Look to the Transfer Portal: Discussion thread

Advertisement
this is a fair take but it also outlines my main issue. We took two starter defensive tackles…for this roster. There were better options out there like Nolan. We didn’t even try. The corner from Washington. The corners that were available. All positions of need and we got guys that aren’t as good as what’s out there. Maybe they have different evals than common folk, but I’m just not sure when we jump in and when we don’t
We just don’t know what the real story is though. Maybe we contacted those guys and they were like “yeah I’m already going to x” or maybe they were demanding huge NIL deals? It’s fair to say that most of the big names in the portal were tampered with. They know where they’re going before they even enter the portal. I just don’t think it’s a case of our staff purposely choosing lesser players because they don’t want the best guys.

We’ve done good in the portal, nothing to **** and moan about. But its fair to also say texas and uga have made moves for another championship run. *** uga, but i aint mad at texas. They were in similar shoes to us over all these years, finally got it going good. Hopefully we’ll continue in a similar trajectory. If our NiL stays strong and dedicated and if we can sneak into 12 team playoff, i think our offseasons will be pretty fun.

We’ve done good in the portal, nothing to **** and moan about. But its fair to also say texas and uga have made moves for another championship run. *** uga, but i aint mad at texas. They were in similar shoes to us over all these years, finally got it going good. Hopefully we’ll continue in a similar trajectory. If our NiL stays strong and dedicated and if we can sneak into 12 team playoff, i think our offseasons will be pretty fun.
Our NIL is good, maybe even VERY good, but I bet it is not even close to what they have going on at Texas. Elite stuff.

Advertisement
Our NIL is good, maybe even VERY good, but I bet it is not even close to what they have going on at Texas. Elite stuff.
They are. You’re not wrong. But if miami can get winning at elite levels, how many sofla millionaire/billionaires can we attract that like to ride the wave of success.

These questions aren't allowed here for whatever reason. It's not mopery it's common sense.
_
This is going to be interpreted as mopery, but it’s not intended as such to a significant level. We selectively target elite players in the portal. Cam Ward is elite and we bagged him. **** ya that’s great. But we don’t do this across the board. Texas does. Ole Miss does. The majority of our portal players are depth pieces. Why is that? Some schools are filling starting spots with all conference level guys no matter who else they have. It’s got to be part of roster building strategy. We are keeping guys like McCormick for a reason when there are upgrades available in the portal
Miami has a Top 5 NIL program, maybe higher, but money isn’t infinite.

We signed a Top 5 class and the best QB in the Portal, along with other starters. This is coming off three bad seasons and 20 years of irrelevance. That’s expensive.

_

We signed a Top 5 class and the best QB in the Portal, along with other starters. This is coming off three bad seasons and 20 years of irrelevance. That’s expensive.
And I’d venture to say that the gap between #5 and #1 is probably at least twice as big as #5 to #15.

Texas, likely being the #1 NIL program, has so much **** money they can afford to have the #1 recruiting class and the #1 portal class.

The Name, Image and Likeness ship sailed. This is the Wild, Wild, West of Pay For Play!
It is, but the ship never sailed. If the courts overturned NIL, we would be right back to SEC bags under the table, etc etc. The point is, there's no way to cap any of this. It's not one entity paying.

Advertisement
_

And probably 95% funded by a few billionaires out of their own generosity. With our poor performance and small alumni, I doubt much of the money to Canes connection is coming from normal fans.

_

☆Miami has a Top 5 NIL program, maybe higher, but money isn’t infinite.

We keep attempting to place bandaids on instead of applying a tourniquet. If we are focusing on HS recruiting adding Gore, Lichtenstein, Cook level players only take away from reps for young guys like Moten and Horton.
I've already conceeded that I'm not going to rag on Mario. I came to the realization that we are working off of a 5-10 year plan vs an immediate fix. QB can mask a lot of other deficiencies so I'm at bay.

We keep attempting to place bandaids on instead of applying a tourniquet. If we are focusing on HS recruiting adding Gore, Lichtenstein, Cook level players only take away from reps for young guys like Moten and Horton.
I've already conceeded that I'm not going to rag on Mario. I came to the realization that we are working off of a 5-10 year plan vs an immediate fix. QB can mask a lot of other deficiencies so I'm at bay.
DT is a rotation position and an age position. Trust me, you will be seeing a ton of Horton and Moten in spring if they stay healthy.

Advertisement
So, do you propose limiting another man’s earning potential then??? The kids should be paid their market value. I don’t care if that’s NIL or “ value brought to institution based on football potential”, I don’t believe in taking bread out of another man’s mouth.
Let’s just call it what it is then.

DT is a rotation position and an age position. Trust me, you will be seeing a ton of Horton and Moten in spring if they stay healthy.
If they can develop good then our defense is already as good if not better than last year. Williams played good but Kam kind of got undisciplined in key moments.

If they can develop good then our defense is already as good if not better than last year. Williams played good but Kam kind of got undisciplined in key moments.
The front 7 should be better, the backend on the other hand…. Powell will help for sure but Patterson is going to have to develop fast. Still think we need a CB1 from the portal.

Advertisement
Texas took 28, 25,and 22 players in the last 3 full classes for Sarkisan. They built the team like Bama and UGA. All 3 classes were top 5. Those classes provided the basement for them to get elite players in the portal. And those players were not hanging out in the portal, they enticed them to get in.

Texas took 7 commits in the portal. UGA took 6, we got 9 so far. Those are the teams we are tracking to build the team up.

The next step Cristobal needs to take is the step Sarkisan took this past season in his 3rd year. Win 10 games, Win a conference title, beat the in state rivals.

Thats how u become viable to entice players into the portal. Its quite clear.

Louisville has 26 portal players, thatsnot gonna be us sorry. I like what we doing

Texas took 28, 25,and 22 players in the last 3 full classes for Sarkisan. They built the team like Bama and UGA. All 3 classes were top 5. Those classes provided the basement for them to get elite players in the portal. And those players were not hanging out in the portal, they enticed them to get in.

Texas took 7 commits in the portal. UGA took 6, we got 9 so far. Those are the teams we are tracking to build the team up.

The next step Cristobal needs to take is the step Sarkisan took this past season in his 3rd year. Win 10 games, Win a conference title, beat the in state rivals.

Louisville has 26 portal players, thatsnot gonna be us sorry. I like what we doing
You think we are recruiting at the same level as Texas?

Agree on all points except Cristobal needs to do what Sark did in year two by winning 8 games first. Btw that 8-5 season was considered a failure by Longhorn fans but I really did like that team and was not surprised they made the jump to the playoffs in the following year.

Advertisement
Back