Mandy Diaz: Coward & Liar, or Ruthless Man of Action?

Advertisement
Why don't fans ever remember the exodus of players and recruits when coaches leave? It's the flip side of the same coin. You don't get to can the offensive coordinator and hold onto the coaches you like and all the recruits that signed on (or bought in) for that staff. If Enos is canned Manny is almost for sure canning his staff with him.

Manny lost (or got rid of) the below players:

Smith, Reed, Mahoney, Milo, Hightower, Bethel, Weldon, Martin, Cager, Ezzard, Feagles, and 3 underclassmen who declared for the draft early - 1 who didn't get drafted. There are more that will leave. Many fans will scoff at that list as a bunch of scrubs but a lot of them were highly rated recruits. That list also doesn't include the 2019 recruits that bailed on the program.

Fans should assume 10-20 players leave every time a coordinator or head coach gets canned as well as another 5-10 recruits. With this team having 75 scholarship players today (and rumors of more players wanting to leave) are we as fans ready to see this team get pared down to 50-60 scholarship players for the 2020 season? What kind of innovative offensive coordinator is going to come in with 0 of his own recruits, 2 upperclassmen offensive linemen (if they stay) and low overall numbers and turn this around?

The team is limited by rules on how many players can be enrolled, it's not like Miami could take a class of 40 kids in 2021.

I'm not a huge fan of Enos's play calling or his preference to move away from what works. Cutting him loose may be a long term fix, it may not be. Short term it would not be an improvement in my opinion. The focus on short term results all the time is what gets programs into this mess.

Why would 10-20 players leave Miami if Enos is fired? That’s ridiculous.

I’m sure most of the players hate his guts right now. He makes offensive players look like **** and makes the defense be on the field constantly bc the offense sucks.

Brevin Jordan is getting less then 4 touches a game, pretty sure that’s about all you need to know.

Why would 10-20 players leave Miami if Enos is fired? That’s ridiculous.

I’m sure most of the players hate his guts right now. He makes offensive players look like **** and makes the defense be on the field constantly bc the offense sucks.

Brevin Jordan is getting less then 4 touches a game, pretty sure that’s about all you need to know.

Why wouldn't they leave?

Enos is fired, his staff is fired. His staff that had the balls (or idiocy) to start guys like Clark, Zion, etc... Maybe the new offensive line coach likes fat road graders who they develop over years like Florida recruits? The current offensive line recruits signed on and built relationships with Butch Barry, not Manny Diaz. The receivers have already been leaving, their 3rd offensive philosophy in 3 years is a great reason for the rest to leave.

Van Dyke, the highly recruited quarterback signed on to be coached by Enos, not whoever replaces him.

I get the team wouldn't lose guys like Chaney, or Mammarelli, but there would be recruiting losses. There would be player losses. Richt and his bad offense left and so did a large portion of the offensive players, why?

We can hate on Enos all we want but to believe we get to fire him and then only good things and improvements happen is laughably optimistic. The fans wanted Richt's offense out and they got another offense that may be worse today. Instead of trying to build something we want it blown up again 8 games in. A lot of fans want the program, coaching staff, and players continuously gutted every year and then wonder why the program sucks.

Last edited:
Let's journey back to January, eh PLAYERS?

A time when rumors of Applewhite, Fedora, and the Clemson guy swirled like turds down a toilet. A time of hope and optimism. It took Mandy a while to make his OC hire, as he claimed no one would care about the timeline as long as he "got it right." Well, spoiler alert amigo, ya ******* got it dead *** wrong, BROTHER.

Anyway, his awful decision aside, here's what Manny was pumping out about his potential OC hire at the time:

Welp. That was a ******* lie.

Let's break this down. As you know, we are none of these things Mandy claimed to desire on offense, and I'm still not sure why he hired Dan Penos if these were his goals, as Penos' offense is not, and has never been, any of these things. Instead, we're marching out what looks to be some random NY Giants offense from 1993 on most plays, and we occasionally mix in some painfully telegraphed end arounds every now and then if we're REALLY feeling crazy. Wow, Dan, so edgy.

So, let's situate ourselves in the present and see where we stand. We know what Mandy claimed to want, and we see with our own god damned eyeballs we are the opposite of that, but how about quantitive data on the subject? Is Penos as bad as he seems?

Our offense vs FBS teams this season:

94th in plays run
79th in yards per play
95th in total yards
104th in points scored
128th in 3rd down conversions
113th in redzone TD percentage
125th in redzone scoring percentage

Oooookay, wow, holy shlt-- so it's even worse than I thought. What the fvck, Dan? Jesus. So we're not fast, innovative, or cutting-edge. We run a slow pace, we can't score, can't move the ball, and can't convert to sustain drives. Alright then.

