lol Kirby Smart

Rumor Mill – CollegeFootballTalk

After Georgia athletics director Greg McGarity said Friday new Bulldogs head coach Kirby Smart had adjusted the program’s “stance” on unrestricted transfers, Smart confirmed the change on Saturday.

“I wanted to set the precedent for the future that kids would not be able to go to Miami right away,” Smart told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “It’s very important that we understand that, and that’s pretty much standard operating procedure when a coach leaves one place, that a kid can’t go there with the coach. That’s important to me that people understand that.”

I’m sorry, what?

Smart clarified that A.J. Turman, the player at the center of this entire imbroglio, did not actually desire to transfer to Florida or Miami.

“Please understand that A.J. Turman is going to be able to go where he wants to go,” Smart said. “Part of the reason A.J. is leaving is he did not play here. He played two springs here and played pretty good, and we need A.J. Turman on this team. We tried to keep A.J. Turman on this team. But he is not being blocked to where he wants to go. Let’s make that perfectly here.

“Because he did not play here, and the person that was coaching him here is now there at Miami. So that has nothing to do with where he wants to go. He doesn’t want to go to Miami, he’s made that perfectly clear to me.”

But Smart is completely missing the forest for the trees here. Because this is how this story will read to everyone outside Smart’s brain and his employ: Coach who left Alabama for Georgia without penalty halts players from transferring from Georgia to Miami.

It’d be one thing if Mark Richt had left Georgia for Miami on his own, but Georgia fired him. And Miami isn’t on Georgia’s schedule at any point in the foreseeable future.

Smart said that no Georgia players have actually expressed an interest in transferring to Miami. So why the rule then? He says so without saying it here: “Greg (McGarity) realizes that the recruiting world has changed, he’s on the same page with me.”

Reading between the lines here, it appears the potential negative recruiting line of Georgia players bailing on their new coach to play for their old one is the impetus for the rule.

We’ll see if it’s worth the negative recruiting born from this story.

Could explain why Isaiah Mckenzie suddenly went from "I'm transferring to Miami" to "Oh I was just joking."

Advertisement

After Georgia athletics director Greg McGarity said Friday new Bulldogs head coach Kirby Smart had adjusted the program’s “stance” on unrestricted transfers, Smart confirmed the change on Saturday.

“I wanted to set the precedent for the future that kids would not be able to go to Miami right away,” Smart told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “It’s very important that we understand that, and that’s pretty much standard operating procedure when a coach leaves one place, that a kid can’t go there with the coach. That’s important to me that people understand that.”

I’m sorry, what?

Smart clarified that A.J. Turman, the player at the center of this entire imbroglio, did not actually desire to transfer to Florida or Miami.

“Please understand that A.J. Turman is going to be able to go where he wants to go,” Smart said. “Part of the reason A.J. is leaving is he did not play here. He played two springs here and played pretty good, and we need A.J. Turman on this team. We tried to keep A.J. Turman on this team. But he is not being blocked to where he wants to go. Let’s make that perfectly here.

“Because he did not play here, and the person that was coaching him here is now there at Miami. So that has nothing to do with where he wants to go. He doesn’t want to go to Miami, he’s made that perfectly clear to me.”

But Smart is completely missing the forest for the trees here. Because this is how this story will read to everyone outside Smart’s brain and his employ: Coach who left Alabama for Georgia without penalty halts players from transferring from Georgia to Miami.

It’d be one thing if Mark Richt had left Georgia for Miami on his own, but Georgia fired him. And Miami isn’t on Georgia’s schedule at any point in the foreseeable future.

Smart said that no Georgia players have actually expressed an interest in transferring to Miami. So why the rule then? He says so without saying it here: “Greg (McGarity) realizes that the recruiting world has changed, he’s on the same page with me.”

Reading between the lines here, it appears the potential negative recruiting line of Georgia players bailing on their new coach to play for their old one is the impetus for the rule.

Could explain why Isaiah Mckenzie suddenly went from "I'm transferring to Miami" to "Oh I was just joking."

