Mandy Diaz: Coward & Liar, or Ruthless Man of Action?

Advertisement
Tough to shake off those repulsive numbers but let's try to not let permanent failure and *** ******* Dan Penos derail this post.

Now, back to the matter at hand: Mandy also commented on his OC hire that he wanted an offense that was exciting enough to attract recruits and keep kids home. I ask you, if you're a WR or RB from the great God's country and football powerhouse of Broward County, do you want to come play for this offense after watching the Pitt game or would you rather have all your pubes plucked out one-by-one while blowing your dad in broad daylight? Exactly. Me too.
I am having a bad day on a personal level and was in need of a good laugh. Thank you, OP.

The red zone TD % is especially concerning with our kicker situation. Gotta find a way to punch it in. Enos isn’t the guy.

Manure’s defense is **** too. He’s had the benefit of facing a couple putrid offenses and benefitted from a bunch of drops. I have a feeling Briles is going to bring Sam Ukwuachu in to rape Manure this weekend while he laughs.

I question Manure’s ability to lead and get guys to buy in. He can drop pellets on Enos like Coker and Shanntard did on so many coordinators, but that doesn’t usually work.
Legit question: is this manny’s defense? It doesn’t look like what we have (consistently) seen for the past 3 years. DEs dropping into coverage, for example. It seems like Baker has a lot of leeway or influence.

I know manny said he was going to get more involved, and it’s looked better the past few weeks. Hopefully that trend continues going forward. But my question, again, is to what extent did manny hand the keys to baker?

Advertisement
the defensive numbers are so misleading to me. I look at UNC's defense/new defensive coordinator Jay Bateman:

59th in passing efficiency defense
57th in total defense
53rd in scoring defense
51st in 3rd down conversions pct defense
73rd in rushing defense
36th in sacks
55th in turnovers gained

but you look at the fact that they have gone against

#7 scoring offense Clemson (held to 21 pts instead of 42.4 ppg)
#18 scoring offense Wake Forest (held to 24 pts instead of 37.1 ppg)
#9 scoring offense Appalachian State (34 instead of 41 ppg)

even #77 South Carolina held to 23 from 27.6
#63 Duke held to 17 from 29.5
#59 TechVT held to 43 from 30 ppg (6OT)
even #84 us held to 25 from 26.8 (small but still)

# 119 GT allowed 22 (and they average 18) scored more than their average.

Look at us, though, with our much higher ranked defensive numbers:

UF #45 scoring offense (held to 24 from 32 ppg)
UNC # 79 scoring offense (allowed 28 and they average 27.5). A wash but still bolding)
CMU #74 scoring offense (held to 12 and they average 28)
VT # 59 scoring offense (allowed 42 and they average 30 ppg)
UVA # 61 scoring offense (allowed 9 and they average 29.9)
#119 GT allowed 28 but they average 22
Pitt #115 allowed 12 but they average 21

We've certainly held some teams below (UVA and CMU most pronounced) but on average we are facing 79th ranked scoring offenses and they are facing 55th. The best offense we have faced was UF and that was with Franks and not Trask (who looks much better at QB so that would have likely been worse).

Our defense so far has proven almost nothing and has faced a Feliepe Franks UF team as the top offense this year. Wow. Plus you factor in historical recruiting we simply have on average more talent at each level of defense than they have and it makes it worse.

Duke, Louisville, and FSU will each be better offenses then we on average have faced so far this year.

Louisville‘s quarterback is lightning quick. I am absolutely not looking forward to watching 55 chase him around.

Unless the bottom drops completely out - 4-8 - I don't see many, if any, coaching changes. On the field performance will determine if changes are/are not made.

In his presser today, Enos was almost giddy. Very complimentary of both Kosi and Jarren. As difficult as it's been at times, I watch the pressers because it gives me insight into their mindsets.

Obviously, Manny's, Enos', and Baker's demeanor is different after a win or a loss. Manny and Baker are fairly consistent. Enos is somewhat erratic.

Just some observations. TIFWIW.
I think your right.

Manure’s defense is **** too. He’s had the benefit of facing a couple putrid offenses and benefitted from a bunch of drops. I have a feeling Briles is going to bring Sam Ukwuachu in to rape Manure this weekend while he laughs.

I question Manure’s ability to lead and get guys to buy in. He can drop pellets on Enos like Coker and Shanntard did on so many coordinators, but that doesn’t usually work.

If Shandy allows 55 to stay in on 3rd down, and insists on having him chase FSU’s midget power lifter of a RB, I’m thinking we’re going to be in for a long day.

I really like Manny and hope it works out for him, but the only way that happens is if Enos gets canned. I think he’s a solid QB developer but nothing more than that, he can’t run an offense and Manny will be making his bed if he doesn’t get rid of Enos at the end of the season
JW, what do you say to those that see what he did at Arkansas and he is currently working with a 1st year starter at QB and multiple freshmen starters on the OL so his offense is handicapped by this?

Advertisement
How do we feel about the rush package with GR at NT? It seems to be somewhat effective - mainly bc GR is a freak of nature - but I can’t help but wonder why garvin isn’t inside and GR at DE.

