Look how far We've Come...

Advertisement
I only will touch D's and larger...

D's....NUTZ....

1696560017415.png

Obviously Mario gets credit for the trenches too but imagine for a second that you have no idea who Mirabal is and he's in line in front of you at Publix. Then I tell you THIS is the dude that's gonna fix our line and make them maulers again. IF/WHEN we become and stay nationally relevant, he's going to be an easy focus for the human interest stories that will be done about us on Gameday, etc.

Funny thing is he played the position. I realize it was high school, but holy ****. How was that even possible?

Advertisement
To those who say Randy, I say you never hire from a regime that is going downhill, and that Randy was never HC material. He just shouldn't have been hired.

To those who say Manny, he at least made offseason roster and staff moves. He showed a willingness to TRY to adapt, even if he was ain WAY over his head. Similar hire to Randy, although two different personalities/styles.

Folden just flat out ****es me off. Part of this might be a regional thing, as maybe I dislike him more because he's got a Northern accent, but I don't think so. He was so smug, so "know-it-all" in the way he carried himself, kept on an obviously floundering DC, made no effort to retain a good OC, and most importantly HAD NO ******* CLUE HOW TO USE HIS OWN ROSTER. AJ Highsmith and Kacy Rodgers shouldn't have been starting over Rayshawn Jenkins or Ladarius Gunter. Ever.

Stehpen Morris, Duke Johnson, Herb Waters, Rashawn Scott, Allen Hurns, Brad Kaaya, Jon Feliciano, Linder, Seantrel, Clive Walford, Perryman, Chick.

HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO BE SUCH A ****** LOSER, BRO?!?!?!
Dang forgot about Herb Waters…so many talented kids who had potential NFL futures derailed by that clown.

Funny thing is he played the position. I realize it was high school, but holy ****. How was that even possible?
Exactly. Dude is 5'5" on a good day and I haven't seen any photos from Columbus showing that he went on some Alan Faneca/Orlando Franklin diet since his playing days so he obviously would've been undersized even if he was playing in the 1940s instead of the 80's. I'm sure this started him on a path to mastering technique/footwork/etc. but it'd still be interesting to hear about him as an actual player.

Obviously Mario gets credit for the trenches too but imagine for a second that you have no idea who Mirabal is and he's in line in front of you at Publix. Then I tell you THIS is the dude that's gonna fix our line and make them maulers again. IF/WHEN we become and stay nationally relevant, he's going to be an easy focus for the human interest stories that will be done about us on Gameday, etc.
I would say, “who is this 5’4” guy, and why is he eating a raw t bone steak?”

Advertisement
I don’t go back before Schnelly so:

Jimmy
[I believe Mario]
Howard
Butch
Dennis
Mark

—- Godawful —-
Manny
Al
Randy

I really don’t care how you rank the god awful group. They all have their cons and cons and cons … and a couple pros. I give Manny a break because I “think” he was trying for a DC and missed out on the one he wanted before settling on running it himself. And he hit partial paydirt on Lashlee. But his lack of recruiting and evaluation, and the fact he totally lost the team, really makes me want to put him at the bottom. Randy after Clint Hurt left was irredeemable at recruiting as well. Golden at least recruited hard especially after he brought in Coley.

As awful as Shannon, Golden, and The former mayor's son were, and yes they were bad, you have go to the root cause of the problem which were the people who hired them. This program was basically left on its own like a newborn kitten and no one cared. For years, we heard "Miami doesn't have the money to hire a big name!" Well enter Mark Richt(thank you coach) and all of a sudden we have 2017. IMO, there are still some admins that still could care less about this program but since it appears that MIami is on the rise(at least so far), they will reluctantly give a half hearted applause.

What's worse? A guy who lived by the Peter Principle or the guy who was so stubborn to change the defense? I'd argue that Golden's teams at least were showing glimmers of hope in his talent accumulation especially on offense. Manny just didn't give a **** about recruiting. Gluten, OTOH, was too stubborn to hire a real DC and that was his downfall. I give him credit for hiring a guy like Fisch - who was probably very unconventional in Alf's eyes b/c he did not have a fIzIkUlL philososphy.
Glimmers of hope, when?

He had one “winning” season in 5 years & even in that season got absolutely throttled by FSU, Va Tech, Duke & Teddy Bridgewater’s LVille.

Folden was not a good recruiter, if you stacked up the colossal misses he had during his tenure it would amount to a fckin All-Star team. Talent acquisition without actually doing anything with the talent is not a feather in a Coaches cap, it’s an asterisk that shows how bad they are at their job.

Al Folden’s downfall was that he was a Bad HC & has been for the entirety of his career. He was terrible at Temple & he was the exact same at Miami.

Glimmers of hope, when?

He had one “winning” season in 5 years & even in that season got absolutely throttled by FSU, Va Tech, Duke & Teddy Bridgewater’s LVille.

