Live Observations of the U VS. App St. - King, LB's, Press Cover, etc....

Excellent thread, OP. I agree with you point by point.

Unless he is blitzing, Steed is usually a minus. And neither Steed nor Jennings are capably playing the run. Upsetting to see Keontra out, but hopefully he is back and able to contribute by the UNC game.

I was at the stadium pointing out (too many) RPO mistakes by King as they were happening (often handing off when he should throw or run) and his happy feet in the pocket, and I could not help but wonder whether there is some fear/distrust/anxiety with the knee. Probably his worst game as a Cane.

Cam is another one with happy feet in the backfield. I even saw him stutter step on a lead block at one point and miss his man. With his size and speed, if he was an aggressive, one-cut type of back he would be far more effective.

I was saying before the game that App State's line was smallish, I saw them live and they looked smallish, but then the game started and we struggled to move them off the LOS.

Other people have commented on it, but that soft zone coverage we keep playing behind our blitzes (often coming from two levels of the defense) is just disjointed. Any QB worth a d@mn (and I mentioned before the game that Brice had looked solid against ECU) seems to be able to get the ball out into these uncovered openings in our secondary.

Bolden was pretty solid. Hall struggles badly in coverage and only seems confident when he is moving towards the LOS.

I couldn't believe App State return a KO for a TD on us. And that Blades couldn't catch him down the sideline was even more embarrassing as a Cane.

Onward and upward, I guess. On the positive, Smith looked possessed at WR, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Rambo get in Donaldson's face after he (lazily) missed a block.

Advertisement
Did we do something differently on the TD by Bama? The 90+ yard one?

I ask because I don’t remember and sometimes we get guilty of demanding things from the coaches but don’t notice it biting us in the *** sometimes (playing younger players comes to mind too)

not to get into that kind of debate but just can’t remember if that was an outright bust or if we tried something different and paid the price
Pretty sure that was a bust , I won’t watch the replay though lol

Last edited:
King looked bad saturday for sure, there were some drops, 2 by Harley that were 1st downs and 1 by Mallory that could've made him look better.
Dont get me started on Mallory. Folks gonna dig up posts where I said he would have a breakout year and be a Day 2 pick in the draft. This fool is playing like he wants to hang around for a 6th year! Smh. I dont know what is wrong with Mallory but I hope he snaps out of it. We need him.

Advertisement
Excellent thread, OP. I agree with you point by point.

Unless he is blitzing, Steed is usually a minus. And neither Steed nor Jennings are capably playing the run. Upsetting to see Keontra out, but hopefully he is back and able to contribute by the UNC game.

I was at the stadium pointing out (too many) RPO mistakes by King as they were happening (often handing off when he should throw or run) and his happy feet in the pocket, and I could not help but wonder whether there is some fear/distrust/anxiety with the knee. Probably his worst game as a Cane.

Cam is another one with happy feet in the backfield. I even saw him stutter step on a lead block at one point and miss his man. With his size and speed, if he was an aggressive, one-cut type of back he would be far more effective.

I was saying before the game that App State's line was smallish, I saw them live and they looked smallish, but then the game started and we struggled to move them off the LOS.

Other people have commented on it, but that soft zone coverage we keep playing behind our blitzes (often coming from two levels of the defense) is just disjointed. Any QB worth a d@mn (and I mentioned before the game that Brice had looked solid against ECU) seems to be able to get the ball out into these uncovered openings in our secondary.

Bolden was pretty solid. Hall struggles badly in coverage and only seems confident when he is moving towards the LOS.

I couldn't believe App State return a KO for a TD on us. And that Blades couldn't catch him down the sideline was even more embarrassing as a Cane.

Onward and upward, I guess. On the positive, Smith looked possessed at WR, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Rambo get in Donaldson's face after he (lazily) missed a block.
Lets not be too hard on our guys here re the KO return blunder... I said in another thread that I think they didnt respect that the KOR was a legit 10.1 100M sprinter and they had to find out the hard way. Bruce Feldman had him on his "All-Freaks" team back to back years and I aint talkin about Bang Bros or Brazzers either. Should we have played it better? Yes. Am I shocked he dusted us once he had a open seam? No. He would dust every team in the country if he gets a crease. Including Bama.

LB recruiting has ended up being as bad as WR recruiting all those years ago.

It's embarrassing that we are this unathletic, especially considering where they were a couple of years ago. Whoever's fault it is, Manny or Patke, they've butchered it.
This is all on Manny. (And im usually not "that guy" to blame Manny for everything) But for him to sit on his butt all offseason like the King of Camelot and not think we need to hit the portal for help at LB is one reason why he gets so much flack for being a horrible coach and leader of our program. Its inexcusable. We had LBs beating our door down. And he turned his nose up and put his faith in that LB room????? REALLY?? Makes you question alot of things at this moment involving Manny.