Tough to shake off those repulsive numbers but let's try to not let permanent failure and *** ******* Dan Penos derail this post.

Now, back to the matter at hand: Mandy also commented on his OC hire that he wanted an offense that was exciting enough to attract recruits and keep kids home. I ask you, if you're a WR or RB from the great God's country and football powerhouse of Broward County, do you want to come play for this offense after watching the Pitt game or would you rather have all your pubes plucked out one-by-one while blowing your dad in broad daylight? Exactly. Me too.

So Mandy finds himself flailing around in year 1 with a 4-4 record and arguably the worst offense of any Power 5 progrum. The real kicker? Vs FBS teams, Mandy's defense is top 25 in every category listed above except for opponents 3rd down conversions.

What does this mean? If Mandy didn't completely shlt his guayabera on the OC hire, he is looking at a much better season right now and those Touchdown Rings look a lot less ridiculous and the Canes Air Force is firmly grounded in their hangars.

Mandy screwed up as a new head coach, but where does he go from here? That brings us to the big question of my post. Mandy is at a crossroads right now. This offseason, he has the choice of either becoming Al Golden, or giving himself a fighting chance to actually have a successful career at Miami. Al Golden also found himself stuck with a terrible coordinator hire whose unit checked in around the 90s or worse in almost every category, and he refused to adapt and make a change. He's cleaning urinals for the Lions now.

The truly elite, championship-winning coaches like Urban and Saban would pull the plug on their own grandmothers to land a recruit. They'd run a bus full of orphans off of a cliff to secure a title. Winning requires you to be cutthroat and able to recognize when you've made a mistake. But you also need to be capable eliminating that mistake and eradicating the rot swiftly and decisively. Mandy doesn't have time to have bad seasons as a new coach, especially not when he's been here now for 4 seasons in some capacity. There is no time to waste.

Is Mandy a ruthless badass capable of making the tough decision necessary to save his career and this progrum, or is he a moron that will stay loyal to Penos, ignore what's in front of him, and instead opt to blame the players and execution, refusing to rectify his mistake in enough time to stop the bleeding?

Mandy has two choices in the coming months:

He can make the move of an elite level head coach by giving a nod to the executioner and allowing the sword to swing, ending the Penos era and clearing the way for him to hire the type of OC he claimed to originally want; or he can be too stubborn/stupid to realize the disease that must be eliminated in order for him to have a chance to succeed.

I fear it'll be the latter, but for the sake of our dying progrum, I hope he stuns us all and sends Dan Penos back to the depths of 1990's football **** where he belongs-- otherwise, we'll be firing up another head coaching search very soon.

All of this but it also applies to Patke. Does he have what it takes to fire or demote his friend and hire a real special teams coach?

Advertisement
Why wouldn't they leave?

Enos is fired, his staff is fired. His staff that had the balls (or idiocy) to start guys like Clark, Zion, etc... Maybe the new offensive line coach likes fat road graders who they develop over years like Florida recruits? The current offensive line recruits signed on and built relationships with Butch Barry, not Manny Diaz. The receivers have already been leaving, their 3rd offensive philosophy in 3 years is a great reason for the rest to leave.

Van Dyke, the highly recruited quarterback signed on to be coached by Enos, not whoever replaces him.

I get the team wouldn't lose guys like Chaney, or Mammarelli, but there would be recruiting losses. There would be player losses. Richt and his bad offense left and so did a large portion of the offensive players, why?

We can hate on Enos all we want but to believe we get to fire him and then only good things and improvements happen is laughably optimistic.

You said 10-20 players. Sure some recruits might move on but that’s a small price to pay to actually hire an OC who would bring an actual modern offense to Miami.

WR leave when they don’t get the ball. We have had 4 years (Richt, Enos) of OCs who have no idea how to get their WRs/playmakers in space.

I posted something similar earlier but why would a skill position player want to come to Miami after watching this offense? Firing Enos allows us to sell that potentially we could have an exciting offense that puts up points. Keeping him ensures that’s not possible.

Come to Miami, play in an outdated scheme, run at a snails pace. Sweet recruiting pitch.

Don't you mean "irregardless"? Didn't they teach you grammar in public schools on Miami Beach? Which junior high did you go to?
Lol. I went to the the one with the pink polo player statue on the corner... which has since been moved.

It will be interesting to see what happens this off-season. Manny being a defensive guy isn't going to fire Enos midseason when we have no one who is remotely qualified to call plays behind him. If he gives him the boot after year 1 then Manny has a chance to save himself. One issue I see is Manny doesn't exactly have a strong Rolodex where he can call someone up and most young coaches hire guys they know which is why we ended up with below average coaches like Baker, Patke and Banda.
Mullens people went to UF with him. And he coached under Mack brown
You said 10-20 players. Sure some recruits might move on but that’s a small price to pay to actually hire an OC who would bring an actual modern offense to Miami.