Any thoughts ?

Rousseau can win in multiple ways. He has the length and fluidity to beat his man inside or outside. Garvin is a straight-line edge rusher with no pass rush plan or skill with his hands. As an inside rusher he would be very predictable and it would be harder for him to beat blocks relatively untouched because space is confined and contact happens sooner inside. That would further expose his absent hand use.

If you're looking for a DE to kick inside instead of 15 I'd go with Hill.

Let's journey back to January, eh PLAYERS?

A time when rumors of Applewhite, Fedora, and the Clemson guy swirled like turds down a toilet. A time of hope and optimism. It took Mandy a while to make his OC hire, as he claimed no one would care about the timeline as long as he "got it right." Well, spoiler alert amigo, ya ******* got it dead *** wrong, BROTHER.

Anyway, his awful decision aside, here's what Manny was pumping out about his potential OC hire at the time:

Welp. That was a ******* lie.

Let's break this down. As you know, we are none of these things Mandy claimed to desire on offense, and I'm still not sure why he hired Dan Penos if these were his goals, as Penos' offense is not, and has never been, any of these things. Instead, we're marching out what looks to be some random NY Giants offense from 1993 on most plays, and we occasionally mix in some painfully telegraphed end arounds every now and then if we're REALLY feeling crazy. Wow, Dan, so edgy.

So, let's situate ourselves in the present and see where we stand. We know what Mandy claimed to want, and we see with our own god damned eyeballs we are the opposite of that, but how about quantitive data on the subject? Is Penos as bad as he seems?

Our offense vs FBS teams this season:

94th in plays run
79th in yards per play
95th in total yards
104th in points scored
128th in 3rd down conversions
113th in redzone TD percentage
125th in redzone scoring percentage

Oooookay, wow, holy shlt-- so it's even worse than I thought. What the fvck, Dan? Jesus. So we're not fast, innovative, or cutting-edge. We run a slow pace, we can't score, can't move the ball, and can't convert to sustain drives. Alright then.

Tough to shake off those repulsive numbers but let's try to not let permanent failure and *** ******* Dan Penos derail this post.

Now, back to the matter at hand: Mandy also commented on his OC hire that he wanted an offense that was exciting enough to attract recruits and keep kids home. I ask you, if you're a WR or RB from the great God's country and football powerhouse of Broward County, do you want to come play for this offense after watching the Pitt game or would you rather have all your pubes plucked out one-by-one while blowing your dad in broad daylight? Exactly. Me too.

So Mandy finds himself flailing around in year 1 with a 4-4 record and arguably the worst offense of any Power 5 progrum. The real kicker? Vs FBS teams, Mandy's defense is top 25 in every category listed above except for opponents 3rd down conversions.

What does this mean? If Mandy didn't completely shlt his guayabera on the OC hire, he is looking at a much better season right now and those Touchdown Rings look a lot less ridiculous and the Canes Air Force is firmly grounded in their hangars.

Mandy screwed up as a new head coach, but where does he go from here? That brings us to the big question of my post. Mandy is at a crossroads right now. This offseason, he has the choice of either becoming Al Golden, or giving himself a fighting chance to actually have a successful career at Miami. Al Golden also found himself stuck with a terrible coordinator hire whose unit checked in around the 90s or worse in almost every category, and he refused to adapt and make a change. He's cleaning urinals for the Lions now.

The truly elite, championship-winning coaches like Urban and Saban would pull the plug on their own grandmothers to land a recruit. They'd run a bus full of orphans off of a cliff to secure a title. Winning requires you to be cutthroat and able to recognize when you've made a mistake. But you also need to be capable eliminating that mistake and eradicating the rot swiftly and decisively. Mandy doesn't have time to have bad seasons as a new coach, especially not when he's been here now for 4 seasons in some capacity. There is no time to waste.

Is Mandy a ruthless badass capable of making the tough decision necessary to save his career and this progrum, or is he a moron that will stay loyal to Penos, ignore what's in front of him, and instead opt to blame the players and execution, refusing to rectify his mistake in enough time to stop the bleeding?

Mandy has two choices in the coming months:

He can make the move of an elite level head coach by giving a nod to the executioner and allowing the sword to swing, ending the Penos era and clearing the way for him to hire the type of OC he claimed to originally want; or he can be too stubborn/stupid to realize the disease that must be eliminated in order for him to have a chance to succeed.

I fear it'll be the latter, but for the sake of our dying progrum, I hope he stuns us all and sends Dan Penos back to the depths of 1990's football **** where he belongs-- otherwise, we'll be firing up another head coaching search very soon.
Only way Manny keeps any semblance of potentially keeping his job beyond year 3 is to fire Enos day one of the off-season. I’ll give him credit if he has the balls to do it. We wait.

I don't disagree with you about selling players and recruits on this awful offense but the team does have recruits. The team does have players who are starting or getting the opportunity to start in this system. There is zero guarantee they get that with a new staff. This bad team still has the 17th ranked recruiting class and is top 25 in team talent. How many years in a row can a program implement a new offense before the team is just a bunch of freshmen and unmotivated holdovers sick of trying new offenses doomed to fail?

