Lorenzo Lingard

Again...I'm not saying 210 is a weight Lingard HAS to get to

I'm saying....projecting to the NFL....210 is "roughly" the weight where a RB can start carrying a full workload "much more often" - therefore giving him a more value/potential/higher ceiling. So I would "like" to see him get to 210+. Statistics back this, it's not arbitrary.

Duke probably played somewhere between 195-205 at Miami and was awesome. But his size lowers his NFL ceiling. Lingard can play at 205 and be awesome. He'll just have a lower NFL ceiling than if he were 215.

Here's a chart from Brian Burke who does Analytics at ESPN.

His Top 3 NFL Combine predictors for NFL success for a RB are in order:

1) 40 Time
2) Weight
3) 3 Cone Drill

View attachment 87343

It' best to be Big & Fast. If you're not Big, you better be Fast. If you're not Fast, you better be Big. If you're not Big or Fast - good luck.
210 will be easy for lingard, he may be that by next month really.

Advertisement
Every single guy on your under 210 list had a season in college of 1500+ rushing yds. Yes, you need to be bigger to consistently withstand the punishment of an NFL season. But I'm more worried about what you can do as a Cane. I'll take a 1500 yard rusher on my team any day, whether he's 190 or 230.

That's an excellent point and I agree with you. But I think "College Production" and "NFL Potential" are 2 different discussions.

College Production
- Yearby can be a 1,000 yd back at 190 lbs. & 4.7 40
- Walton can be a 1,000 yd back at 200 lbs. & 4.6 40

But their NFL potential is limited, even though they were very productive at the college level.

We need to start getting more players that are productive at both the College and NFL level. The more players we get that are going to become good NFL players, the more games we'll win. That's a super simple and obvious point - but I'm trying to show how something small like a RB's weight factors into that.

NFL Potential
RB's under 210 pretty much have to have run for 1,500 yds in a season to be drafted int he first 3 Rounds to show that:

1) They've shown durability by handling a full workload in college
2) They're big time playmakers
3) They need to be fast (sorry Bills & Lions fans - your teams messed up)

Bigger RB's don't have to do that. Sony Michel and Josh Jacobs can become 1st round picks being career backups running slower 40 times because the have the weight to carry a full workload in the NFL.

Last edited:
That's an excellent point and I agree with you. But I think "College Production" and "NFL Potential" are 2 different discussions.

College Production
- Yearby can be a 1,000 yd back at 190 lbs. & 4.7 40
- Walton can be a 1,000 yd back at 200 lbs. & 4.6 40

But their NFL potential is limited, even they were very productive at the college level.

We need to start getting more players that are productive at both the College and NFL level. The more players we get that are going to become good NFL players, the more games we'll win. That's a super simple and obvious point - but I'm trying to show how something small like a RB's weight factors into that.

NFL Potential
RB's under 210 pretty much have to have run for 1,500 yds in a season to be drafted int he first 3 Rounds to show that:

1) They've shown durability by handling a full workload in college
2) They're big time playmakers
3) They need to be fast (sorry Bills & Lions fans - your teams messed up)

Bigger RB's don't have to do that. Sony Michel and Josh Jacobs can become 1st round picks being career backups running slower 40 times because the have the weight to carry a full workload in the NFL.
So more don Chaney’s and less Henry parrish’s(who I think Is a lot like yearby but smaller and a bit faster) In a sense? I agree Whole heartedly with that

Advertisement
You’re relentless.

I’m a real world stats guy.

Your info is anecdotal, not statistically valid, therefore I am 100% unconvinced that the few pounds you’re talking about makes a difference.

Big, fast, ok, you forgot shifty, and good vision.

You can be not big, not fast, just fast enough, and if you have superior vision and shiftiness and cutting ability, make good decisions, you can be a very good running back maybe an all NFL type running back.

We can just keep going round and round

You're 100% correct

Lingard weighing 210+ isn't a requirement. I'm saying it's a bonus.

As long as he's over 210. I've been told that's the critical factor.

Whoever told you that is incorrect.

If someone told you 210 is "roughly" the weight where a RB can "usually" start to handle a larger workload - that would be correct.

It's a general statement, not a definitive statement.

Advertisement
Whoever told you that is incorrect.

If someone told you 210 is "roughly" the weight where a RB can "usually" start to handle a larger workload - that would be correct.

It's a general statement, not a definitive statement.
That was a jab. No need to parry.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Is Larry Bluestein going senile? He said on a podcast that Lingard may move to LB. Why are people so dumb?
He didn’t say he may move to linebacker, he said he thinks he should because how loaded Miami is at linebacker. Either way it’s a dumb take from Larry who knows his stuff for the most part.

Advertisement
Back