Live Observations of the U VS. App St. - King, LB's, Press Cover, etc....

I was at the game Saturday night against App St, sitting close to midfield, row 3 close to the field. Some Observations:

1. LB pursuit (mostly Steed & Jennings) - The D-ends did a good job setting the edge. Honestly, textbook technique often, but the issue was the LB's were over pursing the ball carrier. The D end would set the edge, and the RB cut inside and Steed & Jennings were often ahead of the RB, with no chance to stop the momentum and cut back to make the tackle - - If many is the D coordinator, how do these kids not understand leverage & angles? The sideline is your friend as an extra defender of sorts, in addition to our team speed being a plus, to easily limit yards. To me that says many isn't coaching details, bur rather general scheme alone.

2. King looked like **** - Often he would bring the ball down too quick only making one read, sometimes two, then take off as if he's shell shocked. He missed some wide open throws as well, like easy pitch and catch type stuff. If it continues, both backups should get snaps. This frosh class is the best offensive unit we have had in a long time with top QB Jake Garcia, two long outside receivers, one being able to go up and get it and the other is smooth and shifty in Brinson & George, as well as either slot WR or scat back with explosive speed in the mold of tyreek hill-> Brashard Smith. At tight end Arroyo looked impressive seeing him live at the game. Long arms, big athletics frame, already bigger than mallory and had a great block when he was lined up outside. He's much more athletic than Mallory, but Mallory does have really good strait line speed, and should be used running the seem, not 5 yard outs. With this class is our best shot at a national title.

3. Press Coverage - We heard Miami wanted to play press man more as that's Travaris Robinsons style. I didn't see it that much. At times we played closer to the line, but we weren't jamming anyone off the line. everyone had a free run. If they were getting the ball out quick to neutralize our pass rush, why weren't we playing press to take away the quick throws????

4. Bolden & Hall played well coming down hill and tackling.

5. Special teams should a an above average group with all the safety's we have, but as a whole, we are slow to the ball getting up field. This unit needs to pay way more aggressive.

6. Donaldson has been a huge disappointment - In the Bama game, he was aligned as a double blocker with Gainor, looking left, but his head wasn't on a swivel so he could adjust if needed, and sure as ****, the LB on a very slight delay walked right into the backfield. He used to play the other guard spot and excelled. He looks in good shape, but he should be dominating and he's not.

7. Our line looked huge compared to App St, yet, there was no push. It looked like lethargic slowly running in place, pretending to push.

8. Cam hasn't had much help with poor O line play, but none the less, he's had opportunities, and he's dancing way too much. He was never that guy. He's a run down hill guy, and he's not doing it, and looks awful in the process. Hopefully as our bigger backs like cody brown get touches we will see that type of running, which will drastically improve our positioning and play calling as a result.

9. They need to play the guys that produce. If your upper classman, and your not producing well that's your fault not the coaches. Get him out and get someone else reps. It will either light a fire under a kids *** or he will cower, but either way we would be going in the right direction.

10. I liked that we played four Safeties on Third down plays and some other scenarios. We need to get james williams and guys with length on the field. Why wouldn't they give Chase Smith a look at LB?
Idky but our entire defense on a play fake runs with the fake every time it’s really bad

Advertisement
Manny runs a zone scheme. With alot of zone dogs for pressure. We went press late in the game and TS was all over the wr’s. Manny has been too cute his entire coaching career and it’s his rep around cfb.
soft *** zone ish. let them boys press

#52 was a grown man compared to our LBs

Steed looks like a safety out there. Maybe a CB.

which hey we made a living off of being undersized, but if the speed and instincts aren’t there either, then wtf are we doing?
I mean 5'10-5'11 210 Keontra Smith came from not playing lb for 2 years and took the job and looked better than them.
Steed and Jennings are both 5'11-6'0 sub 230 guys....and Flagg is 5'10 235.
We also have guys asking for Chase Smith to be a backer...all 185-190 pounds of him.

Poor recruiting at that spot for years....guys geting bad injuries..and not replacing that with playable guys is what you get currently.

Keep in mind im bias to a LB on the team (cause i know him and his family) but even with him i told guys he would be a play by 3rd year guy because i knew of his size limitations coming in.

Would you guys take APP State's lb group over ours?. Ill say Yes honestly.

I mean 5'10-5'11 210 Keontra Smith came from not playing lb for 2 years and took the job and looked better than them.
We also have guys asking for Chase Smith to be a backer...all 185-190 pounds of him.

Poor recruiting at that spot for years....guys geting bad injuries..and not replacing that with playable guys is what you get currently.

Keep in mind im bias to a LB on the team (cause i know him and his family) but even with him i told guys he would be a play by 3rd year guy because i knew of his size limitations coming in.

