Malik Curtis in spring

Advertisement
I won't write WR off for Curtis since we have a new staff. But we have a greater need for CB. If Curtis has gained weight and significant muscle he could be a serious contender at CB. Has the speed and flexibility. If he can close fast, tackle and cover then I wouldn't be surprised if he gets play.
The pics Canes social media posted with him around mid-season last year showed a pretty impressive transformation. He still has 7 more months before the regular season so I think he'll be ready from a physical standpoint.

Is redshirting a possibility? He finished 2021 behind several incumbents at CB.

Advertisement
When Lashlee was here I wanted him at Slot WR.

But now with Steele & Addae, I think his best upside will be to be developed at CB, we need an entire revamped CB group & a kid with his natural speed & ball skills can be used at Corner. As many bodies as can be to keep the bad CB’s off the field, I’m all for it.

Whether he plays offense or defense, he absolutely needs to be a PR/KR as well, been saying that since he was a Junior in HS.

Last edited:
When Lashlee was here I wanted him at Slot WR.

But now with Steele & Addae, I think his best upside will be the be developed at CB, we need an entire revamped CB group & a kid with his natural speed & ball skills can be used at Corner. As many bodies as can be to keep the bad CB’s off the field, I’m all for it.

Whether he plays offense or defense, he absolutely needs to be a PR/KR as well, been saying that since he was a Junior in HS.

Advertisement
We have some major options I'd like to see return (not including Chaney who I think would have been a great KO return candidate, don't want to risk now)

B.Smith
George
Restrepo
Curtis
Graves
J.Harris

And don't get me started on the possible kids coming in this coming class.

I give myself a headache trying to remember all of the kids that we have been waiting on to finally "pop". I get Clarke and Curtis mixed up all the time. Totally forgot about Curtis honestly. Its just like we have so many guys going into their 2nd or 3rd year that we have to get something out of this season. Thats like the core of the roster at this point.

If I had to pick one thing that will ultimately frustrate Mario coming out of Spring is how many guys on this team didnt take their craft serious their first year or two years here and have alot of catching up to do before Fall ball.

Advertisement
I would of put him at PR and KR last year I don't care if he's 20 pounds.

KR with him and Knighton, PR I thought George did good but he is more of a long strider IMO but his hands were mostly solid and it seemed like that ended up being the end game "if you dont drop it you can return punts). I would still have George back for any time the other team is punting from around the 50 when it is likely a fair catch, but for a PR I agree lets get Curtis out there.

KR with him and Knighton, PR I thought George did good but he is more of a long strider IMO but his hands were mostly solid and it seemed like that ended up being the end game "if you dont drop it you can return punts). I would still have George back for any time the other team is punting from around the 50 when it is likely a fair catch, but for a PR I agree lets get Curtis out there.
I would say Smith but he's to valuable to put back there and he gets hurt. Think he's our most explosive wideout besides Ladson I think maybe

Advertisement
Steele may be looking for more physicality at CB... Curtis has great ball skills with good enough speed to cover well..... but his overall size and strength might hold him back.....never thought it was a good idea to change his position....Curtis is a savvy slot type that could be very good in traffic...has natural instincts to make something out of nothing....

if I'm not mistaken....at Auburn Steele played CBs with a combination of size/strength like Jamel Dean 6'2 205, Noah Igbinoghene 5'11 197, Roger McCreary 6'0 190, Charlton Davis 6'1 190 Curtis is like 5'11 168 soaking wet..... his best chance to see time may be as a returner and/or slot receiver.....if he can't make it there (aside sts )the portal is likely his next play imo...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back