Lookin like Dennis Turner and Ryan Mayes......

canesman

Junior
won't be in this class.

Also, Gray Crow won't be around much longer. Steven Morris had day off at practice yesterday; nonethless, Crow didn't get a single rep.

Golden is really good at getting rid of his recruiting mistakes....I will give him that.

Advertisement
Every HC makes recruiting mistakes. If after 2-3 years such recruit is not going to contribute, then be honest with the young man and let him know to look elsewhere....

won't be in this class.

Also, Gray Crow won't be around much longer. Steven Morris had day off at practice yesterday; nonethless, Crow didn't get a single rep.

Golden is really good at getting rid of his recruiting mistakes....I will give him that.

I actually would have been ok with Mayes. He would have been a project though. I think we had him committed in order to have him as a place holder. We needed a safety no matter what. Now that we are getting in on these other big time safety prospects, we would have to feel good about their recruitment. These two kids just seem to me, not the HIGH level D-1 talent. But Mayes and Turner could be good in lower levels though. No knock against the kids.

Advertisement
We NEED talent. Point blank...

Golden must continue to upgrade everything position whenever possible!!!

That's the reality of the game.

I hope Mayes sticks. I like his size and he's only going to grow more. Plus Swasey will get him stronger. He's aggressive and doesn't mind hittin. Lots of upside

Our safety depth is so thin we will need a couple guys in this class who can crack the two deep next year. The collapse of our D has necessitated plugging guys in who are capable of contributing early. Mayes and Turner probably did not fit that mold. The safety play in the FSU /Duke game last night reminded me just how important a difference maker can be at that position. Watkins and Joyner are studs, as is the freshman from Duke who dropped Greene with a viscous hit.

I think Mayes is pretty **** good. I actually hope he sticks. It seems Gray may not qualify, and Turner may be on the move. But I hope Mayes sticks around unless we land a couple of real studs that are unheard of at this point ala Tyriq McCord.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Can't sign kids like Turner and Mayes with our scholarship issues over the next 3 years. Dead weight.

Can't sign kids like Turner and Mayes with our scholarship issues over the next 3 years. Dead weight.
Lol check Turners Highlight tape and see if you think he's dead weight. Just because these two aren't 4 or 5 stars doesn't mean they won't produce in a couple of years.

Advertisement
Question: How does a coach tell a recruit that he has a scholarship, and then months later tell him sorry, we have moved on?

Obviously I have no idea what the coaching staff has told them behind the scenes, but hopefully if they no longer want them in this class, that message has been relayed to them so they can reopen their recruitment. I guess I'm in the minority but I find the whole notion of running off underperforming players distasteful. The coaches are the ones with the years of experience to hone their craft at identifying and projecting talent. If they miss on an evaluation, they should be the ones who have to pay for it, not the kid.

It's difficult to deal with the idiocy of some posters on this board.

With Coley, Dixon, Langham, Berrios, Lewis, Waters, Scott, Griffin, etc. what is the point of bringing in Turner as a wide receiver?

We recruited him as a corner, because we have a need for a guy like him at corner. If he is replaced by JC Jackson, Turner has no spot on this roster.

If you want to continue as an 8 to 9 win program, we should follow your theory and just bring in every good South Florida wide receiver. Let's just carry 25 wide receivers no safeties and no defensive tackles you moron.

Advertisement
Obviously I have no idea what the coaching staff has told them behind the scenes, but hopefully if they no longer want them in this class, that message has been relayed to them so they can reopen their recruitment. I guess I'm in the minority but I find the whole notion of running off underperforming players distasteful. The coaches are the ones with the years of experience to hone their craft at identifying and projecting talent. If they miss on an evaluation, they should be the ones who have to pay for it, not the kid.

And in that event, when the coaches accept their commitment when they don't want them, and those kids are riding the pine the whole time they're here, who benefits from that situation?

So, canesman says we're done with those two guys, and that means it's true? Let's see how long it takes before this becomes internet fact.

You guys are the main ones crying and screaming we don't have talent on D.

If they can bring in a good CB it's too bad but bye turner. He may be a decent reciever but not better than what we have or are bringing in this year or next.

Mayes is a project at best. Not trashing dude but if they can get a kiy hester or another good safety prospect i think he could be good at a smaller school like usf.

You want to be dominate again you can't keep bringing in the rodgers, armbristers, gaines of the world.

FWIW, I've been hearing the same thing for a while. Turner isn't explosive/Jackson MUCH BETTER at that scholarship slot. Mayes, questions about his ability to cover/weird, boxy frame.

Again, just things I've heard around. Not saying it's gospel, but I don't think this thread was entirely off base.

Advertisement
Back