Yep.

Slave master don't want to lose one of his top 3 slaves

Wow, you're really going to go there?

Here's a question, how many of our student athletes or those at most schools would be at said university without relaxed admissions?

Slave, please....gtfo with that ****.

I wouldn't say slaves. But it's hypocritical as **** that when coaches, mostly white can go wherever they want to, while getting paid, without penalty. While the players, mostly black can't transfer without a stiff penalty. If a coach leaves or is fired the kids he recruited and signed should be able to leave that school without penalty that off season. Would you say the NCAA is completely on the up and up after they tried to fck us by doing unethical sht in our investigation, while nothing happens to the Bamas of the world....fck outta hea.

Except for nothing you said is true. If a coach leaves a school on his own he has to pay the school to leave. Last time I checked players are not paying the college to leave. Your take a the race just shows your racial prejudice because it has nothing to do with what are you complaining about.

You sign a scholarship with the school and not the coach. My wife was a D1 athlete and it saved her over $200,000 and the chance to travel all over the country. I would say that is a pretty good deal. There is nothing wrong with blocking transfers to players wanting to go to rivals, follow coaches or schools that are actively recruiting them. The players like the coaches aren't forced to participate in college football. If they don't like the rules or how things go they can go play or coach in the CFL.

This is what's wrong with coaching and NCAA rules in general. If a scholarship is pulled or not "renewed" then that Head-Coach or School should have ABSOLUTELY NO SAY in the athlete's transfer destination. If you are holding kids to a "no-compete" clause after terminating a scholarship ..then you are treating them as employees.

Where is the reciprocal which states that a coach leaving an institution must sit out a year and his employment options have to be green-lighted by his former employer??

Coaches jump ship willy-nilly lying to prospective recruits and commits while on their way out the door....and there are no consequences. They do this while their salaries range from hundreds of thousands ....to millions of dollars.

The players like the coaches aren't forced to participate in college football. If they don't like the rules or how things go they can go play or coach in the CFL.
That statement is most disingenuous. It is the same one used by the NCAA and it's affiliates to keep the system intact and the kids.... trapped. They say this because they know that there is NOWHERE else for them to go.

Here's a question, how many of our student athletes or those at most schools would be at said university without relaxed admissions?

I wouldn't say slaves. But it's hypocritical as **** that when coaches, mostly white can go wherever they want to, while getting paid, without penalty. While the players, mostly black can't transfer without a stiff penalty. If a coach leaves or is fired the kids he recruited and signed should be able to leave that school without penalty that off season. Would you say the NCAA is completely on the up and up after they tried to fck us by doing unethical sht in our investigation, while nothing happens to the Bamas of the world....fck outta hea.

Except for nothing you said is true. If a coach leaves a school on his own he has to pay the school to leave. Last time I checked players are not paying the college to leave. Your take a the race just shows your racial prejudice because it has nothing to do with what are you complaining about.

You sign a scholarship with the school and not the coach. My wife was a D1 athlete and it saved her over $200,000 and the chance to travel all over the country. I would say that is a pretty good deal. There is nothing wrong with blocking transfers to players wanting to go to rivals, follow coaches or schools that are actively recruiting them. The players like the coaches aren't forced to participate in college football. If they don't like the rules or how things go they can go play or coach in the CFL.

Just another white dude saying everything is ok as it is...The whole system gives the athlete no power. The NCAA is fair right? Did they not try to ***** Miami while letting other programs do all kinds of illegal sht that we all know about? No offense but your wife should not be brought into this conversation. How many millions of dollars did she make the school she attended? Actually her sport lost money for the school. The football and to a lesser degree basketball programs at these big schools pay for all the other sports and make the schools tons of money. How much do these millionaire coaches have to pay back to the school when they leave exactly? Whatever amount it may be, I'm sure the millions they get from the next school pays for it.

It's not about race Sir. Its about the hypocrisy that is the NCAA.

