have HC experience is limiting our coaching pool substantially. Sure I want guys that have been HC's but that doesn't need to immediately disqualify someone at the same time.

Last edited:
Manny still has a fire in his belly. Signs of life there. That's refreshing.

As for our next HC, he needs to have a plan that matches what he says he wants and is able to bring in. You say you want speed Coach Mark? Use the speed them. Get the freaking ball into the hands of these kids you brought in with speed. The guys that have this speed and play on the outside (WR for example) can handle the ACC as freshmen. Play your best guys and let them make plays.

I’m NOT saying I disagree with you but Oklahoma is doing alright with Riley. I know, an exception of sorts, just pointing out that he’s got that it. Like a Sean McVay. Or, imagine Miami had chosen Campbell out of Toledo when Miami hired Richt.

Again, not disagreeing. But the right coach … gotta consider it even if he hasn’t been the head coach for 5 years (Campbell had 3 at the time).

Of course.
I feel you but at the same time Kirby Smart is a first time head coach and doing much better than our HC who has 16 plus years experience.

We just need the right man for the job regardless of experience. Not saying that's Manny....Ijs

Of course, I agree and down the line I wouldn’t mind hiring a coordinator. However, Bob Stoops went 190-48 before Riley took over while Richt went 145-41 before Smart took over. We have been 139-67 with 5 different coaches since 2000 (with a large portion of those wins happening 15+ years ago). Those schools were in a much better position to bring in a coordinator as a first time head coach

Advertisement
Look, Manny has his prollems, but I'll take him as HC right now.

No second guessing.

I wanted Babers, Herman, or Durkin. I'll still take Joey Freshwater or Leach.

If we're talking OC only - any of those mentioned as realistically available by the sages on the board work for me.

If Rekt has an epiphany and steps down, I wouldn't be salty at all if Manny got his shot.

We ain't getting any of these, so let's hope Manny don't get poached this carousel round, we get an OC and some Asst. changes - Hartley, Searles and Jr. TFOH....we might be better next year.

Picturing Diaz as HC with a young and aggressive OC would scare the **** out of the ACC and college coaches worldwide. It's so obvious that needs to happen but CMR/Board is too **** stubborn.

Of course.

Of course, I agree and down the line I wouldn’t mind hiring a coordinator. However, Bob Stoops went 190-48 before Riley took over while Richt went 145-41 before Smart took over. We have been 139-67 with 5 different coaches since 2000 (with a large portion of those wins happening 15+ years ago). Those schools were in a much better position to bring in a coordinator as a first time head coach

Well what about when Stoops took over? I honestly just want us to get a guy that's a whiz on his particular side of the ball.

Advertisement
He's got that politician gene. But fvck all that talkin, show me. Show me more 3 and outs. Show me less MEs. Show me we can stop a team that passes 3x per game.

The defense has been very good this year especially having been put in a lot of bad spots but we essentially needed them to be perfect to have a good season with how bad the offense and special teams are. The defense had chances three weeks in a row to save the day and couldn't find a way to do it.

And completely getting undressed on defense when we have everything to play for, the Clemson game comes to mind, bowl game last year, Boston college game this year

He's been outschemed many times...

Yeah I know

Gotta disagree with the sentiment here. We've been out-schemed during his time here, yes. But mostly what it comes down to is being out-physicalled against big strong teams that like to pound the ball. When we give up more than our average yards-per-play, the defense tends to try to make plays as individuals (because part of our defensive mentality is to take chances in order to create big negative plays for the offense).

We are an aggressive team defensively and teams can use that against us at times. That is evidence of being out-schemed. With this, I concur.

But this doesn't occur consistently throughout the totality of a game. What this typically does to Miami is it allows PHYSICAL teams to pound us later in games, once we're tired because we're limited on the DL and in the box since we play smaller/quicker guys. This reduces the number of chances our O has the ball and keeps us from getting those late stops we need to win close games.