I saw #52 make one play before I was like “give me that guy”

im not an X and O guru but you don’t need to be to see how small our guys are

Typically when our LBs tackle someone (I think Flagg made some nice plays and Smith had some flashes of speed) they give up an extra couple of yards it seems every time. There’s no hit and stops, and certainly not many hit and go backwards type collisions

small, bad angles, and not explosive

that’s rough

Games like Saturday night make you realize how much we miss Shaq and Pinckney. There were numerous plays that were successful that would have went for no gain or a loss if they were out there.

Advertisement

Maybe 52..but let not get too carried away lol. Brooks and huffs development is key. I think we have something in 18 also..but huff is mind boggling to me. I see him run down on STs and he clearly has the athleticism..I wonder if it’s a Mix of him not grasping the scheme along with lack of physicality

I saw #52 make one play before I was like “give me that guy”

im not an X and O guru but you don’t need to be to see how small our guys are

Typically when our LBs tackle someone (I think Flagg made some nice plays and Smith had some flashes of speed) they give up an extra couple of yards it seems every time. There’s no hit and stops, and certainly not many hit and go backwards type collisions

small, bad angles, and not explosive

that’s rough
Better than any of our linebackers.

Looks like he was a 2 star RB according to 247

Advertisement
One would think more 2 man under and 1 man under would work with our players. I seen alot of it in 2017. When the opponent used motion, the down safety moved back and the free safety moved down. Redwine and Johnson. Its a joke now we have all these complications causing busted coverages.

The good news is that there are some unforeseen things that have happened that will force Manny and Lashlee to either make changes and save their jobs..or not make changes and get fired or be in the Hottest of seats in the offseason.

Chaney being out for the year and Knighton being unavailable for 3 more games just might force Lashlee to open up the offense and stop all this Power RPO crap or whatever the **** it is we run. I expect to see King throw the ball at least 40 times on Saturday. Which could jump start his confidence. He needs a confidence building game. In a BIG way.

KSmith being out for 4 games might finally force Manny to make some adjustments to the defense seeing that we are operating with only 3 LBs. Two of them are below average and one is average. Having really poor LB play will almost certainly force him back to drawing board in regards to changing a few things around.

Advertisement
Worst LB play I've ever seen here. Terrible would be an improvement.
I agree. Which is why we probably try to blitz their asses so much. I've coached that type of kid in High School. The kind of kid that's athletic as ****, can run like the wind and hit like a Mack truck, but couldn't find a **** football at the Wilson Football Factory. Basically, the theory is, "If you want them to be in a certain gap, then blitz them there and hopefully they will run into somebody with the ball, because post snap, they're always over running ****, or going the wrong way. They are as lost as a hooker at Sunday school. Crazy to say it, but this shouldn't be a problem at a P5 program with the LB history of Miami. Maybe we have been recruiting too many athletes that were edge rushers in HS, trying to convert them to be LBs, and maybe not enough time recruiting good athletes that are actually LBs. IDK. Some can make the switch, some can't. Whatever the issue is, the obvious statement is that this staff has failed to recruit enough adequate LB's, which is why we see **** like this game after game.

Excellent thread, OP. I agree with you point by point.

Unless he is blitzing, Steed is usually a minus. And neither Steed nor Jennings are capably playing the run. Upsetting to see Keontra out, but hopefully he is back and able to contribute by the UNC game.

I was at the stadium pointing out (too many) RPO mistakes by King as they were happening (often handing off when he should throw or run) and his happy feet in the pocket, and I could not help but wonder whether there is some fear/distrust/anxiety with the knee. Probably his worst game as a Cane.

Cam is another one with happy feet in the backfield. I even saw him stutter step on a lead block at one point and miss his man. With his size and speed, if he was an aggressive, one-cut type of back he would be far more effective.

I was saying before the game that App State's line was smallish, I saw them live and they looked smallish, but then the game started and we struggled to move them off the LOS.

Other people have commented on it, but that soft zone coverage we keep playing behind our blitzes (often coming from two levels of the defense) is just disjointed. Any QB worth a d@mn (and I mentioned before the game that Brice had looked solid against ECU) seems to be able to get the ball out into these uncovered openings in our secondary.

Bolden was pretty solid. Hall struggles badly in coverage and only seems confident when he is moving towards the LOS.

I couldn't believe App State return a KO for a TD on us. And that Blades couldn't catch him down the sideline was even more embarrassing as a Cane.

Onward and upward, I guess. On the positive, Smith looked possessed at WR, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Rambo get in Donaldson's face after he (lazily) missed a block.
I agree with all you said, man. The bolded part is a lil different tho. I heard that dude has 10.2 100m speed. Blades won't EVER catch a dude that can put up that kind of number. Maybe we should have recruited his ***! :ROFLMAO:

Advertisement

YES. Michigan State's too.

I'm just gonna smoke a joint and lace it with pixie dust and make a wish for a couple LB'ers. Make another run at Tolan, Jackson et al. Promise them big NIL endorsement, 2 starting positions open and the best men win regardless of class.

Huff looks like an alien in practice so not seeing him catch on is upsetting. He’s listed as second string this week so maybe he gets his first real play time

Advertisement
Back