WR leave when they don’t get the ball. We have had 4 years (Richt, Enos) of OCs who have no idea how to get their WRs/playmakers in space.

I posted something similar earlier but why would a skill position player want to come to Miami after watching this offense? Firing Enos allows us to sell that potentially we could have an exciting offense that puts up points. Keeping him ensures that’s not possible.

Come to Miami, play in an outdated scheme, run at a snails pace. Sweet recruiting pitch.
yhat scheme would work at uga or bama. We don’t have the horses for it

He better strap on his helmet and put his mouth piece on because FSU is gunning for us BIG TIME. I have a really bad feeling about this game and I hope I am wrong.
I can see FSU smoking us, and I almost always pick us.

We can’t cover anyone, and they’ve got some dangerous receivers. McKunty will kill us. We have no one close to able to cover Terry. Akers is a total monster. He’s even throwing passes now.

Not to mention, Hornifacquit ripped Manure’s colon out 2 years ago throwing to a bunch of turds.

Advertisement
good news in all of this is unlike HC's coordinators and position coaches are usually on a year to year contract which makes it a lot easier to run their a$$es up the road when they turn out to be completely opposite of what you told the world you wanted in one.

I believe Enos has a 3 year contract. That's what was said on another board.....

Unless the bottom drops completely out - 4-8 - I don't see many, if any, coaching changes. On the field performance will determine if changes are/are not made.

In his presser today, Enos was almost giddy. Very complimentary of both Kosi and Jarren. As difficult as it's been at times, I watch the pressers because it gives me insight into their mindsets.

Obviously, Manny's, Enos', and Baker's demeanor is different after a win or a loss. Manny and Baker are fairly consistent. Enos is somewhat erratic.

Just some observations. TIFWIW.

Advertisement
Why don't fans ever remember the exodus of players and recruits when coaches leave? It's the flip side of the same coin. You don't get to can the offensive coordinator and hold onto the coaches you like and all the recruits that signed on (or bought in) for that staff. If Enos is canned Manny is almost for sure canning his staff with him.

Manny lost (or got rid of) the below players:

Smith, Reed, Mahoney, Milo, Hightower, Bethel, Weldon, Martin, Cager, Ezzard, Feagles, and 3 underclassmen who declared for the draft early - 1 who didn't get drafted. There are more that will leave. Many fans will scoff at that list as a bunch of scrubs but a lot of them were highly rated recruits. That list also doesn't include the 2019 recruits that bailed on the program.

Fans should assume 10-20 players leave every time a coordinator or head coach gets canned as well as another 5-10 recruits. With this team having 75 scholarship players today (and rumors of more players wanting to leave) are we as fans ready to see this team get pared down to 50-60 scholarship players for the 2020 season? What kind of innovative offensive coordinator is going to come in with 0 of his own recruits, 2 upperclassmen offensive linemen (if they stay) and low overall numbers and turn this around? The same fans who hate Enos would hate him after 8 games too.

The team is limited by rules on how many players can be enrolled, it's not like Miami could take a class of 40 kids in 2021.

I'm not a huge fan of Enos's play calling or his preference to move away from what works. Cutting him loose may be a long term fix, it may not be. Short term it would not be an improvement in my opinion.
Newsflash! Players are leaving with Enos here right now! Hightower is out, Reed left, and I'm sure there'll be more.

Besides the fact that players will transfer regardless of who's coaching, what good is having players on the roster if we're continually misusing them? Jeff Thomas came back he's been basically invisible with Enos calling plays. Mallory seems to have regressed. Our best WR is a Buffalo transfer.

The entire offense is broken and keeping Enos here to limit transfers won't fix the problem.

Let's journey back to January, eh PLAYERS?

A time when rumors of Applewhite, Fedora, and the Clemson guy swirled like turds down a toilet. A time of hope and optimism. It took Mandy a while to make his OC hire, as he claimed no one would care about the timeline as long as he "got it right." Well, spoiler alert amigo, ya ******* got it dead *** wrong, BROTHER.

Anyway, his awful decision aside, here's what Manny was pumping out about his potential OC hire at the time:

Welp. That was a ******* lie.

Let's break this down. As you know, we are none of these things Mandy claimed to desire on offense, and I'm still not sure why he hired Dan Penos if these were his goals, as Penos' offense is not, and has never been, any of these things. Instead, we're marching out what looks to be some random NY Giants offense from 1993 on most plays, and we occasionally mix in some painfully telegraphed end arounds every now and then if we're REALLY feeling crazy. Wow, Dan, so edgy.

