Making the pieces fit on DL

Any opposing OC with half a brain will run 65%+ of the time on us and have success. We don’t have many big bodies and our LB’s aren’t very good… not hard to figure out how to attack this defense, on paper
How many teams on our schedule have OLs good enough and RBs good enough to just run all over us the way you are depicting in your post?

Maybe three?

Advertisement
I remember in my last HS game coach asked me to play center since the MLB all state at Coral Gables.
Coach noticed CG MLB always ran free to feed with no one in his grill .

Well it was a shear total SHOCKER for that PUNCK when he got a load of me 6’1” 245 4.7 40 at center.

BOY’S the only noise he made was yelling F U at me all game long , I actually was laughing after plays .

He’d leave the game an I stayed since I went both ways LOLOL and still WHOOP ARZZ.

With the BIG THREE state of Florida college recruiters watching OOOOH THE MEMORIES

TRUE STORY 1975

See I had no one on my nose to slow me down so me being faster and stronger I FED HE COULDN’T

An influx of transfers has remade our defensive front. Now, we have an abundance of guys with similar body types- long, lean for a DT, built more like a 3-4 DE. They average out to 6'4, 272 and all fit into that general profile:

Jared Harrison-Hunte- 6'4, 285
Jake Lichtenstein- 6'5, 270
Antonio Moultrie- 6'4, 260
Akheem Mesidor- 6'2, 272
Elijah Roberts- 6'4, 275

Leonard Taylor is a little stouter (6'3, 305) but still far from a nose tackle. So how do we make all of these pieces fit in a four-man front? On one hand, length and athleticism is always good and Steele did wonders with a similar body type in Marlon Davidson. But it is still a unique situation when you are lacking a true nose and are thin at EDGE.

Curious to hear any thoughts from others on how we should deploy this group.

@Coach Macho @WestEndzone @San Amaro Dr @Liberty City El @gogeta4 @LuCane @gcane44 @Lance Roffers
You could play with two 2tech and have the aforementioned players play SDE or a 5 tech with a quick edge player/weakside end player be the pass rusher.
The reason I mention this is someone like Thomas Davis mind fit into that mold, not sure who else would though.
You would also need thumpers at will and Mike to be able to handle OL, more run stout types.
Essentially the 2techniques I mentioned would be able to sink a double team or at least partially occupy in a run setting, so you can pretty much write those guys off to make plays.
We seem to have a lot of those types, more specially Mesidor, Lichtenstein and Moultrie. You can also play a bunch of inside games on passing down.

Not sure Steeles defensive style and how he like to use his players, but he's a grey beards he'll figure out what defense he has with te players he has I think, but it's assumed that 4 man front is base.
This is the direction I'd likely go. Basically foregoing much pass rush at all, unless blitzing, but you're going to gain a better run defense.

I remember in my last HS game coach asked me to play center since the MLB all state at Coral Gables.
Coach noticed CG MLB always ran free to feed with no one in his grill .

Well it was a shear total SHOCKER for that PUNCK when he got a load of me 6’1” 245 4.7 40 at center.

BOY’S the only noise he made was yelling F U at me all game long , I actually was laughing after plays .

He’d leave the game an I stayed since I went both ways LOLOL and still WHOOP ARZZ.

With the BIG THREE state of Florida college recruiters watching OOOOH THE MEMORIES

TRUE STORY 1975

See I had no one on my nose to slow me down so me being faster and stronger I FED HE COULDN’T
Was Uncle Rico behind you calling the plays and getting the snaps?

Advertisement
Hope we add the 300 pound DT from Maryland who’s visiting this week. And cuz I’m greedy, a MLB (UCLA or Syracuse transfer?) as a run stopper.

With Mesidor and Agude, I’m feeling much better about our pass rush. But, can we stop the run? Need a big body in the middle and a thumper at MLB.
I don’t even know if he is 300. Seen multiple places list him at 274

An influx of transfers has remade our defensive front. Now, we have an abundance of guys with similar body types- long, lean for a DT, built more like a 3-4 DE. They average out to 6'4, 272 and all fit into that general profile:

Akheem Mesidor- 6'2, 272
Elijah Roberts- 6'4, 275

Leonard Taylor is a little stouter (6'3, 305) but still far from a nose tackle. So how do we make all of these pieces fit in a four-man front? On one hand, length and athleticism is always good and Steele did wonders with a similar body type in Marlon Davidson. But it is still a unique situation when you are lacking a true nose and are thin at EDGE.

@Coach Macho @WestEndzone @San Amaro Dr @Liberty City El @gogeta4 @LuCane @gcane44 @Lance Roffers
We likely run more odd fronts with a stand up edge rusher. We don’t have the NT to we run single gap more like Wade Phillips.

One problem is single gap odd front means 2 LBs in the middle who can wreck shop.

The good news is, we’re likely not going to play a bunch of teams who try to power you through the A gap over and over (pause).
But we will play a bunch of teams who try to wreck the B-gaps and put our LB(s) in conflict. So, we'll have to come up with something. Other teams have gone with the 303 or 404 (Tite) front, but that brings us back to the NT role.

