Major Applewhite

True, but you wonder how those offensive rankings change with a better defense that can give you the ball back and give you better field position? Like I have mentioned elsewhere he was considered somewhat of a wunderkind by Saban and Brown who put him in high level positions at a relatively young age. Herman literally plucked him out of a basement having conversations with him over beers to be his OC at Houston. Next thing you know he is an HC and despite the brain fart hiring D'NO, he did bring a young offensive innovator to be his OC in Briles that we would have salivated over as our OC.

Probably brings an extensive play book with spread concepts and tempo. We could do worse.

Definitely could do worse. Agreed.

Advertisement
Tom Herman coaching tree. Young and hungry. Knows Manny. Did hire Briles and working under Herman you know his playbook is going to be light years ahead of Richt's. I'd be good with him and a co-OC like a Seider or Coley. Former HC and worked under some really good coaches. Not my first pick but definitely in top 3.

You clearly need to aim higher. Top 3? Really?

Don't know why people are down on Kiffin. He had Blake Sims (a RB at Bama) throwing for over 3400 yds and that offense was a machine!!

Last 4 years at Houston....not so crappy.

2015 20th called plays
2016 41st called plays
2017 40th
2018 7th

Coached under Saban, Mack Brown, Tom Herman, and also had Kendall Briles playbook.

Not a horrible choice but not my #1 by any means.

In the AAC where they play less defense than in the Big12. Sorry, but these numbers aren't very good to begin with, and they need to be discounted further due to the fact that they were done in the AAC.

Thus the part about having Briles playbook. The guy has worked with 2 of the best offensive coaches in CFB, has called plays, and has had a top 20 offense when he did call the plays. None of that is chop liver my friend. That's about as good as you can hope for in an OC hire. If we get better than Applewhite we rollin.

It's chop liver. Honestly, Briles is overrated too. He's all hype. His Dad was the real offensive mastermind, and Kendall is riding his coat tails.

Advertisement
I rather have coley then apple
They are both abysmal candidates which would just confirm Manny is way in over his head. Don’t fall for the impressive interviews and press conferences, that already happened once. I’m hoping Manny surprises and turns out to be a good hire but on paper he was a terrible hire and our OC being Applewhite or Coley would cement that.

True, but you wonder how those offensive rankings change with a better defense that can give you the ball back and give you better field position? Like I have mentioned elsewhere he was considered somewhat of a wunderkind by Saban and Brown who put him in high level positions at a relatively young age. Herman literally plucked him out of a basement having conversations with him over beers to be his OC at Houston. Next thing you know he is an HC and despite the brain fart hiring D'NO, he did bring a young offensive innovator to be his OC in Briles that we would have salivated over as our OC.

Probably brings an extensive play book with spread concepts and tempo. We could do worse.

We could do MUCH better and we should. Hiring Applewhite would be a mistake.

Last 4 years at Houston....not so crappy.

2015 20th called plays
2016 41st called plays
2017 40th
2018 7th

Coached under Saban, Mack Brown, Tom Herman, and also had Kendall Briles playbook.

Not a horrible choice but not my #1 by any means.

Lost the UL-Monroe game for Saban....

Advertisement
Let’s be clear he’s much better than richt and it’s not even close. It would for sure be a more than solid hire if that is indeed the case but we possibly could do a bit better.

With that being said I did love Houston’s offense in the 2015 season and 2016 season and they were really agressive. Applewhite absolutely called the plays and every time I watched houston those years their offense was always pretty fun and interesting to see how explosive they were. Remember in that time frame they beat FSU in the bowl game 38-24 when FSU was loaded on defense in 2015 and the next year beat a top 3 ranked Oklahoma or so in 2016 with Applewhite calling plays with Houston talent.

97120854-871B-428E-AFC8-EDEF41DD481F.jpeg

After researching this a bit more and how ballsy Herman had houston playing 2015 and 2016 particularly their offense I am finally starting to warm back up to the possibility of Applewhite as an oc actually

yeah, but that's clearing a VERY low bar

Exactly. This is also why I've been *****ing about Ponce. Our last offense set the bar so low that some people are open to settling for ANYONE with a pulse. We are not app state. We are not Houston. We are not temple. We are the U. Dont even want to hear that they've done.. Whatever.. Recently. Fact remains, no matter how well they do, they are not on our level. Period. So do not hire their assistants like they are.

