Making the pieces fit on DL

Advertisement
If there were an elephant in the room, we wouldn't be discussing this.
tenor (1).gif

Hope we add the 300 pound DT from Maryland who’s visiting this week. And cuz I’m greedy, a MLB (UCLA or Syracuse transfer?) as a run stopper.

With Mesidor and Agude, I’m feeling much better about our pass rush. But, can we stop the run? Need a big body in the middle and a thumper at MLB.

Advertisement
Any opposing OC with half a brain will run 65%+ of the time on us and have success. We don’t have many big bodies and our LB’s aren’t very good… not hard to figure out how to attack this defense, on paper

Advertisement
Hope we add the 300 pound DT from Maryland who’s visiting this week. And cuz I’m greedy, a MLB (UCLA or Syracuse transfer?) as a run stopper.

With Mesidor and Agude, I’m feeling much better about our pass rush. But, can we stop the run? Need a big body in the middle and a thumper at MLB.
If we add the kid Darrell Jackson..this discussion goes into a completely different direction. That would be 5 portal DL we brought in since Mario got here. At that point we start having conversations around who needs to hit the road and move on and not about what the depth chart will be.

I’d like to see us stack our LB’s a bit more and play with double 3T at times. Obviously the scheme of opponent would matter because you can get gashed in the A gap if you don’t fill behind it, but if you have personnel who excel at 3T, but not so much at 1T, I might just lean into it instead of making my defense worse just to keep roles static.

Jordan Miller isn’t one of our six best DT’s really, so unless the defense just can’t function without a 1T, why play him?

If you listen to Flagg speak and some other things said, the LB’s are 2-gapping more, which is what you’d need to do if your DL isn’t and you don’t have a 1T clogging it up inside.

The DL can still penetrate and cause havoc, while your LB’s read and react more, while filling a bit less.

It’s an unusual roster composition. In college, you would normally have a 1/0 or even 2i at least 50 plays a game, so not playing it much at all would be a learning curve.

Lichtenstein and Moultrie and Mesidor all can play a 2i pretty easily though. Thinking through it, that would be a way of pinching things, while still utilizing strengths of your personnel.

Just please don’t line up Mesidor as a 0 all game like WVU did.
Not having a clogger to take up double teams our MLB will have issues filling do to fighting of probably a 300 center all game long plus a guard all game long NOT GOOD

Advertisement
Advertisement

****, adding Darrell Jackson would add so much depth on this line & turn our front 4 upside down.

He’s a DT with DE skills, kid’s upside is really nice.

I’m skeptical we’ll be able to beat out the hometown Northern FL teams in UF/FSU, but if we can somehow convince him to come here that would be a big pickup in conjunction with the pickups we’ve already added.

Last edited:
An influx of transfers has remade our defensive front. Now, we have an abundance of guys with similar body types- long, lean for a DT, built more like a 3-4 DE. They average out to 6'4, 272 and all fit into that general profile:

Jared Harrison-Hunte- 6'4, 285
Jake Lichtenstein- 6'5, 270
Antonio Moultrie- 6'4, 260
Akheem Mesidor- 6'2, 272
Elijah Roberts- 6'4, 275

Leonard Taylor is a little stouter (6'3, 305) but still far from a nose tackle. So how do we make all of these pieces fit in a four-man front? On one hand, length and athleticism is always good and Steele did wonders with a similar body type in Marlon Davidson. But it is still a unique situation when you are lacking a true nose and are thin at EDGE.

Curious to hear any thoughts from others on how we should deploy this group.

@Coach Macho @WestEndzone @San Amaro Dr @Liberty City El @gogeta4 @LuCane @gcane44 @Lance Roffers
Lichenstein said he was 285

****. Hoping its not JHH. Goes to show CIS is way to quick to crown kids. After JHHs sophomore year, you had cats on here already sending him to the NFL draft in the 1st or 2nd round. Had a really rough Jr campaign though.

I’d like to see us stack our LB’s a bit more and play with double 3T at times. Obviously the scheme of opponent would matter because you can get gashed in the A gap if you don’t fill behind it, but if you have personnel who excel at 3T, but not so much at 1T, I might just lean into it instead of making my defense worse just to keep roles static.

Jordan Miller isn’t one of our six best DT’s really, so unless the defense just can’t function without a 1T, why play him?

If you listen to Flagg speak and some other things said, the LB’s are 2-gapping more, which is what you’d need to do if your DL isn’t and you don’t have a 1T clogging it up inside.

The DL can still penetrate and cause havoc, while your LB’s read and react more, while filling a bit less.

It’s an unusual roster composition. In college, you would normally have a 1/0 or even 2i at least 50 plays a game, so not playing it much at all would be a learning curve.

Lichtenstein and Moultrie and Mesidor all can play a 2i pretty easily though. Thinking through it, that would be a way of pinching things, while still utilizing strengths of your personnel.

Just please don’t line up Mesidor as a 0 all game like WVU did.
Beat me to it.

Advertisement
Back