So, let's situate ourselves in the present and see where we stand. We know what Mandy claimed to want, and we see with our own god damned eyeballs we are the opposite of that, but how about quantitive data on the subject? Is Penos as bad as he seems?

Our offense vs FBS teams this season:

94th in plays run
79th in yards per play
95th in total yards
104th in points scored
128th in 3rd down conversions
113th in redzone TD percentage
125th in redzone scoring percentage

Oooookay, wow, holy shlt-- so it's even worse than I thought. What the fvck, Dan? Jesus. So we're not fast, innovative, or cutting-edge. We run a slow pace, we can't score, can't move the ball, and can't convert to sustain drives. Alright then.

Tough to shake off those repulsive numbers but let's try to not let permanent failure and *** ******* Dan Penos derail this post.

Now, back to the matter at hand: Mandy also commented on his OC hire that he wanted an offense that was exciting enough to attract recruits and keep kids home. I ask you, if you're a WR or RB from the great God's country and football powerhouse of Broward County, do you want to come play for this offense after watching the Pitt game or would you rather have all your pubes plucked out one-by-one while blowing your dad in broad daylight? Exactly. Me too.

So Mandy finds himself flailing around in year 1 with a 4-4 record and arguably the worst offense of any Power 5 progrum. The real kicker? Vs FBS teams, Mandy's defense is top 25 in every category listed above except for opponents 3rd down conversions.

What does this mean? If Mandy didn't completely shlt his guayabera on the OC hire, he is looking at a much better season right now and those Touchdown Rings look a lot less ridiculous and the Canes Air Force is firmly grounded in their hangars.

Mandy screwed up as a new head coach, but where does he go from here? That brings us to the big question of my post. Mandy is at a crossroads right now. This offseason, he has the choice of either becoming Al Golden, or giving himself a fighting chance to actually have a successful career at Miami. Al Golden also found himself stuck with a terrible coordinator hire whose unit checked in around the 90s or worse in almost every category, and he refused to adapt and make a change. He's cleaning urinals for the Lions now.

The truly elite, championship-winning coaches like Urban and Saban would pull the plug on their own grandmothers to land a recruit. They'd run a bus full of orphans off of a cliff to secure a title. Winning requires you to be cutthroat and able to recognize when you've made a mistake. But you also need to be capable eliminating that mistake and eradicating the rot swiftly and decisively. Mandy doesn't have time to have bad seasons as a new coach, especially not when he's been here now for 4 seasons in some capacity. There is no time to waste.

Is Mandy a ruthless badass capable of making the tough decision necessary to save his career and this progrum, or is he a moron that will stay loyal to Penos, ignore what's in front of him, and instead opt to blame the players and execution, refusing to rectify his mistake in enough time to stop the bleeding?

Mandy has two choices in the coming months:

He can make the move of an elite level head coach by giving a nod to the executioner and allowing the sword to swing, ending the Penos era and clearing the way for him to hire the type of OC he claimed to originally want; or he can be too stubborn/stupid to realize the disease that must be eliminated in order for him to have a chance to succeed.

I fear it'll be the latter, but for the sake of our dying progrum, I hope he stuns us all and sends Dan Penos back to the depths of 1990's football **** where he belongs-- otherwise, we'll be firing up another head coaching search very soon.

Whats sad and ironic is that at the beginning of the 90's with Erickson, UM was running the spread... We need to go back to the future like McFly

Unless the bottom drops completely out - 4-8 - I don't see many, if any, coaching changes. On the field performance will determine if changes are/are not made.

In his presser today, Enos was almost giddy. Very complimentary of both Kosi and Jarren. As difficult as it's been at times, I watch the pressers because it gives me insight into their mindsets.

Obviously, Manny's, Enos', and Baker's demeanor is different after a win or a loss. Manny and Baker are fairly consistent. Enos is somewhat erratic.

Just some observations. TIFWIW.
Manny and Enos both laid the groundwork today for the company line theyll go with to excuse the offenses ineptitude.

Check out Barry's article from today.

Basically, they're going with the offense has played well enough to win every game and that they've played some tough defenses.

Expect no changes.

Advertisement
Manny and Enos both laid the groundwork today for the company line theyll go with to excuse the offenses ineptitude.

Check out Barry's article from today.

Basically, they're going with the offense has played well enough to win every game and that they've played some tough defenses.

Expect no changes.
I’m not saying your wrong but if he goes with that then next year will be his last here

Dan isn't getting fired. But he could walk away once Manny makes some moves that impact his offense such as firing Butch Barry.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Back