Again 10-20 players is entirely reasonable. Look around college football and what happens when new coaches come in. Virginia Tech had 19 transfers this year, that's not including guys quitting, being kicked off the team, or declaring early. The exodus almost always occurs.

Yet, VT is better than us.
Yes, they are.

I don't think you're completely off base, but you are putting too much weight on continuity argument. You aren't seeing opportunity to yield immediate improvement on offense if we get a OC and staff with THESE players. Coaching matters. Will never back off of that.

JW, what do you say to those that see what he did at Arkansas and he is currently working with a 1st year starter at QB and multiple freshmen starters on the OL so his offense is handicapped by this?
A successful coach adapts to his current personnel first and foremost. He's been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole this season. Yes we have serious O-Line issues but Enos is also setting them and our QBs up for failure with this system. Enos really had 1 pretty good year as OC at Arkansas if I can recall the numbers correctly off the top of my head without looking it up, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't believe Manny can wait several years to get the offense humming.

Advertisement
Yet, VT is better than us.
Yes, they are.

I don't think you're completely off base, but you are putting too much weight on continuity argument. You aren't seeing opportunity to yield immediate improvement on offense if we get a OC and staff with THESE players. Coaching matters. Will never back off of that.

I think this team today as it is constructed and coached is a kicker, and a starting veteran offensive tackle from running away with the division. The defense giving up late scores has been an issue as well. The offense isn't up to snuff but this team is a handful of plays from a much better record. Fighting and being close gives a floor to the potential of this team going forward is my hope.

I am putting the weight on the continuity of changing the culture, development, and coaching to what Manny and his staff want. I'm viewing this from the viewpoint of long term incrementalism. Whether the coaches are correct in their coaching and philosophy is a different discussion to me. I don't think this change happens over night or even in one year. The deadweight and the players who refuse to change must leave at some point. Miami still has dead weight to shed with regards to players, they still have players who likely haven't changed their ways. Virginia Tech from a talent and depth perspective should have been destroyed by Miami. They weren't. I think most would agree that Virginia Tech is headed in the wrong direction with their coach and their team, but that team has been gutted of anyone who wants to leave or won't buy in and they beat a Miami team full of highly rated recruits. Miami could be headed in the wrong coaching direction too, I don't know, but 8 games isn't the decision point for me.

Continuity and incrementally changing this team and its culture in is not continuity for the sake of continuity. It is to get rid of all the malcontents, and all the players who refuse to buy in or step up. It is to actually implement a new identity for the program. This team has almost zero veteran leadership. I can't get an accurate count today but does this team even have 12 seniors on scholarship? Does it even have 12 Juniors on scholarship? Are there only 3 total Senior and Junior offensive linemen on the team? The team is incredibly inexperienced and blowing it up early in the changeover just means the next staff starts at an even lower level of leadership, experience, and talent. This makes the next hire even less likely to succeed.

I'm fine with this team in the short term losing talent if the effort, preparation, and development improves. Mental mistakes and simple preparation are what is losing games today. What I'm not fine with is schizophrenically going from one failing coach to another with a perpetual exodus of talent and zero players recruited by the current staff and zero players bought in by the current staff. This team went from Richt to Manny and Enos and the offense may have gotten worse. A lot of fans want to purely put that on coaching as if the player talent level, leadership, and experience from 2018 to 2019 are equivalent. Whether we want to admit it or not the timeline to changing a program is a long process. At most today half the 74 scholarship players are Manny's guys. Almost none of them are Enos's guys.

If in year 2 the offense is again horrific after mid season - blow the offense up again. Blowing up the offense 8 games into year 1 is a great way to keep Miami in this perpetual cycle of suck.

Last edited:
A successful coach adapts to his current personnel first and foremost. He's been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole this season. Yes we have serious O-Line issues but Enos is also setting them and our QBs up for failure with this system. Enos really had 1 pretty good year as OC at Arkansas if I can recall the numbers correctly off the top of my head without looking it up, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't believe Manny can wait several years to get the offense humming.
Thanks for the response! Do you see us going to a true spread if he does make the move to Someone like Fedora or Applewhite?

Rousseau can win in multiple ways. He has the length and fluidity to beat his man inside or outside. Garvin is a straight-line edge rusher with no pass rush plan or skill with his hands. As an inside rusher he would be very predictable and it would be harder for him to beat blocks relatively untouched because space is confined and contact happens sooner inside. That would further expose his absent hand use.

If you're looking for a DE to kick inside instead of 15 I'd go with Hill.
My thought was if Garvin is just gonna bull rush, let him either take up 2 blockers inside, or hopefully push his defender backwards and collapse the pocket if he isn't doubled.

To me, it seems like when GR lines up inside, he isn't necessarily causing havoc. He makes plays, but seemingly moreso by using his length to make a shoestring tackle of a QB that is about to escape the pocket.

I don't hate the package, but GR on the edge is too much for most OTs in the nation to handle. Strip sack waiting to happen.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back