Lets not be too hard on our guys here re the KO return blunder... I said in another thread that I think they didnt respect that the KOR was a legit 10.1 100M sprinter and they had to find out the hard way. Bruce Feldman had him on his "All-Freaks" team back to back years and I aint talkin about Bang Bros or Brazzers either. Should we have played it better? Yes. Am I shocked he dusted us once he had a open seam? No. He would dust every team in the country if he gets a crease. Including Bama.

It's fair to point out that the kid is very fast. It's really more a case of what our guys did in the first 35 yards and less about their inability to catch him in the last 50 yards. Carter takes a bad angle at the beginning on the return, and then Blades takes a very bad angle (and it looked to me like Blades didn't really start running until it was too late). Returner even took a little hop step at about our 35 and then put a move on Andy. Blades still couldn't get him. Williams might have done better on the play (and Andy, too, had he forced the returner back inside), but I won't come at two TFs for that (especially a TF kicker). Blades and Carter though...

Advertisement
Im not being hyperbolic when I say this, but remember guys like the Weaver twins, Ken Dangerfield and Darrell McClover, the rarely played, or didn't till like their 5th year in the program, they would be HUGE upgrades over what UM has now.

And that's the thing, were not begging for Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan or Michael Barrow, just give us competent LB play
Im just asking for Howard Clark level Lb play..that is all.

Advertisement
I agree with a lot of what the OP said...but putting most of the blame on Jennings in this case i think is wrong. All the LBs deserve the blame for this.. In fact, Flagg got the big majority of snaps in this past game over Jennings. There is still this weird thing where we have fans that want to blame everyone in the unit besides Flagg. If you pay close attention to Flagg, it ain't pretty.

Snap count-

Flagg: 52
Jennings: 18

Manny runs a zone scheme. With alot of zone dogs for pressure. We went press late in the game and TS was all over the wr’s. Manny has been too cute his entire coaching career and it’s his rep around cfb.
he's a fan. maybe if he actually tackled someone on the college level, he'd be able to teach kids.

I agree with a lot of what the OP said...but putting most of the blame on Jennings in this case i think is wrong. All the LBs deserve the blame for this.. In fact, Flagg got the big majority of snaps in this past game over Jennings. There is still this weird thing where we have fans that want to blame everyone in the unit besides Flagg. If you pay close attention to Flagg, it ain't pretty.

Snap count-

I’m way passed blaming players. It’s year three and we still look like a badly coached teams.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Snap count-

Literally at the snap of the ball ...either our lbs stand still....or they are in full spring to a spot on the field...regardless of that the running back is doing or the ol is trying to do.....Just show that cut up of lb play from last year and you would see just that.

I see people saying we are bigger or were than APP state...right off the bat their LB from looking on tv dwarf the size of our guys...in fact he was much better too #52. Im still mad about not getting a transfer portal LB....Manny Diaz is a terrible evaluator of LB talent and i have been saying it for almost 3-4 years.

Literally at the snap of the ball ...either our lbs stand still....or they are in full spring to a spot on the field...regardless of that the running back is doing or the ol is trying to do.....Just show that cut up of lb play from last year and you would see just that.

I see people saying we are bigger or were than APP state...right off the bat their LB from looking on tv dwarf the size of our guys...in fact he was much better too #52. Im still mad about not getting a transfer portal LB....Manny Diaz is a terrible evaluator of LB talent and i have been saying it for almost 3-4 years.
#52 was a grown man compared to our LBs

Steed looks like a safety out there. Maybe a CB.

which hey we made a living off of being undersized, but if the speed and instincts aren’t there either, then wtf are we doing?

1. I would take out sled, pile on a bunch of people and make the OL push it 100 yds all practice. Make them look left to right like watching a tennis match so they learn to look out for stunts and delayed blitzes.

2. I tried to tell ya'll we needed to play the future, Jake Garcia. King is a wishbone QB and unfortunately not ran anymore. Look to the future and get Garcia in the game. We finally get a big time QB and he playing behind a little boy.

3. LB #$%^&!!! My sister who doesn't watch or know ***** about football would not play Steed and Jennings before Chase Smith.

4. How can you get a James Williams and not have multiple packages for him. LB, S, Hybrid End? Why is the kid standing over there with Harrell.

5. Same with Lenny Taylor! I'm going to literally combust if Coach Lisp trots out Jon Ford before Taylor.

Advertisement
Back