Malcolm Lewis

I don't think he'll ever be the same unfortunately

This thought has crossed my mind a few times. But this is a very serious injury so it takes time. I don't think Golden would lie and say he's starting to look like his old self if he wasn't.

Let's wait and see.

Advertisement
where the **** is he going?..To his parents restaurant in hollywood??..

dude isnt an early entry kid....

I think he should go pro. He's not a fit with Williams at QB. Somebody will draft him in the first four rounds with the success of Hilton and Benjamin.

I'm with this guy. If Dorsett's goal is to play in the L (as opposed to some academic pursuit I don't know about), his risk/reward is tilted toward leaving when he's this close to his peak value. He's not going to get a lot bigger. He's unlikely to get a ton faster. He won't suddenly become a wiggle guy. = Cash in.

You could use that rationale for almost any player--not gonna get bigger or a ton faster. What he can do is polish his game A LOT and become a much more complete WR. If he leaves early, he might wind up "cashing in" just like all those guys did a couple years ago when they went undrafted or were drafted very late.

No, you can't use that with every player who has a very realistic chance of losing value on his own team in his senior year. This situation is very different than all those guys who made that decision a couple years ago. I thought most of those guys, outside of Lamar, should have come back, FWIW.

I realize we want as much talent here as possible, but if this is really a family - something you talk about consistently in your posts - we also want what's best for our players vis-a-vis their goals. It builds long-term trust. I have no idea what Phillip will ultimately decide, but my opinion is that it might actually be in his best interest to go on and potentially get drafted at his current (after this year) value to the NFL. If he makes that decision, which may very well be supported by Coach Golden, I hope the fans would see the rationale and support him.

First, as you always tell people, read the post a little closer. I didn't say you could use that rationale with "every" player; I said you could use it with almost any player.

Second, if you think Dorsett is the best possible receiver that he can be and can't improve in areas aside from genetics (speed and size), then that's probably why we see this situation differently. I think Dorsett has tremendous room to improve as a receiver just like Streeter did. Everyone said that Streeter couldn't get any faster or taller, so it was a good idea for him to declare. I thought he had plenty of room to improve as a WR, and his draft position proved that.

I'm pretty sure The Don and any other smart HC advises guys that it's a bad idea to leave early if they're not pretty sure to be drafted in the first 2 rounds. This has been the standard for a long time. I don't think Dorsett will be a 1st or 2nd rounder, so it makes no sense to leave early. Once you wind up in the 4th to 6th round area, your chances of even making a roster plummet dramatically. Makes no financial sense to put yourself in that situation when you don't have to. He's got another year, and he should use it to try to improve his skills and his draft stock.

I think he should go pro. He's not a fit with Williams at QB. Somebody will draft him in the first four rounds with the success of Hilton and Benjamin.

I'm with this guy. If Dorsett's goal is to play in the L (as opposed to some academic pursuit I don't know about), his risk/reward is tilted toward leaving when he's this close to his peak value. He's not going to get a lot bigger. He's unlikely to get a ton faster. He won't suddenly become a wiggle guy. = Cash in.

You could use that rationale for almost any player--not gonna get bigger or a ton faster. What he can do is polish his game A LOT and become a much more complete WR. If he leaves early, he might wind up "cashing in" just like all those guys did a couple years ago when they went undrafted or were drafted very late.

No, you can't use that with every player who has a very realistic chance of losing value on his own team in his senior year. This situation is very different than all those guys who made that decision a couple years ago. I thought most of those guys, outside of Lamar, should have come back, FWIW.

I realize we want as much talent here as possible, but if this is really a family - something you talk about consistently in your posts - we also want what's best for our players vis-a-vis their goals. It builds long-term trust. I have no idea what Phillip will ultimately decide, but my opinion is that it might actually be in his best interest to go on and potentially get drafted at his current (after this year) value to the NFL. If he makes that decision, which may very well be supported by Coach Golden, I hope the fans would see the rationale and support him.

I don't agree with Lu on PD, but I do see the logic. With a cast of Scott, Waters, Coley, Lewis, plus whoever is coming in, there is a very distinct possibility PD would be out of a starting job and major PT in 14. Yes, he's got special "deep" speed, but he's also a one-trick pony and the other guys on his heels have more in their overall ****nal than he does. He will definitely have some thinking to do after the season.

If he doesn't have the confidence that he can take minutes from Scott and Lewis and the rest of the group, then he probably shouldn't have confidence that he'd beat out NFL WRs in order to make a roster.

Advertisement

First, as you always tell people, read the post a little closer. I didn't say you could use that rationale with "every" player; I said you could use it with almost any player.

