Live Observations of the U VS. App St. - King, LB's, Press Cover, etc....

Advertisement
Do you see anything that we changed in Manny's d? I thought we'd see shoops influence on defense some. I know he runs alot of creative zone blitzes but I haven't seen anything implemented yet. I thought trob would've got Manny to play more press man. Instead it looks more of the same. We at least played a decent amount of press man in 17-18
There’s been a lot changed with sub packages. Multiple strikers and more db’s on the field , which I mentioned in the off-season. Just the man and press is still missing.

Ivey literally plays BETTER when he can get physical.
Yeah that's why I thought he'd have a good season but we still aren't letter him play bump n run but we'll put him in man and let Jameson Williams run past him with a free release. Maybe if we played bump and run our des and lbs could get to the qb. But no let's blitz and play soft zone so the pass rush can't get there.

I was at the game Saturday night against App St, sitting close to midfield, row 3 close to the field. Some Observations:

1. LB pursuit (mostly Steed & Jennings) - The D-ends did a good job setting the edge. Honestly, textbook technique often, but the issue was the LB's were over pursing the ball carrier. The D end would set the edge, and the RB cut inside and Steed & Jennings were often ahead of the RB, with no chance to stop the momentum and cut back to make the tackle - - If many is the D coordinator, how do these kids not understand leverage & angles? The sideline is your friend as an extra defender of sorts, in addition to our team speed being a plus, to easily limit yards. To me that says many isn't coaching details, bur rather general scheme alone.

2. King looked like **** - Often he would bring the ball down too quick only making one read, sometimes two, then take off as if he's shell shocked. He missed some wide open throws as well, like easy pitch and catch type stuff. If it continues, both backups should get snaps. This frosh class is the best offensive unit we have had in a long time with top QB Jake Garcia, two long outside receivers, one being able to go up and get it and the other is smooth and shifty in Brinson & George, as well as either slot WR or scat back with explosive speed in the mold of tyreek hill-> Brashard Smith. At tight end Arroyo looked impressive seeing him live at the game. Long arms, big athletics frame, already bigger than mallory and had a great block when he was lined up outside. He's much more athletic than Mallory, but Mallory does have really good strait line speed, and should be used running the seem, not 5 yard outs. With this class is our best shot at a national title.

3. Press Coverage - We heard Miami wanted to play press man more as that's Travaris Robinsons style. I didn't see it that much. At times we played closer to the line, but we weren't jamming anyone off the line. everyone had a free run. If they were getting the ball out quick to neutralize our pass rush, why weren't we playing press to take away the quick throws????

4. Bolden & Hall played well coming down hill and tackling.

5. Special teams should a an above average group with all the safety's we have, but as a whole, we are slow to the ball getting up field. This unit needs to pay way more aggressive.

6. Donaldson has been a huge disappointment - In the Bama game, he was aligned as a double blocker with Gainor, looking left, but his head wasn't on a swivel so he could adjust if needed, and sure as ****, the LB on a very slight delay walked right into the backfield. He used to play the other guard spot and excelled. He looks in good shape, but he should be dominating and he's not.

7. Our line looked huge compared to App St, yet, there was no push. It looked like lethargic slowly running in place, pretending to push.

8. Cam hasn't had much help with poor O line play, but none the less, he's had opportunities, and he's dancing way too much. He was never that guy. He's a run down hill guy, and he's not doing it, and looks awful in the process. Hopefully as our bigger backs like cody brown get touches we will see that type of running, which will drastically improve our positioning and play calling as a result.

9. They need to play the guys that produce. If your upper classman, and your not producing well that's your fault not the coaches. Get him out and get someone else reps. It will either light a fire under a kids *** or he will cower, but either way we would be going in the right direction.

10. I liked that we played four Safeties on Third down plays and some other scenarios. We need to get james williams and guys with length on the field. Why wouldn't they give Chase Smith a look at LB?

this is the 10 Commandments here of CIS...

Advertisement
There’s been a lot changed with sub packages. Multiple strikers and more db’s on the field , which I mentioned in the off-season. Just the man and press is still missing.
Personnel packages are all fine and dandy I just wanted to see shoop and trobs influence on Manny's scheme. Playing press man, different blitzes etc. I honestly want shoop to be DC. Maybe next year somehow

My bud and I were chatting a lot about Cam at the game. He is moving laterally way too much. He should be a downhill guy as you say. It's like the guy thinks he's prime Leveon Bell waiting for blockers that never come. He's frustrating me. When he gets momentum, he's a tough runner. But when he's dancing around laterally, he goes down easily.
This 10000%...all of us were discussing that pretty much all game..DCj comes in and looks good..then injured...

Advertisement
People were freaking out about the line. I remember a play people bashing Ford when dude literally took on two blockers and Jennings missed so badly he didn’t even slow the RB down
I love that Steed has fought through all those injuries but he is a ST at best here. Jennings should be no where near a D1 2-deep, let alone getting reps. It's sad really and for as aggressive as Manny has been in the portal I'm shocked we didn't add multiple LB's. K. Smith as potential but we were really counting on a 210 converted Striker to be the dominant LB this scheme needs.