I hesitate to write more on this subject until more of the transfer portal shakes out. I'll reiterate I have faith in the defensive staff. That's nice to say now.

Advertisement
I would need to see what our guys are good at to give a complete answer, but first thought would be to mix it up with multiple even fronts and line movements. For the fronts, anything would be fair game: over, under, over (g), double eagle, double g, over with a 9 tech, etc.

You have the option to run 1, 2, 3 or 4 man movements. In an even front, I have the most experience with 2 and 4 man movements where you're moving both DT's or you're moving the whole line towards or away from the front strength. They're safe enough to run on base downs and are generally good against the run. The goal is to create a mess by messing with blocking assignments. Usually you only ever want to move from one technique to the next--never two techniques over unless you're backing it up with overload pressure from the backer and/or secondary. For example, a pinching 3 tech would cross face of his guard, but a pinching 2i would remain in the A gap, but would then be playing the hip of the center instead of the guard.

A versatile 3 man stunt that can be run in a number of situations is the old pirate stunt the Bucs used with Warren Sapp. Out of an Over (g) look, your SDE 5 tech and 3 tech pinch one technique over (cross face), while the 2i pinches down to a 1 tech and plays the run if he finds pressure--if he reads pass, he loops around the pinching SDE and DT to replace the vacated strong side C gap--the cross face 3 tech would in theory cover up the vacated weak side A with his angle. You need guys that can move for this to work well.

Obviously you can also pinch or twist guys--but those are more specialized down movements like short yardage or passing situations. We would usually have specialized personnel to match those situations.
I have no idea what that all means, but I was still VERY impressed!!!!!

Was Uncle Rico behind you calling the plays and getting the snaps?
Sam Scarnecchia was our QB at Southwest High in Miami off 48th street, if I recall his father was an assistant AD at Miami.

GOCANES

But we will play a bunch of teams who try to wreck the B-gaps and put our LB(s) in conflict. So, we'll have to come up with something. Other teams have gone with the 303 or 404 (Tite) front, but that brings us back to the NT role.

I hesitate to write more on this subject until more of the transfer portal shakes out. I'll reiterate I have faith in the defensive staff. That's nice to say now.
this last part is important. i expect for the staff to have the capacity to squeeze the marrow out of each and every cell of talent and ability that the D has and to improve their fundamentals and put them in a position to be successful beyond the limits of their natural ability.

Advertisement

Akheem Mesidor- 6'2, 272
Elijah Roberts- 6'4, 275

Combination of Taylor, Miller, JHH Lich, Haye and spot [Moten] if he proves capable in fall practices at DT. You can use multiple combinations at DE and DT.

Short Yard DT: Miller/ Taylor or Haye/Mesidore DE: JHH/Lich/Moultrie/Mesidor/Roberts

Regular DT: Miller/Haye/Taylor/JHH/Lich DE: Taylor/Lich/Moultrie/Mesidore/Roberts/Chantz/Harvey

Pass Situation Inside: Lich/Taylor/JHH/Moultrie/Mesidore DE: Lich/Moultrie/Roberts/Mesidore/Harvey/Moss

My point is we have multiple combinations we can will have to use given the situation and to keep our undersized DT's a break and fresh. We will have to use our speed to our advantage and wear down the opposing OL. ****! Missed Agude

Last edited:
I’ve mentioned a few times that the DT we lost to Auburn really impacted my optimism for the DL
☝🏽 this right here. I was bemoaning the whiff on Jayson Jones in the Lack of DT Recruiting Attention thread and hoping against hope he'd abandon ship at AU before that ship sinks. He's exactly what we needed at DT, going to be very hard to find someone else in the portal like him. OTOH, you just never know who might pop up in the portal in the next two weeks.

Really thought Mario would close on Jones given their relationship. Guess the ties to home were too strong.

Advertisement
DE - Mesidor / Litchtenstein / Chantz / Kelly

DT - Taylor / Moultrie / JHH / Roberts

DT - Portal DT? / Miller / Haye

DE - Agude / Harvey / Moss / Ishmael

A lot of dlineman playing the same position… I don’t see why this staff took Moultrie so soon. Seems like JHH is getting pushed out.

This. I'd also add we're small everywhere in the front 7.
We know this Already, but the question was how do we make the pieces "we have and have to use" work? Everybody on here, the streets, grandma's, soccer fans and geeks know we are light at DT. We are on light at DT. We just needed more depth at DE.

DE - Mesidor / Litchtenstein / Chantz / Kelly

DT - Taylor / Moultrie / JHH / Roberts

DT - Portal DT? / Miller / Haye

DE - Agude / Harvey / Moss / Ishmael

A lot of dlineman playing the same position… I don’t see why this staff took Moultrie so soon. Seems like JHH is getting pushed out.
Litch a DT. If he really is 285 he gone be pushing 300 by the season

Hope we add the 300 pound DT from Maryland who’s visiting this week. And cuz I’m greedy, a MLB (UCLA or Syracuse transfer?) as a run stopper.

With Mesidor and Agude, I’m feeling much better about our pass rush. But, can we stop the run? Need a big body in the middle and a thumper at MLB.
More than half the starting defence is going to be made up of transfers at this rate.

Crazy when you think about it.

Advertisement
Back