List of problems

I was looking at the US News College Rankings yesterday. I was shocked to see Miami ranked so low - below FSU, Florida, and UGA.

Perhaps this is taking it too far, but maybe in general the school is being run poorly. That reflects a worsening of many of the school’s programs - athletic and academic.

Why is this happening?

I don't know how many times it needs to be said...

US News rankings are MOST EASILY AND HEAVILY IMPACTED by the percentage of applicants admitted. "Selectivity".

Florida and Georgia, as states, have growing populations. Florida and Georgia are not exactly creating a bunch of new universities. Therefore, with more applicants (and since UF, F$U, and UGa are inexpensive state schools, and the best state schools in Florida and Georgia), all three schools are benefitting from "increasing" selectivity numbers (i.e., they reject more and more applicants every year).

UM is a RIDICULOUSLY expensive private school. Many applicants choose not to apply to UM because they do not think they will ever be able to pay the tuition. However, Miami DOES get more applications when our football team is winning, because a lot of kids these days want to go to a fun school with successful sports teams. Thus, when Miami football is doing well, Miami is able to increase its "selectivity" index (i.e., reject more applicants) because more people are applying to UM.

It is no coincidence that Miami's academic ranking has been sliding since the mid-2000s.

Some of the academics will not want to admit this, but Miami's academic rankings will benefit from having a winning football team once again.

Advertisement
@DMoney mentioned how Manny is "attuned to analytics." From everything I can see, it seems shaky. I think Manny wants to appear like he's into analytics. Going for a 2-point conversion down 14 near or into the 4th quarter is about the only real life example that stands out in my brain. The rest? It's about as far away from analytics as you can get. We were 89th in plays per game, 90th in yards per play, 130th in 3rd down conversion. We ran a 7 minute grind out drive when an opponent (FIU) was faking injuries to slow us down. So despite any basic metric saying to speed up our approach, we consistently got in plays late to an offense that could barely get going. There is nothing in evidence that backs up analytics-driven behaviors.

This has been very frustrating - and you only have to look at the most basic Analytics to see it.

FIU is Nationally - #6 in Pass Defense - #108 in Run Defense

Our play calling vs FIU:

1st Drive - 2 passes, 2nd is intercepted
2nd Drive - DJ gets a 14 yd 1st down run on the 1st play. Then we call 3 straight passes and punt.

It couldn't be any more obvious that running the ball would be more successful vs FIU (and it was) - but we come out (slowly) with 5 passes, 1 run.

Last edited:

US News rankings are MOST EASILY AND HEAVILY IMPACTED by the percentage of applicants admitted. "Selectivity".

Florida and Georgia, as states, have growing populations. Florida and Georgia are not exactly creating a bunch of new universities. Therefore, with more applicants (and since UF, F$U, and UGa are inexpensive state schools, and the best state schools in Florida and Georgia), all three schools are benefitting from "increasing" selectivity numbers (i.e., they reject more and more applicants every year).

UM is a RIDICULOUSLY expensive private school. Many applicants choose not to apply to UM because they do not think they will ever be able to pay the tuition. However, Miami DOES get more applications when our football team is winning, because a lot of kids these days want to go to a fun school with successful sports teams. Thus, when Miami football is doing well, Miami is able to increase its "selectivity" index (i.e., reject more applicants) because more people are applying to UM.

It is no coincidence that Miami's academic ranking has been sliding since the mid-2000s.

Some of the academics will not want to admit this, but Miami's academic rankings will benefit from having a winning football team once again.

My son is a college freshman. He was extremely interested in UM. He ended up choosing Indiana University. Out of his final schools, dealing with UM was the most frustrating. They need new people handling the recruiting (academic) process. With that said, that wasn't the reason he eliminated UM, but just wanted to mention that during scholarship weekend, we as parents definitely discussed the various issues/difficulties that we were having with UM.

On a positive note, my 9 year old told the tour guide, "I've seen enough, I'm sold!" LOL

If your Manny Diaz this is a pivotal moment in your career.

This will show if he has the knowledge to make the right hires, or at least consult the right people to do so.

Who if you are Manny, do you consult? Former players? Coaches? Jesus?
I'd spend a lot of time asking Jimmy for advice if I were him.

This. I bet LSU is going to see a huge influx of applications over the next year. I bet if you look at Clemson over the last decade you would see a spike in applications when they started winning championships.

Winning doesn't solve everything but it sure does f*cking help.

Advertisement
This. I bet LSU is going to see a huge influx of applications over the next year. I bet if you look at Clemson over the last decade you would see a spike in applications when they started winning championships.

