Al Folden lost to:
- 2-10 Maryland (2011)
- 4-8 Boston College (2011)
- 4-8 UVA (2012)
- 5-7 UVA (2014)
- 6-7 Pitt (2014)
- 7-6 South Carolina (2014)
- 7-6 Cincinnati (2014)

& got beat 58-0 against Clemson, which is still the worst point margin loss in school history.

He also never beat FSU once in his 5 year tenure, Manny was 2-1 against FSU.

Cristobal definitely did tell parents of Diaz recruits to pick their kids up, but take a wild guess who the majority of the best players on the team are right now? Their parents certainly didn’t drop them off last year...

In the battle of corches:

Golden after 3 yrs: 22-15
Diaz after 3 yrs: 21-15

Diaz losses:
7-6 UNC (4th & 17) - 2019
3-9 GT - 2019
6-7 FIU - 2019
5-7 Duke - 2019
6-6 UVA - 2021
6-7 UNC - 2021
5-7 FSU (4th & 13) - 2021

Diaz, again, rewrote The ACC, NCAA, & Miami Record Books in ONE game. So yes, Golden getting blown out 58-0 is wild af, but for a defensive coach to re-write an absurd amount of records in one game is indefensible.

W/ Golden, at least I can say he dealt w/ NCAA bull **** for 3 yrs to begin his career here, what did Diaz deal w/? That’s y I put a slight edge of him being worst than Golden.

Last edited:
Advertisement
No matter what happens, I don't think we'll have to worry about the OL doing photoshoots like this with Mario and Mirabal here...

View attachment 259909
not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Advertisement
Golden was definitely the worst(32-25), but it wasn’t like Shannon was much better either(28-22). When you look back at history and try to figure out where it all went wrong there’s so many candidates. Some people might point to the embarrassing and disgraceful 48-0 beat down in our final game at The O.B. For me, though, it was definitely that Peach Bowl game against LSU. Something changed that night, and this is the first year where I truly feel we’re back to playing Miami football. No more turnover chains and false bravado. This is real…tangible. If there’s one coach in recent memory I look back on and think, "what might have been” it’s Richt. The problem with the Richt hire is we got him way too late. If we would have hired Richt, say, after Coker I honestly think he could have won a National Title and had us winning 10+ games a year.

Advertisement
The level to which the 2012-2014 rosters were wasted is legendary. Arguably the most absurd underachiever in history as a head corch.
I'd argue that the ceiling for the 2012 team was not much higher than it achieved, although scoring allowed could have certainly been reduced under better circumstances. The team was very, very young. On paper, it's talent level had dropped precipitously following normal departures, heavy attrition of the 2010 class and the implosion of the 2011 class. Our blue chip ratio had fallen to just over 20%.

2013 was always going to be tough because the overall roster was thin. Attrition and sanctions had left Miami thin at various positions, and it caught up with us in the last few games. Again, points allowed could have been different however under different circumstances.

The fact that the Defense made a sizable jump from 2015, to 2016 & 2017 off merely a scheme change, speaks volumes to how incompetent Folden was.

A Corch as goofy as Manny was able to take a Defense full of Folden kids & turn them into a viable group for at least 2 seasons lol. Obviously that all ended once he became the Head Corch in charge, but as DC all he had to do was switch from that God forsaken D’No 3-4 & voila, they didn’t look completely inept anymore lol.
It ended because ironically enough, while Manny was better schematically - Golden was the better recruiter.

Golden was definitely the worst(32-25), but it wasn’t like Shannon was much better either(28-22). When you look back at history and try to figure out where it all went wrong there’s so many candidates. Some people might point to the embarrassing and disgraceful 48-0 beat down in our final game at The O.B. For me, though, it was definitely that Peach Bowl game against LSU. Something changed that night, and this is the first year where I truly feel we’re back to playing Miami football. No more turnover chains and false bravado. This is real…tangible. If there’s one coach in recent memory I look back on and think, "what might have been” it’s Richt. The problem with the Richt hire is we got him way too late. If we would have hired Richt, say, after Coker I honestly think he could have won a National Title and had us winning 10+ games a year.
Fully agree on that turning point. Was in Vegas watching. Was the first game I ever stopped watching at half. Miserable ******* night. Never recovered after that game. You're right. That one showed the set tone.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I still can’t believe this is real. I’ve been a Miami fans for almost 25 years, that picture almost made me retire. I loss some friends over that picture.
Sh*t was bad bro… we was already trash on the field. I sent and talked sh*t about them pics to my friends before they could. So I heard very little about it. Last thing I needed was FSU and UF fans blowing my phone up with that nonsense

1696602749253.gif

Last edited:
I'd argue that the ceiling for the 2012 team was not much higher than it achieved, although scoring allowed could have certainly been reduced under better circumstances. The team was very, very young. On paper, it's talent level had dropped precipitously following normal departures, heavy attrition of the 2010 class and the implosion of the 2011 class. Our blue chip ratio had fallen to just over 20%.

2013 was always going to be tough because the overall roster was thin. Attrition and sanctions had left Miami thin at various positions, and it caught up with us in the last few games. Again, points allowed could have been different however under different circumstances.
The loss to Virginia is among the most unacceptable performances I've ever seen, and my previous criticism regarding selection of defensive players goes right to this. We were up by 12 points with less than 3 minutes remaining, and collapsed against an AWFUL team.

Win that game, and we go to 8-4, 6-2 in conference, and outright WIN THE DIVISION. Then, the decision to skip the ACC title game becomes awfully complicated (we probably play the game, vs. F$U btw), and we get a superior bowl game to what we otherwise would have had.

You can see that my hatred for Folden is starting to drip onto the page just thinking about this game in particular. It's the game when I lost ALL belief in him. Nothing about the 7-0 mirage in 2013 changed my opinion. I knew we'd get housed by F$U and then collapse mentally.

Additionally, as to recruiting and roster construction, Folden recruited well in the sense that he got in many guys who were good enough for a cup of coffee in the league, and should have won a lot more games. Manny's teams lacked that talent level (due to his own failures in many respects). That said, Folden could not land the top end players, his teams had ZERO depth, and he couldn't recruit defensive line for **** (even though that was supposed to be what he and D'Ooooofrio were made of).

Advertisement
Back