Advertisement
Exactly. This is also why I've been *****ing about Ponce. Our last offense set the bar so low that some people are open to settling for ANYONE with a pulse. We are not app state. We are not Houston. We are not temple. We are the U. Dont even want to hear that they've done.. Whatever.. Recently. Fact remains, no matter how well they do, they are not on our level. Period. So do not hire their assistants like they are.

What in the holy **** are you talking about? You know one reason we're "the U"? We hired a drunk from Washington State who had never won more than 9 games in a season. He brought his offense and won two national titles. Before that, Miami hired a guy from Oklahoma State who was Switzer's ***** there. All he did was was play for multiple national titles and win one in '87. Miami was built on finding up and comers with something to prove. If guys can coach they can coach.

We could do MUCH better and we should. Hiring Applewhite would be a mistake.

Hiring Coley is a mistake. Hiring Applewhite is a good consolation if Fedora declines. The problem is that people are so gung ho about Fedora that if we hire anyone outside of Josh McDaniels it’s a failed hire.

Reminds me of 3 years ago and everyone wanted Aranda and thought he was a legit option only to lose him and get Diaz. People bytched about Diaz to no end. We see how that hire turned out.

Hiring Coley is a mistake. Hiring Applewhite is a good consolation if Fedora declines. The problem is that people are so gung ho about Fedora that if we hire anyone outside of Josh McDaniels it’s a failed hire.

Reminds me of 3 years ago and everyone wanted Aranda and thought he was a legit option only to lose him and get Diaz. People bytched about Diaz to no end. We see how that hire turned out.

Applewhite is not a good consolation, and I'm not even totally sold on Fedora.

Advertisement
Let’s be clear he’s much better than richt and it’s not even close. It would for sure be a more than solid hire if that is indeed the case but we possibly could do a bit better.

With that being said I did love Houston’s offense in the 2015 season and 2016 season and they were really agressive. Applewhite absolutely called the plays and every time I watched houston those years their offense was always pretty fun and interesting to see how explosive they were. Remember in that time frame they beat FSU in the bowl game 38-24 when FSU was loaded on defense in 2015 and the next year beat a top 3 ranked Oklahoma or so in 2016 with Applewhite calling plays with Houston talent.

View attachment 74277
After researching this a bit more and how ballsy Herman had houston playing 2015 and 2016 particularly their offense I am finally starting to warm back up to the possibility of Applewhite as an oc actually

Ooooh yea. I forgot Applewhite was with Herman. That actually changes my opinion a bit because I want to run that Ohio State/Urban Meyer spread offense. If Applewhite was the OC at houston when Herman was there who runs that same style of offense then I don't think I'd be upset if we hired Apple. It would come down to whether Apple can recruit because Coley can.

Edit: My problem with Coley is if he going to just run a pro style offense like at Georgia. I want to run a true spread with QB run options with a mobile QB. Also most of the QBs other then Rosier Coley recruited were statues (Kaaya, Allison, etc).

Last edited:
It's really an easy call. I'm betting on Diaz simply having reached out to an ex-colleague of his as any coach would do and some ******* at the Hecht wanting Coley and now everyone in the media is running with those names like their on a shortlist. No way Coley or Apple are legit contenders.
Coley is garbage

Is really just a terrible choice.

Below are the rankings for every offense he’s been a coordinator or co-coordinator for. Unlike Fedora, the guy simply doesn’t produce as an OC. There is no need for further analysis.

Rice- 58th
Alabama - 75th
Texas - 54th
Texas - 40th
Texas - 65th
Houston - 20th
Houston - 41st

What the **** are we supposed to do with this guy?

Pass. Let’s hope Fedora says yes or the second candidate isn’t some overhyped hilljack with a terrible record of producing offenses.

I don't support hiring of anyone who hire Dorito:diaf-mark:

Ooooh yea. I forgot Applewhite was with Herman. That actually changes my opinion a bit because I want to run that Ohio State/Urban Meyer spread offense. If Applewhite was the OC at houston when Herman was there who runs that same style of offense then I don't think I'd be upset if we hired Apple. It would come down to whether Apple can recruit because Coley can.

Edit: My problem with Coley is if he going to just run a pro style offense like at Georgia. I want to run a true spread with QB run options with a mobile QB. Also most of the QBs other then Rosier Coley recruited were statues (Kaaya, Allison, etc).
And Applewhite runs a true spread which was similar to what Herman runs. Forgot that he called plays there with greg Ward as his qb and Herman being his head coach in Houston. His offense was pretty **** agressive

Advertisement
Back