This is true. I remember when I was applying to college my guidance counselor mentioned this exactly. College sports teams doing well on a national stage directly effects the number of applications. Not to mention the money that comes along with winning.

This has been very frustrating - and you only have to look at the most basic Analytics to see it.

FIU is Nationally - #6 in Pass Defense - #108 in Run Defense

Our play calling vs FIU:

1st Drive - 2 passes, 2nd is intercepted
2nd Drive - DJ gets a 14 run 1st down run on the 1st play. Then we call 3 straight passes and punt.

It couldn't be any more obvious that running the ball would be more successful vs FIU (and it was) - but we come out (slowly) with 5 passes, 1 run.

Good point. 4th down and conversion analytics can give a team a win probability edge but when you ignore basic stats that should form the foundation of your gameplan...that's like nibbling on petit-fours without eating the meal.

I was looking at the US News College Rankings yesterday. I was shocked to see Miami ranked so low - below FSU, Florida, and UGA.

Perhaps this is taking it too far, but maybe in general the school is being run poorly. That reflects a worsening of many of the school’s programs - athletic and academic.

Why is this happening?
The entire school is 10 years behind on everything. There is no modernity or sophistication to anything. It's very much a late 90s/early 2000s operation from top to bottom.

In today's CFB landscape, I believe a winning D1 football program no doubt affects recruiting in all areas of the institution. And that's where there seems to be a disconnect between the U admin and what having a winning football program does to enhance many areas of the institution as a whole.

Advertisement

LSU and Clemson are getting a double impact, as their football teams are better AND they are in states which have a growing population.

Having said that, I think that Clemson and LSU have a much larger hill to climb (compared to UF and UGa) when it comes to a top academic ranking.

"...These things we see and keep hearing from players even... "I wasnt too into my playbook," or "So and so is now taking S&C seriously." See imo, these things are being allowed to happen because Manny (and former regimes) allow them to happen.

Best line my former Chief taught me in leading a division - "what you allow, you encourage."

There is still a schism within the program when it comes to offense vs defense. The defense (including Diaz) grew to despise Richt and the offense beginning in 2017. The impact of that divide has probably grown worse since August 24th.

I saw it at the FIU game when Bandy ripped into Jarren and the offense as they sleepwalked off the field after another mindless Jarren INT.

Jarren and N'Kosi are cancers. Tate isn't far behind. They all need to get lost along with Enos, Barry, Stubbs. You can probably throw JT Poor and Nablob Donaldson out with the trash too.

If Miami's QBs next year are Van Dyke, Matocha, Proctor with a new play caller it will inspire some confidence moving forward that perhaps the team won't continue to be split down the middle.

Advertisement
This is true. I remember when I was applying to college my guidance counselor mentioned this exactly. College sports teams doing well on a national stage directly effects the number of applications. Not to mention the money that comes along with winning.
Ain't gonna front - when I was shopping grad schools in 99, UM's football program success and national rankings in academics at my subject matter were big tipping points when considering other schools in Chicago, Cleveland, New York , various Texas & Denver. Harvard of the South, UM CFB and the glam of Miami in general got my stupid *** and now I am F5'ing CIS in hopes of a program changer, lol.

To further reflect on Thomas it’s not fair to say he isn’t good enough. In terms of talent Jeff Thomas IS one of the most gifted receivers in the country however when it comes to skill/extra work on his craft he’s lacking in that area(which is why imo he’s not ready for the nfl). Even with his issues we have to acknowledge he’s still one of the most misused players in the country which is hindering his development(along with his own personal issues).

Frenk took over in August 2015. Eight more miserable months to go...

He's getting the boot?

This is what is kind of troubling for me.

It is expensive. We all agree on this.

If the rankings are heavily impacted by applicants you can have 5 million retards apply who have no shot and jump into the top ten. So essentially it is not based on the level of education you are receiving at the University of Miami but a superficial talking point? Seems absurd.

Also the correlation between winning sports and applications is pretty much scientific fact at this point.....wish the BOT would take notice....

Sigh

Advertisement

How is Miami Law these days? I know it was on an upswing for awhile, but haven't heard much since.

Blake Baker is clueless, he is awful! Poor execution is coaching, we have horrible coaching.
Baker did the best he could. Offense continued to but the defense in compromising positions. Case in point Virginia tech. Florida game ( Jeff Thomas muff) FIU game. I’m sure you get the point so chill on Blake Baker

See the problem is we can see this outside the program but, they don't inside the program.. won't get fixed until we get people who can look at themselves as the problem
It's sad when posters know more than the coaches getting paid.

Advertisement
Back