Making the pieces fit on DL

Advertisement
An influx of transfers has remade our defensive front. Now, we have an abundance of guys with similar body types- long, lean for a DT, built more like a 3-4 DE. They average out to 6'4, 272 and all fit into that general profile:

Jared Harrison-Hunte- 6'4, 285
Jake Lichtenstein- 6'5, 270
Antonio Moultrie- 6'4, 260
Akheem Mesidor- 6'2, 272
Elijah Roberts- 6'4, 275

Leonard Taylor is a little stouter (6'3, 305) but still far from a nose tackle. So how do we make all of these pieces fit in a four-man front? On one hand, length and athleticism is always good and Steele did wonders with a similar body type in Marlon Davidson. But it is still a unique situation when you are lacking a true nose and are thin at EDGE.

Curious to hear any thoughts from others on how we should deploy this group.

@Coach Macho @WestEndzone @San Amaro Dr @Liberty City El @gogeta4 @LuCane @gcane44 @Lance Roffers
I know the pieces fit.

More than half the starting defence is going to be made up of transfers at this rate.

Crazy when you think about it.
Shows how bad manny left us. The good thing is those portals we are bringing in are here more than 1 season so we still get to develop. Now we need to develop the recruits Mario is bringing in for the future.

The aforementioned players are so versatile, you can’t tell me Steele isn’t licking his chops. So many quality pieces they can deploy and wreak havoc on ACC offenses. It’s hard to say who’s going to play where with absolute certainty, but one thing for sure, coach Steele will have his defense ready to go.
The young man that just committed plays like Marlon Davidson that played at Auburn. I’m a believer in coach Steele and having his side of the ball ready to go on game day.

Hopefully,,Mario will allow alums and boosters in the locker room before games to shake players hands wishing them a good game 😈.

Advertisement
put anez cooper at DT and him and allen haye, leonard tayler and moten we got some big guys at DT. I like
Roberts a lot

We're going to run it Just like Pete Carrols 4-3 under... which, from my recollection, had been been stout WITHOUT that super heavyweight nose guard type.

Each man responsible for a gap. 1,3, and 5 techniques. No 2 gapping. We don't have the hosses.

All we need is somebody who can hold the point of attack on a double team in that 1 tech and we can be serviceable with this unit.

That's going to be the goal for fall camp.

Advertisement
Are all of the DL portal guys one year dudes? Looks like we’ll need another 3-4 next year, too.

All i know is a rotation of Miller/Haye and probably litch at 1T is probably the worst in the acc lol I haven’t checked other teams but thats just how i feel about miller and haye being at Miami lol

You find a Wilfork beast you set up his OV you take him to a coaches meeting with his parents.

Out loud Mario says

This BEAST starts day one PERIOD at the NOSE no ifs and or but !!!!!

Any other questions young man ???

GOCANES

Advertisement
This is my 2 deep...I think we can hold up well against the run given the size at End despite not having multiple pluggers.

DE - Mesidor
DT - Taylor
DT - Harrison-Hunte
DE - Agude

DE - Harvey
DT - Lichtenstein/Miller
DT- Roberts
DE - Multrie/C. Williams

That ain’t bad at all. Let’s get a portal LB or two and this team is cooking

Are all of the DL portal guys one year dudes? Looks like we’ll need another 3-4 next year, too.
Mesidor and Agude still have three years of eligibility technically. Lichtenstein is a grad transfer so he’s done after this year. I’m not sure on Mountie

We're going to run it Just like Pete Carrols 4-3 under... which, from my recollection, had been been stout WITHOUT that super heavyweight nose guard type.

Each man responsible for a gap. 1,3, and 5 techniques. No 2 gapping. We don't have the hosses.

All we need is somebody who can hold the point of attack on a double team in that 1 tech and we can be serviceable with this unit.

That's going to be the goal for fall camp.
We will see under fronts (saw some in the spring game) I don't see it being the base defense as today's offenses require your Sam/nickel to play in space much more than footing a TE.

We will also see standard over fronts set to the field/boundary vs strength which ends up being an under front with your Sam/nickel off the ball over #2.

Advertisement
I remember when we last had a DT problem under Golden. Starting guys like Earl Moore and Corey King and being ecstatic about pre-portal transfer like Michael Wyche. I think Ufomba Kamalu actually played in the league a few years. He was our best pickup of the bunch. We fattened up Chickillo to force him inside at one point. Those were dark days.

I’m not saying we’re that desperate right now. But I cannot believe we’re dealing with this situation again. Everyone knows you over sign DTs every class because half of them flame or peter out. Just look at our first Simpson class of Holley, JHH, Blissett. 2 gone and 1 in limbo. can we please learn our lesson now? Over sign these kids.

You find a Wilfork beast you set up his OV you take him to a coaches meeting with his parents.

Out loud Mario says

This BEAST starts day one PERIOD at the NOSE no ifs and or but !!!!!

Any other questions young man ???

GOCANES
I don't disagree with any of this but do you think hall of fame 350 lb guys are just waiting around to be recruited?

Mesidor and Agude still have three years of eligibility technically. Lichtenstein is a grad transfer so he’s done after this year. I’m not sure on Mountie

I think we should be honest with ourselves. Mesidor and Agude are going to the league with one good year at Miami. Moultrie is in his 5th year so I'll be surprised if he stays beyond this year. I expect all of them to be gone next year which means we'll need another crop of 3-4 DL transfers.

Advertisement
Back