lol Kirby Smart

UGA will lose the transfer block on appeal.

There is no reason to block him, and he strongly considered Miami coming out of Boone HS in Orlando, FL.

By doing this Smart will alienate Florida kids. As for what happen to Storm Johnson, that was Randy Shannon being a vindictive because he felt storm didn't give UM a committed 100% effort.

Go Canes

Pretty sure that was Al blocking him

Advertisement
Reading this makes me think UGA waited until after NSD to release Turman, knowing he would have had a better chance of landing a spot a school in Florida that could have made room. Furman definitely needs to appeal this.

Link to article
A.J. Turman excited about future after release from Georgia - Orlando Sentinel

AJ Furman was elated about the news he learned on Wednesday.

He was preparing himself for an NCAA hearing next week to determine whether he would be able to gain a release from his athletic scholarship at the University of Georgia. As it turns out, that hearing will not be necessary.

Turman happened to come across a report Wednesday that Georgia had finally agreed to his release and now he is free to see out his future options.

"I'm real happy right now," Turman said. "I didn't know what I was going to do. I thought I was going to have the NCAA hearing, but now I can actually contact schools. I'm very excited."

Turman, a third-year running back out of Orlando Boone High, was seeking his release after failing to see playing time in his previous three seasons. He had entered the 2015 campaign with high hopes after an impressive spring game in which he had 126 yards and two touchdowns, but that promise failed to materialize in the regular season.

"In my heart, I felt like I was going to play a lot last season," Turman said, "but when it came down to it, they didn't play me. I don't why. That will always be a mystery to me."

Turman said he had been working on his release for the past two months.

"They wouldn't release me," he said. "Coach Kirby [Smart] would not release me and if that was the case, i'd have to pay for school wherever I went next year. I don't know what happened, but I read that I got my release yesterday.

"I got my permission to contact last week. They said I could contact any school but UF and Miami."

Turman said he was told he could only contact Florida schools, with the exception of those mentioned above. Florida is an SEC rival, while Miami is where former Georgia head coach Mark Richt is now the head coach.

So FSU, UCF, FAU, FIU and USF will be his initial targets. UCF is limited on what it can do with its scholarship numbers and the Knights aren't likely to use a scholarship on a player who will have to sit out a year, but that remains to be seen.

Turman just knows that he's happy with his release being granted.

"I guess for me here at Georgia, the perfect storm hit at the right time," Turman said. "A lot of things happened that normally don't happen, like my injuries, the new coaches ... I just believe for me to be successful in my future plans is just to move on and go to another school for a better opportunity."

Turman, who sat out his sophomore year after tearing a ligament and chipping a bone in his foot that required two surgeries, will be seeking three years of eligibility wherever he lands. He is planning to file papers with the NCAA for a medical hardship for his second year. He redshirted his first season.

Turman, who ran for 4,867 yards on 710 carries, and scored 55 touchdowns during his career at Boone High, said he has no regrets on choosing to begin his college career in Athens.

"I love Georgia. It's a great fan base," he said. "Outside of football, everything has always worked out for me here at Georgia. I was All-SEC academic, I love the school, the area, the town and we have the greatest fans.

"I feel sad leaving, but it's my time to do it."

Turman still has his sights set on the NFL.

"I want to go where I have the best opportunity to play because I believe that I'm a premiere running back and at my size, I'm 225 right now, about 6-1, and at might size and weight and with my size I'm looking to go to the next level," he said.

UGA will lose the transfer block on appeal.

There is no reason to block him, and he strongly considered Miami coming out of Boone HS in Orlando, FL.

By doing this Smart will alienate Florida kids. As for what happen to Storm Johnson, that was Randy Shannon being a vindictive because he felt storm didn't give UM a committed 100% effort.

Go Canes

Pretty sure that was Al blocking him

I stand corrected that was AL Golden that blocked Storm's Transfer options.

Link to Article
Storm Johnson's father said Canes backfield was 'crowded' for his son | Eye on the U

The main question here is whether Richt would want Turman at Miami considering the RB's available in 2017 and what UM brought in for 2016.

