Live Observations of the U VS. App St. - King, LB's, Press Cover, etc....

m-vac

Recruit
I was at the game Saturday night against App St, sitting close to midfield, row 3 close to the field. Some Observations:

1. LB pursuit (mostly Steed & Jennings) - The D-ends did a good job setting the edge. Honestly, textbook technique often, but the issue was the LB's were over pursing the ball carrier. The D end would set the edge, and the RB cut inside and Steed & Jennings were often ahead of the RB, with no chance to stop the momentum and cut back to make the tackle - - If many is the D coordinator, how do these kids not understand leverage & angles? The sideline is your friend as an extra defender of sorts, in addition to our team speed being a plus, to easily limit yards. To me that says many isn't coaching details, bur rather general scheme alone.

2. King looked like **** - Often he would bring the ball down too quick only making one read, sometimes two, then take off as if he's shell shocked. He missed some wide open throws as well, like easy pitch and catch type stuff. If it continues, both backups should get snaps. This frosh class is the best offensive unit we have had in a long time with top QB Jake Garcia, two long outside receivers, one being able to go up and get it and the other is smooth and shifty in Brinson & George, as well as either slot WR or scat back with explosive speed in the mold of tyreek hill-> Brashard Smith. At tight end Arroyo looked impressive seeing him live at the game. Long arms, big athletics frame, already bigger than mallory and had a great block when he was lined up outside. He's much more athletic than Mallory, but Mallory does have really good strait line speed, and should be used running the seem, not 5 yard outs. With this class is our best shot at a national title.

3. Press Coverage - We heard Miami wanted to play press man more as that's Travaris Robinsons style. I didn't see it that much. At times we played closer to the line, but we weren't jamming anyone off the line. everyone had a free run. If they were getting the ball out quick to neutralize our pass rush, why weren't we playing press to take away the quick throws????

4. Bolden & Hall played well coming down hill and tackling.

5. Special teams should a an above average group with all the safety's we have, but as a whole, we are slow to the ball getting up field. This unit needs to pay way more aggressive.

6. Donaldson has been a huge disappointment - In the Bama game, he was aligned as a double blocker with Gainor, looking left, but his head wasn't on a swivel so he could adjust if needed, and sure as ****, the LB on a very slight delay walked right into the backfield. He used to play the other guard spot and excelled. He looks in good shape, but he should be dominating and he's not.

7. Our line looked huge compared to App St, yet, there was no push. It looked like lethargic slowly running in place, pretending to push.

8. Cam hasn't had much help with poor O line play, but none the less, he's had opportunities, and he's dancing way too much. He was never that guy. He's a run down hill guy, and he's not doing it, and looks awful in the process. Hopefully as our bigger backs like cody brown get touches we will see that type of running, which will drastically improve our positioning and play calling as a result.

9. They need to play the guys that produce. If your upper classman, and your not producing well that's your fault not the coaches. Get him out and get someone else reps. It will either light a fire under a kids *** or he will cower, but either way we would be going in the right direction.

10. I liked that we played four Safeties on Third down plays and some other scenarios. We need to get james williams and guys with length on the field. Why wouldn't they give Chase Smith a look at LB?

Advertisement
belly flop.gif

Advertisement
OP, thanks for calling out Jennings and Steed and not Flagg. Buddy gets alot of hate on here but he is trying to hold down a fort by himself that is **** near impossible to hold down.

I am trying to do my best to give King the benefit of the doubt here but he needs a huge bounce back game against MSU. His first two games have been underwhelming. Maybe its the offensive scheme?

Bolden and Hall are big time tacklers. Concerned neither has an interception yet. Its still early.

Its all on Cam at this point. We got nobody else until Knighton is back against UNC.

Advertisement
That's the most confusing part of him being DC. He had his faults back then as DC but we played more aggressive in the back end. I researched the lsu game and we played a ton of press coverage and now he's not doing it. Makes no sense
I don’t think we have confidence that we have man coverage corners..and can we get home with 4 on a straight rush

OP, thanks for calling out Jennings and Steed and not Flagg. Buddy gets alot of hate on here but he is trying to hold down a fort by himself that is **** near impossible to hold down.

I am trying to do my best to give King the benefit of the doubt here but he needs a huge bounce back game against MSU. His first two games have been underwhelming. Maybe its the offensive scheme?

Bolden and Hall are big time tacklers. Concerned neither has an interception yet. Its still early.

Its all on Cam at this point. We got nobody else until Knighton is back against UNC.
Agreed - Bolden and hall are big time tacklers, and Bolden has visibly put on a lot of size. He's been solid in pass coverage, but that's been the disappointing aspect of Hall's game. He's either lost in coverage or late. He lacks instinct in that regard. Thats why Kitchens reminds me most of Ed reed, his size as well as his instincts. He can lay wood on guys, but he just has a nose to make plays.

I don’t think we have confidence that we have man coverage corners..and can we get home with 4 on a straight rush
You could be right. Maybe they aren't seeing it in practice. The coach teaches that style of play. The thing is, if you trust your safeties and its one of the best positions skill wise on the team, and their O is getting off somewhat quick throws, you cant sit back and let them pick you apart. Why not throw in hard press coverage here and there at least, while playing safe with safeties up top.

Advertisement
Manny runs a zone scheme. With alot of zone dogs for pressure. We went press late in the game and TS was all over the wr’s. Manny has been too cute his entire coaching career and it’s his rep around cfb.

My bud and I were chatting a lot about Cam at the game. He is moving laterally way too much. He should be a downhill guy as you say. It's like the guy thinks he's prime Leveon Bell waiting for blockers that never come. He's frustrating me. When he gets momentum, he's a tough runner. But when he's dancing around laterally, he goes down easily.

Advertisement
I think Stevenson and couch can at least some of the time. I don't think Ivey and blades can. And that's why we played soft last year.

Ivey literally plays BETTER when he can get physical. Dude is a big corner with decent recovery speed, but he can't jam these scrawny *** wide outs? He was bigger than majority of Bama receivers and I can't remember one play where we he was even allowed to Jam.

Manny runs a zone scheme. With alot of zone dogs for pressure. We went press late in the game and TS was all over the wr’s. Manny has been too cute his entire coaching career and it’s his rep around cfb.
Do you see anything that we changed in Manny's d? I thought we'd see shoops influence on defense some. I know he runs alot of creative zone blitzes but I haven't seen anything implemented yet. I thought trob would've got Manny to play more press man. Instead it looks more of the same. We at least played a decent amount of press man in 17-18

Advertisement
Back