Folden was not a good recruiter, if you stacked up the colossal misses he had during his tenure it would amount to a fckin All-Star team. Talent acquisition without actually doing anything with the talent is not a feather in a Coaches cap, it’s an asterisk that shows how bad they are at their job.

Al Folden’s downfall was that he was a Bad HC & has been for the entirety of his career. He was terrible at Temple & he was the exact same at Miami.

Lol I deleted my post knowing you’d write a long post putting my post in its place. You’re right - I’ve had enough Alf Gluten talk for the night. Fml those were some loooong years as cloud cane fans.

Advertisement
Lol I deleted my post knowing you’d write a long post putting my post in its place. You’re right - I’ve had enough Alf Gluten talk for the night. Fml those were some loooong years as cloud cane fans.
All good brotha, I never have a problem with a good discussion.

The topic of Al Folden just always gets my blood boiling because I hated him from the moment he was hired.

I wasn’t on this board, but I remember on Bleacher Report I used to argue with Foldenites constantly who were always parroting the “just give’em one more year” line every single fckin season smh lol

It always baffled my mind that he had supporters for as long as he did, I was genuinely confused what people were actually seeing that made them think that Orange tie wearing mf’er was gonna do anything except lose when it mattered the most.

The infamous Clemson handshake was the perfect encapsulation of his tenure here, a pure disgrace.

My argument for Folden (not going to repost since I pretty much already did a dissertation on the topic lol)

👉🏽 https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/which-fired-coach-do-we-hate-the-most.178792/post-6002931

Oh, I agree w/ all of this. However, allow me to counter ur dissertation.

1. If Golden was unqualified to come coach here, then Diaz should be considered an abomination

2. We talk about Golden’s losses at Temple, yet Diaz led these Miami Hurricanes as the only P5 team in history to lose to the mighty Flopping International University. We also lost to the 3-9 Bumble Bees, the 5-7 Blue Lost Angel, & the mighty G5 LA Tech in a bowl game where we scored a whopping 0 points.

3. In one game, Diaz managed to re-write the ACC, NCAA, & University of Miami history books!

4. Unlike Golden, Diaz was the first coach who coached at least 3 seasons who failed to reach 9 wins by yr 3 since Charlie Tate in the 60’s!

5. U talk about Golden’s recruiting? Well partner how about Cristobal openly told Diaz’s recruits’ parents to come pick up their kids! Lol. We got the class of 2019 that went on the milk carton ASAP.

6. U wanna show pictures of Golden shaking hands w/ Dabo? Take a gander:
IMG_1097.jpeg
IMG_1096.jpeg
IMG_1095.jpeg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Oh, I agree w/ all of this. However, allow me to counter ur dissertation.

1. If Golden was unqualified to come coach here, then Diaz should be considered an abomination

2. We talk about Golden’s losses at Temple, yet Diaz led these Miami Hurricanes as the only P5 team in history to lose to the mighty Flopping International University. We also lost to the 3-9 Bumble Bees, the 5-7 Blue Lost Angel, & the mighty G5 LA Tech in a bowl game where we scored a whopping 0 points.

3. In one game, Diaz managed to re-write the ACC, NCAA, & University of Miami history books!

4. Unlike Golden, Diaz was the first coach who coached at least 3 seasons who failed to reach 9 wins by yr 3 since Charlie Tate in the 60’s!

5. U talk about Golden’s recruiting? We’ll partner how about Cristobal openly told Diaz’s recruits’ parents to come pick up their kids! Lol. We got the class of 2019 that went on the milk carton ASAP.

6. U wanna show pictures of Golden shaking hands w/ Dabo? Take a gander:
Al Folden lost to:
- 2-10 Maryland (2011)
- 4-8 Boston College (2011)
- 4-8 UVA (2012)
- 5-7 UVA (2014)
- 6-7 Pitt (2014)
- 7-6 South Carolina (2014)
- 7-6 Cincinnati (2014)

& got beat 58-0 against Clemson, which is still the worst point margin loss in school history.

He also never beat FSU once in his 5 year tenure, Manny was 2-1 against FSU.

Cristobal definitely did tell parents of Diaz recruits to pick their kids up, but take a wild guess who the majority of the best players on the team are right now? Their parents certainly didn’t drop them off last year...

If we're ranking them, Radio Shannon would be the worst on the list. He sucked at every aspect of head coaching.

* Bowl game against Cal where he had to call a timeout because they had no idea how to call a play in a two minute offense.
* Last game in the Orange Bowl where UVA ran the same play 487 times and Radio's team had no idea how to stop it.
* Recruited like a scorned chick who got dumped on the eve of the prom.
* ****ed up Mark Whipple's 2 minute offense before halftime of a game by randomly calling a timeout for no reason.
* Some of the most silly willy pressers in the history of sport.
* Kirbnobyl

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Back