Malik Rosier on why TVD should start vs UNC

Advertisement
Why? NC going to stack the box, taking away the short passes and the run, forcing TVD to go more down field. He won't have time and he's not very mobile, nor is he very good throwing on the run. He's going to get killed back there.

Yet you assume Garcia will excel at all these things based on his limited success against a horrible team once the coaches had no choice but to finally be aggressive.

What’s the plan if he doesn’t? Change QBs again? Imo this is an offensive philosophy problem. Throwing TVD to the scrap heap already won’t change anything.

May be unpopular with some around here but why should any stock be put into Malik’s opinion? I’m appreciative of some of the good times he contributed to the program, specifically in 2017, but what gives? An athletic, gritty, sub 50% passer against anyone with a pulse who admitted he did not study film for a chunk of his career here thinks his client should start. Color me shocked. I had high hopes like many others for TVD. But mentally and mechanically he’s been a disaster thus far. I’m no fan of Gattis at this point. But the reality is we have an indecisive QB with no confidence who is missing the easiest of throws. Maybe there’s a correlation between his performance and the decision to work with someone in the off-season who also missed easy throws, often had poor body language when the going got tough, and was often a mechanical disaster.

On a more important note. I hope all on the gulf coast here stay safe and blessed.

Advertisement
TrumpyCane thinks maybe TVD was never that good

Plenty of QBs have good first seasons and then teams/coaches have film and those QBs then struggle

Wouldn’t be the first time

Why couldn't we go back to TVD if Garcia doesn't play well?

IMO - a couple reasons:

1) It makes the coaches look a bit incompetent. If the coaches are just rotating QB's every time something goes wrong VS actually fixing the offense - it has a "we're just throwing sh*t aginst the wall and hoping something sticks" feel. To play better as a whole, the team needs to have confidence the coaches know what they're doing.

2) How long of a leash does Garcia have? If he gets pulled quickly, now both QB's might play afraid because they know they can get yanked after 1 bad drive. Playing uptight isn't going to help.

What I would do:

Start TVD vs UNC

UNC has a horrible defense. I'd imagine whoever starts at QB is going to look pretty good, because UNC can't stop anyone. Use this game to get TVD's confidence back. If TVD can't look right vs UNC, then it I think it's safer to assume things are too far gone, and then you can go to Garcia.

Coaches said at the start of the season TVD was one of the best QB's in the country, so show some confidence you believe your own words. Coaches have 2 weeks to tweak what's wrong, so do what you're paid to do....coach + scheme. It's not like everything is wrong, so a couple tweaks can make a difference.

Advertisement
TVD doesn't need to be Dan Marino to not throw that first INT against MTSU. Was laughable to anyone watching that he stared him down and the DBs were right on top of him. He needs a break to (hopefully) calm down and let the game slow down some in his head , but Jake can play and gives us a better chance right now.

I dont think its a tough call because winning this game is all that matters. Start TVD, tweak the play calling for quick hits and screens and if the line shows they are capable open it up. Give Jake a serries in the 1st half no matter. Make a decision at half about the rest of the game.

Open QB competition.

I usually hate 2 QB offenses but put the pressure on and let them both air it out against UNC and the team will naturally rally around its leader. My guess is that will be Garcia by seasons ends.

Honestly this is the only answer. Neither guy is "the guy"—both are in there to make plays and if one start out playing the other, he gets more snaps. It's not what anybody wanted this season and the old adage about having two quarterbacks means you have none; that's a dated mindset. It's not about optics, it's about winning football games and manufacturing points. Whoever can best get the ball to this green receiving corps has to be the best answer. Don't play "musical quarterbacks"—give both guys reps and have a playbook for both—and then stay with the hotter hand, opposed to this guys starts this week, he struggles, start the other guy next week, go back to original starter following week if he struggles, etc.