Second, if you think Dorsett is the best possible receiver that he can be and can't improve in areas aside from genetics (speed and size), then that's probably why we see this situation differently. I think Dorsett has tremendous room to improve as a receiver just like Streeter did. Everyone said that Streeter couldn't get any faster or taller, so it was a good idea for him to declare. I thought he had plenty of room to improve as a WR, and his draft position proved that.

I'm pretty sure The Don and any other smart HC advises guys that it's a bad idea to leave early if they're not pretty sure to be drafted in the first 2 rounds. This has been the standard for a long time. I don't think Dorsett will be a 1st or 2nd rounder, so it makes no sense to leave early. Once you wind up in the 4th to 6th round area, your chances of even making a roster plummet dramatically. Makes no financial sense to put yourself in that situation when you don't have to. He's got another year, and he should use it to try to improve his skills and his draft stock.

1. I mistakenly used "every," but my point still stands: this is not your typical situation where a player may lose value by staying another year.

2. No, I don't think he's the best possible receiver he can be. If you're asking me to read a little closer, I ask you the same. I didn't say or imply that anywhere in my post. I gave a few examples of things that will contribute to his value as perceived by scouts/NFL GMs. I wasn't trying to make an exhaustive list and I certainly wasn't saying he can't be a better WR. What I was definitely stating is that the things I think he can improve won't increase his value relative to the risk he may take by staying another year. It's not a common thing, but guys come back all throughout the NCAA for their senior year and lose value. Some of those guys lose a lot of perceived value for varying reasons - they get picked apart by scouts, etc., their team environment changed from one year to the next, etc., and they don't improve enough to make it worth the extra year. There are examples of this every year, which I'm sure you're aware of. Comparing Dorsett to Streeter is just off, I think. I have plenty of posts on this board and the recruiting board explaining why I thought Streeter should come back for his own benefit.

3. The "Don" argument is something I haven't heard from anyone close to the program or publicly from Coach Golden himself. It's a weird argument. He only advises guys to leave if they're slated for the first two rounds? What if they're top value isn't as 1st or 2nd round picks? What if their top value is as a 3rd or 4th rounder? Wouldn't the best advice be to tell players to get their top worth relative to their risk?

I'll put it this way: if Dorsett submits his papers to get back a draft grade and it comes back as a 3rd or 4th rounder, knowing that he can possibly lose some of that shine next year, would you advise him to return?

The thing I find humorous is the implications in this thread that Ryan Williams won't be able to throw anything outside an 8 yard hitch route next year. We will be able to throw deep just fine next year and there is a good chance that we'll be more efficient with that aspect of the offense. Williams has already proven he can throw deep in limited action this year, not sure why he's going to regress next year. I find the arguments that Phillips skills don't "match" Williams are quite laughable really. He throws a very catchable deep ball.

Advertisement
The thing I find humorous is the implications in this thread that Ryan Williams won't be able to throw anything outside an 8 yard hitch route next year. We will be able to throw deep just fine next year and there is a good chance that we'll be more efficient with that aspect of the offense. Williams has already proven he can throw deep in limited action this year, not sure why he's going to regress next year. I find the arguments that Phillips skills don't "match" Williams are quite laughable really. He throws a very catchable deep ball.

Not sure if that's directed at me, but that's not the reason I'm giving for why I think Dorsett risks losing value on next year's team.

Difference between Streeter and Dorsett is that, Dorsett has bee productive for two years now. Streeter only the one

And I like our wr group as much as anybody but no way is he getting replaced as a starter.

Not only has tremendous ability to get behind the defense, and draw the coverage but he's also an excellent blocker in the run game, especially for his size.

Not sure if that's directed at me, but that's not the reason I'm giving for why I think Dorsett risks losing value on next year's team.

No it wasn't directed at you.....there are a quite a few others that made the implication (our fearless leader D$ being one of them). I understand your argument and it makes sense. Franchise makes more sense to me but I get your point.

1. I mistakenly used "every," but my point still stands: this is not your typical situation where a player may lose value by staying another year.

2. No, I don't think he's the best possible receiver he can be. If you're asking me to read a little closer, I ask you the same. I didn't say or imply that anywhere in my post. I gave a few examples of things that will contribute to his value as perceived by scouts/NFL GMs. I wasn't trying to make an exhaustive list and I certainly wasn't saying he can't be a better WR. What I was definitely stating is that the things I think he can improve won't increase his value relative to the risk he may take by staying another year. It's not a common thing, but guys come back all throughout the NCAA for their senior year and lose value. Some of those guys lose a lot of perceived value for varying reasons - they get picked apart by scouts, etc., their team environment changed from one year to the next, etc., and they don't improve enough to make it worth the extra year. There are examples of this every year, which I'm sure you're aware of. Comparing Dorsett to Streeter is just off, I think. I have plenty of posts on this board and the recruiting board explaining why I thought Streeter should come back for his own benefit.