Go Canes

Advertisement
I'm not sure that Turman comes to Miami without the restriction anyway. Apparently, he wasn't happy with the lack of playing time from Richt staff last season:

"In my heart, I felt like I was going to play a lot last season," Turman said, "but when it came down to it, they didn't play me. I don't why. That will always be a mystery to me."

When he was hired I said to many of my friends who are UGA fans that they made a big mistake. Muskchimp part deux if you ask me. When he flops the AD at Georgia will be looking for a new job.

One of my buddies who is a UGA fan made some interesting comments about a year ago. Knowing I am a miami fan, he asked what I felt about the following idea......"what would you think if UGA fired Mark Richt and he ends up at Miami?" I initially laughed and said that I doubted that UGA would fire him. We also had the fat twins running the show and nobody thought that Blake James had the balls to make the right decision. He then stated "watch Mark Richt go to Miami win a national championship". At the time I brushed this off as silly talk but but then look what happened......from his mouth to Gods ears

I'm not sure that Turman comes to Miami without the restriction anyway. Apparently, he wasn't happy with the lack of playing time from Richt staff last season:

lol....oh I don't know why, maybe Sony Michel & Nick Chubb??

Advertisement

lol....oh I don't know why, maybe Sony Michel & Nick Chubb??

Ha! So true.

Plus Brendan Douglass, who, despite being small and slow and having almost zero cutback ability, is entrenched as the #3 RB because he actually understands the playbook and can block and pick up a blitz. Any time he gets into a tight game when Georgia needs more than a yard, we know something different is coming and he is in there to block for it.

Probably because he played QB (at the U, of course), one of Coach Richt's pet peeves is running backs who can't block or pick up a blitz. He has said before if they can't block they can't play, and, over the years, I've seen him yank multiple RB's off the field who went on to the NFL for missing a block. No matter what the game situation was.

So get ready for that :cool:

I doubt richt takes him anyway. Dude would only have 1 year of eligibility left. He is a redshirt jr this year and would have to sit out a year and would be eligible in 2017 as a redshirt sr. No need to waste that scholly.

I don't think he's a good fit for Miami because of the injury's and surgeries. If I were him I'd go to USF.

"Turman, who sat out his sophomore year after tearing a ligament and chipping a bone in his foot that required two surgeries, will be seeking three years of eligibility wherever he lands. He is planning to file papers with the NCAA for a medical hardship for his second year. He redshirted his first season."

We did the same with storm johnson, my cuz is boys with him, kid really liked richt, kinda messed up that they wont let him atleast come here

No we didn't tell storm he couldn't transfer in state. Hence he went to ucf (university of central Florida ) in storms case if you remember at first we told him a set of conditions then storm asked us to reconsider. Ended up like 3 schools he wasn't allowed to attend.

Advertisement
If they are going to have a transfer rule then it should be limited to same conference schools only or a school that is scheduled to play the original school in the kids first year.

This smells of a man that is very afraid that Mark Richt is going to do more longterm damage recruiting his backyard in Georgia and north Florida than he's going to do pulling kids from down here.

We did the same with storm johnson, my cuz is boys with him, kid really liked richt, kinda messed up that they wont let him atleast come here

No we didn't tell storm he couldn't transfer in state. Hence he went to ucf (university of central Florida ) in storms case if you remember at first we told him a set of conditions then storm asked us to reconsider. Ended up like 3 schools he wasn't allowed to attend.

We gave him a limit to where he could transfer, so yes we did the same

Advertisement
If Richt had left on his own, I guess I would see where they're coming from but they fired Richt. If guys want to leave because you fired their head coach, that's on you for firing the guy.

I know it does not and never will work that way but meh. Smart comes off shook.

I'm REALLY looking forward to watching UGA struggle without Richt. They were a garbage program before he came there and will return that level sooner than you think. They'll be begging to have Richt back.

Advertisement
Back