Advertisement

Just another white dude saying everything is ok as it is...The whole system gives the athlete no power. The NCAA is fair right? Did they not try to ***** Miami while letting other programs do all kinds of illegal sht that we all know about? No offense but your wife should not be brought into this conversation. How many millions of dollars did she make the school she attended? Actually her sport lost money for the school. The football and to a lesser degree basketball programs at these big schools pay for all the other sports and make the schools tons of money. How much do these millionaire coaches have to pay back to the school when they leave exactly? Whatever amount it may be, I'm sure the millions they get from the next school pays for it.

It's not about race Sir. Its about the hypocrisy that is the NCAA.

You are arguing different points. My race and how the NCAA treats Miami has nothing to do with fairness to players. As far as players making money for the school those players that do make money for the school are typically rewarded afterwards when they go pro. I would wager my wife made just as much money for the school as any football player that doesn't see the field. Title IX states the school must spend the same scholarship money on both males and females. If you don't like that then write your congressmen.

When a coach leaves a school and is under contract the buyout is typically several million, which he usually gets his new employer to pay. The school could have him sign some type of non-compete clause but no coach would agree to that. Coaching is a job, playing football is not.

Under your scenario our players could transfer to UGA to play with Coley or perhaps if there were not rules around transfers maybe Elder and Coley could finish out at Alabama. A NCAA where this could happen would be a bad one because it would make schools less competitive which would mean football would make less money and less players would get scholarships.

Last the most schools a player transfers to the less likely they are to graduate. The rule forcing players to sit out a year is one of the best rules in CFB. If a team doesn't renew his scholarship I think the player should have a open options of where he goes except under certain circumstances. If a player request a transfer then I have no problem the school telling the player where he can and can not go.

I’m sorry, what?

I just read this article, he is gonna look bad for not allowing Miami as a school of choice, oh well Smart wont last long anyway

Regardless of this, I think it's ridiculous that a school can choose not to renew your scholarship, without restriction, after any season. But a player can't choose to leave on his own, without restriction, if the school chooses?

Seems very one-sided.

Advertisement
Regardless of this, I think it's ridiculous that a school can choose not to renew your scholarship, without restriction, after any season. But a player can't choose to leave on his own, without restriction, if the school chooses?

Seems very one-sided.

Very one sided. But you can't get some people to see that because they are firmly entrenched in what they believe. Even if you're right and make valid points they will never see it for what it is.

Last edited:
I don't really have a problem with a school restricting a player from transferring to a rival, in conference school or former coaches team. However, if a college or institution is going to take this stance then they should pay the full scholarship for the student athlete to remain at that university until graduation or pay for each year that the athlete has to sit out and/or until the athlete earns a full scholarship at a non competing D1 school. By doing it this way, the school would be held responsible for their share of the moral responsibility and obligation of the student athletes education.

Seems very one-sided.

Very one sided. But you can't get some people to see that because they are firmly entrenched in what they believe. Even if you're right and make valid points they will never see it for what it is.

It is very one-sided, the school has all the power and makes all the money. There is no doubt in my mind these kids should be making MONEY, and a good deal of it, not just getting the so called equivalent in scholarship money when the reality is they are not normal students, their priority is to play football and school comes second, maybe the coaches will not say that, but everyone knows it is true.

Most of these kids do not get the educations they should with that scholarship because of how demanding being a college football player is, especially since the coaches who are doing the demanding are making millions of dollars and they rely on their players to get them that money. There needs to be fundamental changes to the system, it is highly unfair to the players.

With that being said, I do not see a racial component to this, yes many of the coaches are white, and many of the players are black, but correlation does not imply causation. One argument that makes sense to me is that maybe people are not changing the system because of inherent biases when the reality is pretty plain to see.

Also, just as a side note, I find the entire idea of athletes getting paid millions of dollars to play a sport pretty crazy, and I am a big sports fan, it just shows what our society values, athletes making obscene money while our teachers struggle to make ends meet. However, as long as we are paying athletes so much - and the market is dictating the price - than there is no reason college athletes who rake in many many millions should not be paid beyond that of a scholarship.

