Look to the Transfer Portal: Discussion thread

Advertisement
Advertisement
How can you cap every business in America? They aren’t being paid to play football. They are being paid for name, image, and likeness.
The Name, Image and Likeness ship sailed. This is the Wild, Wild, West of Pay For Play!

Advertisement
With the NCAA lawsuit regarding transfers I wouldn’t be surprised unlimited transfers will happen soon so if Hartline were to leave would interesting to see who would hit Portal in May

Advertisement
This is going to be interpreted as mopery, but it’s not intended as such to a significant level. We selectively target elite players in the portal. Cam Ward is elite and we bagged him. **** ya that’s great. But we don’t do this across the board. Texas does. Ole Miss does. The majority of our portal players are depth pieces. Why is that? Some schools are filling starting spots with all conference level guys no matter who else they have. It’s got to be part of roster building strategy. We are keeping guys like McCormick for a reason when there are upgrades available in the portal
I Believe it’s because Mario wants to build the roster through HS recruiting and use the portal to fill holes. Just a feeling based on how we’ve operated the last two years.

Advertisement
Mario might be concerned our young players may transfer out if we bring in top guys and start them ahead of them?
You’re probably right. And I have contended that he probably recruits guys based on the premise of recruiting HS kids but not portalling over them. But buddy needs to win. You know what else will lead to an exodus? Another 6 win season

Reasonable question and not one that anyone outside the athletic department might have a legit answer to. We did sign starters at quarterback, center, both safety spots (or 1 safety, 1 nickel) and likely DT. So it’s not like we’ve sat around doing nothing. We also seem to have a certain philosophy when it comes to recruiting high school kids and portal guys. We allocate a TON of resources towards high school kids and it’s paid off so far with two near elite classes.

As for the portal, our staff seems to prefer proven veterans over former blue chip types who didn’t produce at their first stop. We’re not hoping to develop someone else’s leftovers. I also believe that we don’t budget nearly as much towards transfers as we do towards recruits so we’re not in the mix for every single transfer who’s going to command 7 figures. We used our portal cash wisely on the best player at the most important position.

This is all just my opinion and observations. I don’t know any more than anyone else though. Would I like to see us chasing every impact player available? Yeah but there’s got to be a reason behind their choices. It’s not like the staff is just saying “we don’t want these proven talents”. It’s likely due to budget constraints.
this is a fair take but it also outlines my main issue. We took two starter defensive tackles…for this roster. There were better options out there like Nolan. We didn’t even try. The corner from Washington. The corners that were available. All positions of need and we got guys that aren’t as good as what’s out there. Maybe they have different evals than common folk, but I’m just not sure when we jump in and when we don’t

The Name, Image and Likeness ship sailed. This is the Wild, Wild, West of Pay For Play!
Exactly this. 👆👆👆

These kids aren’t out selling their autographs like Johnny Football and Todd Gurley. They’re offering their on-field services to the highest bidder. Calling it “Name, Image, and Likeness” is a joke at this point.

Exactly this. 👆👆👆

These kids aren’t out selling their autographs like Johnny Football and Todd Gurley. They’re offering their on-field services to the highest bidder. Calling it “Name, Image, and Likeness” is a joke at this point.
So, do you propose limiting another man’s earning potential then??? The kids should be paid their market value. I don’t care if that’s NIL or “ value brought to institution based on football potential”, I don’t believe in taking bread out of another man’s mouth.

Advertisement
Back