TVD doesn't need to be Dan Marino to not throw that first INT against MTSU. Was laughable to anyone watching that he stared him down and the DBs were right on top of him. He needs a break to (hopefully) calm down and let the game slow down some in his head , but Jake can play and gives us a better chance right now.
Roman did an analysis on the play. He was very critical of both the playcall and the design. 2 WR on each side, all 4 running the same route. IIRC, it was a hitch. The WRs were so close together that the pick was made by the other WRs defender. (This was the 1st play of the game, which he was critical of. Instead of coming up with something scripted and creative, it was bleh.)

It doesn't sound like Gattis is doing TVD any favors or making it any easier.

Advertisement
I dont think its a tough call because winning this game is all that matters. Start TVD, tweak the play calling for quick hits and screens and if the line shows they are capable open it up. Give Jake a serries in the 1st half no matter. Make a decision at half about the rest of the game.
If winning is all that matters, you start Jake. Unless you mend the relationship between TVD and the team…because It’s clear as day that the WRs are breaking off routes and not trying as hard when he’s in.

If winning is all that matters, you start Jake. Unless you mend the relationship between TVD and the team…because It’s clear as day that the WRs are breaking off routes and not trying as hard when he’s in.

What in the world?

If your receivers are doing that you kick them off the team.

More doomsday theory BS that you guys make up and then act like its reality. This is what trolls do.

What in the world?

If your receivers are doing that you kick them off the team.

More doomsday theory BS that you guys make up and then act like its reality. This is what trolls do.
So you’re calling South Park and Cribby trolls? Ok lol.

If you couldn’t see the energy and effort elevate when he came in, I question if you watched the game.

Advertisement
So you’re calling South Park and Cribby trolls? Ok lol.

If you couldn’t see the energy and effort elevate when he came in, I question if you watched the game.

Have you ever watched a football game? Of course a change in QB who is struggling when your down to a bad team creates energy. Its literally why he made the change.

Also you made up what they said. They did not say the receivers refuse to play hard when TVD is in the game.

Also the idea that you think that a coach knows receivers are not playing hard because they dont like the QB and they don't discipline those receivers is lunacy.

So which receivers got kicked off the team or disciplined?

Question for Offensive Gurus (may be addressed elsewhere, didn't see it):
To me, it wasn't just Garcia's accuracy that shifted. It seemed like the play calling changed immediately with Garcia in. Seemed more aggressive. Is this true? Or did he check to different reads that TVD might have been scared of?

Winning is all that matters. Jake looked a lot more comfortable at QB despite being in a terrible situation. People worried about Garcia throwing picks, but TVD threw two in like the first minute of the game. Dude is trash, mailed it in already. Garcia’s got that fire in him. The team needs that.

narratives are fun to talk about on message board but look no further than the NFL to see the difference that scheme & play calling can make on QBs
Tua & Hurts were being talked about being busts as recently as this offseason & Lawrence has struggled mightily in the past seasons. something didnt just click. different styles work better for different qbs. hurts look pedestrian under pederson, new HC & all things are clicking now. so pederson is the problem then, right? of course he goes to jacksonville n lawrence looks like what we were used to seeing in clemson.

lashley is not here anymore so w/e tvd did with that offense means nothing now. if other players look better running that offense, then they deserve the opportunity. there's a reason why the stadium erupted when they put Garcia in. i personally can't see how you start TVD against UNC at home after what just happened. what do you think fans are gonna do if he goes 3 n out or throws another pick? starting him vs UNC after benching him against the mighty blue raiders will look like an incompetent mismanagement of the position like Flores did to Tua IMO.
Excellent points. However, you can't worry what it looks like to the fans or TVD. If anything he should have been taken out in the 1st half per CoachHayesFootball. As Coach Hayes said, the embarrassment of his play was far greater and detrimental than being removed from the game. TVD needed to be saved from himself.

I think TVD should start because despite what people think, Jake wasn't perfect. He made some mistakes as well. He was a big improvement and spark though.

The issue with starting Garcia is exactly what Rosier pointed out. If Jake doesn't perform as the starter, then you have nothing left because TVD will have zero confidence coming off the bench.

I start TVD. If he looks bad after 2-3 drives, I bring in Garcia. Jake will have less pressure coming off the bench because he'll be replacing a bad performance just like the MTSU game.

Advertisement
Back