Major Applewhite

Career top 50 offensive guy. Not elite but good. Too 50 this year would have had us back in the ACCCG. Also Applewhite has never coached a team made up of mainly South Florida kids so maybe he can do better with better talent than he had at Houston?

Not my top choice but Miami was never going to pull off the top minds in the game. Fedora brings more to the table after coaching in our conference for years but Applewhite comes with HC experience as well.

Advertisement
Averaged 40 points and 480 yards per game in 2015 as OC and play caller. How can anyone complain about that after watching our offense the last 2 seasons?

I am at a point where I am going to just start ignoring posters who say..

"Applewhite didn't call plays, Herman did!" (False. Applewhite called the plays on the 2015 team that everyone loved and put UH and Herman on the map.)
"Applewhites offense is too vanilla!" (really? Hmm..Won a national title at OSU when Herman was using it..)
"Briles is better!" (Well, Applewhite was Briles 3 years ago so basically you are just getting the older version of Briles)
"Applewhite hired Dno! Hes stupid!" (Well, he hired Briles..and this board would have started a GoFundMe for a chance at Briles so Applewhite doesn't get credit for that?)
"Applewhite failed at UH!!" (We are hiring him as our OC, not our HC)
"Applewhite was fired by Saban!" (Saban was still running the **** I-formation and didn't understand the spread then. Oh and btw, it was Sabans first year as HC at Bama too!)
"Applewhite is...is...is...is...okay F it I just want Fedora!!" (Fedora clearly doesn't want to be here. Or he would have taken the job by now. Let him go to Temple if he wants. Good luck with that, Fedora! Applewhite wants to be here and is hungry! Just like Diaz was 3 years ago!)

The question is did he borrow from Briles and adapt his own philosophy?

The best offensive minds are always tinkering.

I can’t get a good read on Applewhite.

More like borrowed from Tom Herman and Briles fit that philosophy.

"Applewhite didn't call plays, Herman did!" (False. Applewhite called the plays on the 2015 team that everyone loved and put UH and Herman on the map.)
"Applewhites offense is too vanilla!" (really? Hmm..Won a national title at OSU when Herman was using it..)
"Briles is better!" (Well, Applewhite was Briles 3 years ago so basically you are just getting the older version of Briles)
"Applewhite hired Dno! Hes stupid!" (Well, he hired Briles..and this board would have started a GoFundMe for a chance at Briles so Applewhite doesn't get credit for that?)
"Applewhite was fired by Saban!" (Saban was still running the **** I-formation and didn't understand the spread then. Oh and btw, it was Sabans first year as HC at Bama too!)
"Applewhite is...is...is...is...okay F it I just want Fedora!!" (Fedora clearly doesn't want to be here. Or he would have taken the job by now. Let him go to Temple if he wants. Good luck with that, Fedora! Applewhite wants to be here and is hungry! Just like Diaz was 3 years ago!)

Thank you. I was going to type up something very similar after work. Guy would be the best OC we have had in over 20 years. I would be Hppy with him or fedora. I also don’t think Briles is a better candidate then Applewhite. How miserable are some of y’all to try and do everything possible to make major look unqualified.

This is where my mind keeps going back to. How stupid can Applewhite be?

My first question to him in the interview would have been his decision making on having that dipsht on his staff. Nothing else would have been more important to me than his thought process on that choice.

Advertisement
I’ll take a top 50 offense in a heartbeat after what I had to watch all **** year....Rome wasn’t built in a day people.

Good, I'm glad you see that there is an ignore button.

**** after reading this, I’m just about ready to run through a wall.

This is not a good hire. 1st mistake of Mannys extremely brief tenure.
I wouldn’t call it a mistake because I’ve never seen his O with a good QB and we’re getting big consideration from a NFL prospect in Tyree Jackson but he’s not Fedora, is underwhelming, and doesn’t have the potential a Graham Harrell hire, Mike Lynch of Syracuse, or a Brian Wright hire.

Advertisement
**** after reading this, I’m just about ready to run through a wall.

Look..Fedora is my #1 choice too. But god dammit I feel like posters are putting so much negative energy into the air that we might actually miss out on a **** good #2 option and be stuck with Coley! Or some other bum! If posters don't like Applewhite for some reason unknown to anyone then fine, but to spew out things that are just lies is misleading to fans who don't know that this guy is pretty **** good in his own right.