Manny is best suited to be the D-Coordinator for an aggressive/hi-powered offensive HC/OC. His teams, with the lead are unstoppable. The problem is that with Richt, we don't play with the lead very often which allows the chinks in the armor of this defense to show (gambling/risk-taking/speed-over-size).

If you notice the energy and ability our defense plays with is better when we're scoring more. This is bigger than the simple boost college kids get from momentum. It's because the style of D we play is better suited for playing with the lead than playing from behind.

SN: Diaz with Lincoln Riley would be a SCARY thought for the rest of college football. One or two stops early in the game would create the type of lead that a Diaz-coached defense would feast off of. That type of combination here in Miami would lead to the type of results Canes fans have waited a LONG time for.

Advertisement
Gotta disagree with the sentiment here. We've been out-schemed during his time here, yes. But mostly what it comes down to is being out-physicalled against big strong teams that like to pound the ball. When we give up more than our average yards-per-play, the defense tends to try to make plays as individuals (because part of our defensive mentality is to take chances in order to create big negative plays for the offense).

We are an aggressive team defensively and teams can use that against us at times. That is evidence of being out-schemed. With this, I concur.

But this doesn't occur consistently throughout the totality of a game. What this typically does to Miami is it allows PHYSICAL teams to pound us later in games, once we're tired because we're limited on the DL and in the box since we play smaller/quicker guys. This reduces the number of chances our O has the ball and keeps us from getting those late stops we need to win close games.

Manny is best suited to be the D-Coordinator for an aggressive/hi-powered offensive HC/OC. His teams, with the lead are unstoppable. The problem is that with Richt, we don't play with the lead very often which allows the chinks in the armor of this defense to show (gambling/risk-taking/speed-over-size).

If you notice the energy and ability our defense plays with is better when we're scoring more. This is bigger than the simple boost college kids get from momentum. It's because the style of D we play is better suited for playing with the lead than playing from behind.

SN: Diaz with Lincoln Riley would be a SCARY thought for the rest of college football. One or two stops early in the game would create the type of lead that a Diaz-coached defense would feast off of. That type of combination here in Miami would lead to the type of results Canes fans have waited a LONG time for.
You can disagree all you want.....Not only isn't he an Elite DC....He's nowhere near it....The last TRULY Great DC was Sonny Lubick.....Wannstadt was very Good...Greg McMacklin was very Good....Shannon was Good....but ONLY Lubick was Elite....

He’s not getting **** canned because he’s our best recruiter next to Dugans and he does amazing with TE
I get the recruiting point but where do people get that he’s a “great” TE coach, **** even a good one? He inherited Njoku and Herndon. Jr was a fail and he RECRUITED the 2 best TEs last year. What has he done to prove he’s a good coach?

Advertisement
I think the big thing with Manny his defense is built on aggression and getting penetration. This type of defense works best when playing ahead because it takes many risks. That's why I think the field position and lack of offense and always playing from behind has hindered him greatly. He's not the best DC in the business but hes far far superior than our OC. Hook him up with an OC that will give him a lead and score regularly and watch out.

I think the big thing with Manny his defense is built on aggression and getting penetration. This type of defense works best when playing ahead because it takes many risks. That's why I think the field position and lack of offense and always playing from behind has hindered him greatly. He's not the best DC in the business but hes far far superior than our OC. Hook him up with an OC that will give him a lead and score regularly and watch out.
You can be aggressive...but then there's stupidity, like Blitzing 500 times a game, when your LBers biggest weakness is Pass Coverage....Gap integrity has been trash...LBers taking TERRIBLE angles....Tackling is atrocious...

Y’all are mistaken if you don’t see the numerous HC qualities this man possesses. It’s not his time right now, but one day he will be a great head coach. Smart, meticulous, has that fire, players respect tf out of him.

Not only that, but being that offense isn’t his speciality, he’d recognize that since he’s an objective person and hire a great OC. He’s tired of knowing he’s going to lose once his D let’s up points in the teens.

Next year is his last year as DC here. He gets HC in 2020 or leaves.

Advertisement
Back