3. The "Don" argument is something I haven't heard from anyone close to the program or publicly from Coach Golden himself. It's a weird argument. He only advises guys to leave if they're slated for the first two rounds? What if they're top value isn't as 1st or 2nd round picks? What if their top value is as a 3rd or 4th rounder? Wouldn't the best advice be to tell players to get their top worth relative to their risk?

I'll put it this way: if Dorsett submits his papers to get back a draft grade and it comes back as a 3rd or 4th rounder, knowing that he can possibly lose some of that shine next year, would you advise him to return?

It's not a "The Don" argument. It's an established axiom. Coaches don't advise players to leave early to get picked in the 4th through 6th rounds. It makes no sense at all. If you're a 4th to 6th rounder, then you can't really hurt your value by coming back and could dramatically improve it. Those later round picks get no benefit of the doubt and get cut just as easily as free agents. They get no appreciable bonuses or anything.

As for the remainder of your 3rd point, I doubt that coaches feel comfortable seeing so far into the future as to advise a guy that his ultimate top value is a 3rd or 4th rounder. I'd say it's more likely for a player to get advice on where he currently stands, and if the advice comes back stating that he's likely a 4th to 6th rounder that he'd be foolish to leave early, especially, when like Dorsett, he has a ton of room to grow as a player.

I don't see where he stands an appreciable enough risk to lose his "shine" as a 3rd or 4th rounder. There's no shine there to lose. And I don't know why you think he'd stand any more of a chance to lose it than anyone else. I could understand your argument if you thought that Dorsett was at the top of his game as a technician and didn't have much, if any, room for growth as a player. But you're not saying that, so I have no idea what your point is. Are you surmising that he should leave early because other players might pass him on the depth chart? If that's the case, then good luck in the NFL trying not to get passed by other NFL WRs. Or are you claiming that Williams won't be able to get him the ball? I don't see that either, as Williams has shown a very good ability to throw deep passes.

Advertisement
Advertisement

It's not a "The Don" argument. It's an established axiom. Coaches don't advise players to leave early to get picked in the 4th through 6th rounds. It makes no sense at all. If you're a 4th to 6th rounder, then you can't really hurt your value by coming back and could dramatically improve it. Those later round picks get no benefit of the doubt and get cut just as easily as free agents. They get no appreciable bonuses or anything.

As for the remainder of your 3rd point, I doubt that coaches feel comfortable seeing so far into the future as to advise a guy that his ultimate top value is a 3rd or 4th rounder. I'd say it's more likely for a player to get advice on where he currently stands, and if the advice comes back stating that he's likely a 4th to 6th rounder that he'd be foolish to leave early, especially, when like Dorsett, he has a ton of room to grow as a player.

I don't see where he stands an appreciable enough risk to lose his "shine" as a 3rd or 4th rounder. There's no shine there to lose. And I don't know why you think he'd stand any more of a chance to lose it than anyone else. I could understand your argument if you thought that Dorsett was at the top of his game as a technician and didn't have much, if any, room for growth as a player. But you're not saying that, so I have no idea what your point is. Are you surmising that he should leave early because other players might pass him on the depth chart? If that's the case, then good luck in the NFL trying not to get passed by other NFL WRs. Or are you claiming that Williams won't be able to get him the ball? I don't see that either, as Williams has shown a very good ability to throw deep passes.

So, just to be clear, you would advise Dorsett to stay if his draft grade comes back as a 3rd rounder?

What are the criteria you think the NFL uses to judge the value of a WR in order to select him in the draft?

So, just to be clear, you would advise Dorsett to stay if his draft grade comes back as a 3rd rounder?

What are the criteria you think the NFL uses to judge the value of a WR in order to select him in the draft?

Don't want to speak for Chise but yeah that's what he's saying. Dorsett has things he can improve on next year in the college game that will help him STICK AROUND in the NFL. It shouldn't be all about draft grades 100% especially when talking about 3-6 rounds. Pretty sure Streeter was told a much higher grade than he was selected. Now he's out of the league. Who cares where you get drafted (if you're talking rounds 3-6)? It should be about longevity and the ability to stick around the league. Another year would help him accomplish that IMO.

Absolutely. I'd never advise anyone to leave early to be a 3rd round pick unless he's a guy on the verge of falling apart physically and wants to squeeze out a couple paychecks. 3rd round is short money. And if he's 3rd round now, then he can be 1st or 2nd next year because he has a LOT of things he can improve on.

Now, please answer my questions.

Advertisement
Back