Advertisement
Nobody is forcing anyone to take the scholarship, and no matter how foul anyone cries, the schools hold all of the bargaining chips. Take the opportunity or don't, nothing is going to change. The likely other solution is the removal of scholarships sports all together, and I am willing to bet when that day comes we will wonder why we took an avenue for people who don't qualify academically, or have the finances for education away from them as opposed to celebrating an end to the great injustice.

It isn't about being entrenched in your ways, it is about understanding that the college HAS to be the beneficiary if they are going to offer this in the first place. There is only so much that can be negotiated on behalf of a handful of individuals in any given athletic department before the schools throws their hands up in the air and says **** it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seems very one-sided.

It is very one-sided, the school has all the power and makes all the money. There is no doubt in my mind these kids should be making MONEY, and a good deal of it, not just getting the so called equivalent in scholarship money when the reality is they are not normal students, their priority is to play football and school comes second, maybe the coaches will not say that, but everyone knows it is true.

Most of these kids do not get the educations they should with that scholarship because of how demanding being a college football player is, especially since the coaches who are doing the demanding are making millions of dollars and they rely on their players to get them that money. There needs to be fundamental changes to the system, it is highly unfair to the players.

With that being said, I do not see a racial component to this, yes many of the coaches are white, and many of the players are black, but correlation does not imply causation. One argument that makes sense to me is that maybe people are not changing the system because of inherent biases when the reality is pretty plain to see.

Also, just as a side note, I find the entire idea of athletes getting paid millions of dollars to play a sport pretty crazy, and I am a big sports fan, it just shows what our society values, athletes making obscene money while our teachers struggle to make ends meet. However, as long as we are paying athletes so much - and the market is dictating the price - than there is no reason college athletes who rake in many many millions should not be paid beyond that of a scholarship.

It may not be exactly racial but it is exactly exploitation because it affects student athletes of all ethnicity's. The unpopular example that one poster used was "slavery" which is an accurate example but only to exploitation. The system of slavery exploited blacks with free labor in this country for hundreds of years before they were eventually freed. However, the slaves were not freed on any morality basis because many of the congressional officials were in fact slave owners themselves. They ultimately signed the documents only because they wanted to keep this Union in tact. The same as this country exploited blacks through slave labor yesterday, the same is being done today with student athletes of all ethnicity's. A lot of people don't like to deal with slavery because it is a very ugly history in this country. But the system of exploitation has come full circle and is affecting every student athlete regardless of race or gender. And it will not change because the NCAA will someday fell like they have some moral responsibility. Like during the times of slavery, it will only change when the NCAA is in a position where they know that the whole system will be destroyed if they don't change.

Last edited:
Why is it that high school players can't go directly to the NFL or NBA? Is there a waiting period for turning pro after high school for the sports that aren't dominated by black athletes? These kids could actually be drafted and die for their country at that age but they can't play pro sports....really...seriously. Going to the NFL out of high school would be tough I know. But there isn't even an option.

Advertisement
Why is it that high school players can't go directly to the NFL or NBA? Is there a waiting period for turning pro after high school for the sports that aren't dominated by black athletes? These kids could actually be drafted and die for their country at that age but they can't play pro sports....really...seriously. Going to the NFL out of high school would be tough I know. But there isn't even an option.

You already know the answer. The other sports don't generate the billions of dollars in revenue for colleges and university's. If boxing was a popular sport in high school and college, Floyd Mayweather would have had to go to college before turning pro.

Last edited:
kirby smarts pettiness has reached tiger country

i live in baton rouge, and all the local sports channels talk about is LSU football and the occasional SEC talk

and they were talking about how petty it is for kirby smart to block the transfer of UGA Players to miami

they even called him a scumbag, it was pretty cool

The thing is let dudes transfer wherever the **** they want to. If you have to play vs them so ****** be it. If you notice most of the time the good players are not transferring unless something happens.

A coach can jump up and leave and go where he chooses so can the ad but a "student"/athlete can't leave and go to whatever school they choose.

Advertisement
Back