And I am actually starting to sour on Fedora because his motives are clear. He is one and done even if he takes the job. So we are back at this again next January... I don't think Applewhites reputation is a one year fix. I think we have him for at least 2-3 years IMO.

All the numbers are fine but is pretty clear what those number are based on. In the years that the offense were successful he had talented QBs. You can point to the minds around him but Tom Herman's offenses at Texas his first two years as HC are not better than his offenses at UH while Applewhite was calling plays. Why? Greg Ward is better than Ehlinger. At Texas the likes of David Ash and Case McCoy(the other McCoy) were Applewhite's QBs. At Alabama it was John Parker Wilson. At Houston last year the QBs were Kyle Allen and some guy named Postma. This year under Briles, D'Eriq King was the guy before he got hurt and he accounted for 50 TDs. Find a dynamic talented QB and the offense he brings here will be fine.

That's a fair response. And it brings up the larger issue, which is that all successful offenses today have a talented guy at QB. For sure, a good OC can make a QB better, but the QB must have some basic attributes to work with. And those required attributes are different depending on the team and the scheme.

Alabama (Tua), Clemson (Lawrence), UGA (Fromm), etc. have guys who're great passers in terms of anticipation, accuracy and ability to see the field. They're among the most talented passers in college football. Yes those guys can run, but it's a purely opportunistic part of their game. For other teams like OU (Murray), UCF (Milton), Houston (Ward & King), and maybe now Texas (with Ehlinger) they have guys who thrive in an offense where QB runs are a deliberate part of the offense. No, those guys aren't as great pure pocket passers as the aforementioned group, but their effectiveness as runners create more openings in the passing game and they're good enough enough passers to take advantage.

Since it looks like Applewhite will be the guy, the question moves to what style of QB play fits with his system? As you noted, Houston's success on offense came along with Greg Ward (who I liked a lot) and D'Eriq King at QB.

So here's the question: do you/we think that at UM, Applewhite is going to run an offense that's compatible with the Greg Ward/D'Eriq king QB skill set? Because it's the only offense that Applewhite's run successfully. And if so, it speaks to the need to a specific type of QB that we don't have on the team currently (and the Jackson kid from Buffalo isn't it either).

Or, does Applewhite try to run a more pure passer type of offense? If so, then the issue is that not only do we not have this type of QB on the roster (unless Williams is it), but there's also the secondary issue that Applewhite has never successfully recruited for, nor run this type of offense.

If Applewhite goes with the former approach, I could see it being successful. We should certainly be able to recruit the Greg Ward/D'eriq King type of QB's. Quinton Flowers type kids get produced all the time in SoFl. And this style of offense would have been perfect for Lamar Jackson. On the other hand, if Applewhite tries for the former approach, what data points suggest he'd be successful with it? When has a recruited the type of high quality pure passer that it takes to run that type of offense? And when has he run a successful offense that did not have the threat of a legitimate running QB as a significant component?

Again, assuming Applewhite is going to be the guy, what style offense will he run, and what style of QB will he need to run it? Those become the questions.

Advertisement
Gimme a break, whens the last time Feast saw an apple not inside a pie?

Even so, bring me the Major!

Feast: "Miami is hiring Major White."
Fans: "Who?"
Feast: "Major White."
Fans: "You mean APPLE-White? Apple. Like the fruit. "
Feast: "What's an "apple"? I've never seen fruit before."

I laugh at those who want Coley back. Seriously wtf did he do when he was here, seriously? I want no parts of fat Al retreads anywhere near this program.
Coley has a cult following. We hated Coley, even his recruiting was over rated

Jedd Fisch and James Coley being mentioned now.

I’m sorry, Major, you know how I get when I’m mad, baby. Cmon back, girl. Those other OCs meant nothing. It won’t happen again. We took your for granted.

Advertisement

I’m sorry, Major, you know how I get when I’m mad, baby. Cmon back, girl. Those other OCs meant nothing. It won’t happen again. We took your for granted.
This would be absolutely hilarious...if it wasn't slightly true.

I mean Major would be an upgrade over the two you mentioned and i would kill for the Toledo OC over those two also

But who are the folks mentioning Fisch and Coley, the same ones who have mentioned Hester and all of these
other candidates who never came to fruition (as UM hires)?
No one knows anything.
Fact.

Advertisement
Back