I'm not going into full mope mode but ****, how you gonna run that soft *** ***** behind all of your blitzes. Free first downs all game long.
1899, my guy @gogeta4 pointed this out to me awhile ago, we are WAY to reckless upfront, and WAY too cautious on the back end. You can be one or the other defensively in terms of your philosophy, but you can't try and be both

Couple that with subpar linebackers, you really have a defense that is flawed

Advertisement
1899, my guy @gogeta4 pointed this out to me awhile ago, we are WAY to reckless upfront, and WAY too cautious on the back end. You can be one or the other defensively in terms of your philosophy, but you can't try and be both

I've also had a friend telling me that for a couple years. Seeing the alignment issues, tackling issues, and trotting out 44 and 17 just has me confused. You want to give your predictable blitz a chance press the WR.

And the there is this quote from the athletic: “I actually think he played really well (against Appalachian State),” linebackers coach Jon Patke said Monday of Steed. “Coming out of camp, he has looked better than he has since he’s been here as far as his health. He leaned out. He’s running well. So I was super excited to watch him play. I thought he played pretty well when he went into the game.

We are screwed. It's still amateur hour with some of these coaches.

OP, thanks for calling out Jennings and Steed and not Flagg. Buddy gets alot of hate on here but he is trying to hold down a fort by himself that is **** near impossible to hold down.

I am trying to do my best to give King the benefit of the doubt here but he needs a huge bounce back game against MSU. His first two games have been underwhelming. Maybe its the offensive scheme?

Bolden and Hall are big time tacklers. Concerned neither has an interception yet. Its still early.

Its all on Cam at this point. We got nobody else until Knighton is back against UNC.
King looked bad saturday for sure, there were some drops, 2 by Harley that were 1st downs and 1 by Mallory that could've made him look better.

I've also had a friend telling me that for a couple years. Seeing the alignment issues, tackling issues, and trotting out 44 and 17 just has me confused. You want to give your predictable blitz a chance press the WR.

And the there is this quote from the athletic: “I actually think he played really well (against Appalachian State),” linebackers coach Jon Patke said Monday of Steed. “Coming out of camp, he has looked better than he has since he’s been here as far as his health. He leaned out. He’s running well. So I was super excited to watch him play. I thought he played pretty well when he went into the game.

We are screwed. It's still amateur hour with some of these coaches.

Im not being hyperbolic when I say this, but remember guys like the Weaver twins, Ken Dangerfield and Darrell McClover, the rarely played, or didn't till like their 5th year in the program, they would be HUGE upgrades over what UM has now.

And that's the thing, were not begging for Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan or Michael Barrow, just give us competent LB play

Advertisement
Im not being hyperbolic when I say this, but remember guys like the Weaver twins, Ken Dangerfield and Darrell McClover, the rarely played, or didn't till like their 5th year in the program, they would be HUGE upgrades over what UM has now.

And that's the thing, were not begging for Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan or Michael Barrow, just give us competent LB play
It's hard to believe we can't find two competent LBs to roll out there.

I was at the game Saturday night against App St, sitting close to midfield, row 3 close to the field. Some Observations:

1. LB pursuit (mostly Steed & Jennings) - The D-ends did a good job setting the edge. Honestly, textbook technique often, but the issue was the LB's were over pursing the ball carrier. The D end would set the edge, and the RB cut inside and Steed & Jennings were often ahead of the RB, with no chance to stop the momentum and cut back to make the tackle - -
Yeah, agreed. Same thing I saw watching it live (haven't watched the replay yet).

This is basically it in a nutshell: Manny is trying to have 100% optimal production at all spots, but it isnt realistic.

Manny wants to shoot the gaps, and basically have defenders in place to create havoc by (DL) getting pressure or (DBs) batting balls, with the burden being on the safeties to have enough range to clean everything up in the pass game and make the tackles in the run game. It is a terrible scheme, and it has been exposed over the past few seasons. .

Despite the ~5 year sample size, Manny is still sticking to the original defense that got him the HC job at Miami instead of remaining a DC or going to Temple as a HC, as he should have.

The scheme itself is not broken, per se: Manny, for all his flaws, understands the defense he is running. And it can work. HOWEVER, if you are not willing to adjust to fit your personnel, or counter what the opposing offense is doing, then your career as a HC is going to be short. Unfortunately, that is where Manny is heading.

Mannys scheme is aggressive up front and passive in the back end. That’s why we rarely get beat deep. Even when it’s man he gives a big cushion or bail technique.
Did we do something differently on the TD by Bama? The 90+ yard one?

I ask because I don’t remember and sometimes we get guilty of demanding things from the coaches but don’t notice it biting us in the *** sometimes (playing younger players comes to mind too)

not to get into that kind of debate but just can’t remember if that was an outright bust or if we tried something different and paid the price

Advertisement
Back