List of problems

He's getting the boot?

This is what is kind of troubling for me.

It is expensive. We all agree on this.

If the rankings are heavily impacted by applicants you can have 5 million retards apply who have no shot and jump into the top ten. So essentially it is not based on the level of education you are receiving at the University of Miami but a superficial talking point? Seems absurd.

Also the correlation between winning sports and applications is pretty much scientific fact at this point.....wish the BOT would take notice....

Sigh

First, all UM presidents are given 5-year contracts (at least in modern memory, that's how Foote and Shalala were employed).

Shalala went 14 years (she actually left with less than 1 year remaining, since she was working on political stuff).
Foote went 20 years.
Stanford went 19 years.
Pearson went 10 years.
Ashe went 26 years (basically until his death).

I've heard that nobody at UM has the appetite to extend Frenk for another 5 years. He's likely to be UM's first "one-termer".

As for the "selectivity" factor, for a long time, this was a relatively stable characteristic. Most of the top schools were private, or else VERY large state schools, such as Michigan and about 10 Cal schools, so they were not subject to a lot of ups and downs.

UM actually had to do a lot to move up the rankings. Now that US News has muscled out all of the other ranking systems, it's really the only game in town, and they haven't done anything to modify their weighting system. UM actually did a study on this decades ago, and that's why Foote (and then Shalala) put a lot of emphasis on Admissions (such as Foote's creation of President's 100).

I have no idea what Frenk is doing now. His sole focus seems to be the Med School.

Advertisement
You're a ******* tool who thinks he is profound by using the word "slurper".

Manny won't be fired. The players respect him, but there is NO SECOND STRING to allow any sort of accountability.

Manny can fire his assistants, though. When Manny was DC, his unit had results, he got a promotion (even if some will argue it was too much, too soon). There is nothing controversial or "blame" oriented in firing Coordinators who do not produce. Fire Bill Miller, hire Greg Schiano. Nothing new.

You are a buffoon, talking about "they" so that you can pretend to know what the players are thinking. None of the players lack respect for Manny because he was headed to Temple, and those players love the turnover chain (though they would love it more if they got to wear it more).

Your conclusions, as well as your trolling, are obviously stupid and ill-informed. You joined the board right after UM (I'm not going to use the word "we" with you) lost to the Gaytors. You can delete your account now.

"The Old U 2002". What a joke you are. I'm a UM alum from the 80s and 90s, when we could easily survive a few penalties by subbing in the next man up. You are an obvious Gaytor troll running a long con.
You’re a smart dude, but the players don’t respect Manure. If they did, there’s no way they’d humiliate him like they did by no-showing against 3 of the worst FBS teams in the country this year, including the most embarrassing loss in UM history to the guy who wanted the job that Manure got.

Do you grasp how deeply humiliated Manure was shaking Booch’s hand after that abomination? His players flat punked and disgraced him forever the way they laid down for FIU.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said...

US News rankings are MOST EASILY AND HEAVILY IMPACTED by the percentage of applicants admitted. "Selectivity".

Florida and Georgia, as states, have growing populations. Florida and Georgia are not exactly creating a bunch of new universities. Therefore, with more applicants (and since UF, F$U, and UGa are inexpensive state schools, and the best state schools in Florida and Georgia), all three schools are benefitting from "increasing" selectivity numbers (i.e., they reject more and more applicants every year).

UM is a RIDICULOUSLY expensive private school. Many applicants choose not to apply to UM because they do not think they will ever be able to pay the tuition. However, Miami DOES get more applications when our football team is winning, because a lot of kids these days want to go to a fun school with successful sports teams. Thus, when Miami football is doing well, Miami is able to increase its "selectivity" index (i.e., reject more applicants) because more people are applying to UM.

It is no coincidence that Miami's academic ranking has been sliding since the mid-2000s.

Some of the academics will not want to admit this, but Miami's academic rankings will benefit from having a winning football team once again.
Spot on.

First, all UM presidents are given 5-year contracts (at least in modern memory, that's how Foote and Shalala were employed).

Shalala went 14 years (she actually left with less than 1 year remaining, since she was working on political stuff).
Foote went 20 years.
Stanford went 19 years.
Pearson went 10 years.

I've heard that nobody at UM has the appetite to extend Frenk for another 5 years. He's likely to be UM's first "one-termer".

As for the "selectivity" factor, for a long time, this was a relatively stable characteristic. Most of the top schools were private, or else VERY large state schools, such as Michigan and about 10 Cal schools, so they were not subject to a lot of ups and downs.

UM actually had to do a lot to move up the rankings. Now that US News has muscled out all of the other ranking systems, it's really the only game in town, and they haven't done anything to modify their weighting system. UM actually did a study on this decades ago, and that's why Foote (and then Shalala) put a lot of emphasis on Admissions (such as Foote's creation of President's 100).

I have no idea what Frenk is doing now. His sole focus seems to be the Med School.
This has been my impression of his entire presidency. I cannot figure out what he does, if anything. En serio.

How is Miami Law these days? I know it was on an upswing for awhile, but haven't heard much since.

Law school rankings are about where we have been for a long time, #67 according to US News. At least with law school rankings, they take other factors into account, such as bar passage rate and placement stats.

Unfortunately, UM has always been a "national" law school, thus they are not prepping you for the Florida bar the way that UF, F$U, and STETSON will do, so UM's numbers are lower in this area.

F$U is only ranked #48 because so many people apply, and they have so few spots. UM faculty are superior to F$U faculty, but F$U gets to reject more applicants and they have a higher first-time FL bar passage rate.

Sad, but true.

Advertisement
This has been my impression of his entire presidency. I cannot figure out what he does, if anything. En serio.

He has built an impressive throne to sit on during graduation ceremonies.

Beyond that, I can't name a single thing he has done that improves the Business School (the largest undergrad division outside of the amorphous "Arts & Sciences") or the Law School (pound-for-pound, the largest graduate program). I realize that Med and the rest of the Grad School generate more research $$$, but the B-School and the Law School generate wealthy alums who can make donations (eventually).

He has built an impressive throne to sit on during graduation ceremonies.

Beyond that, I can't name a single thing he has done that improves the Business School (the largest undergrad division outside of the amorphous "Arts & Sciences") or the Law School (pound-for-pound, the largest graduate program). I realize that Med and the rest of the Grad School generate more research $$$, but the B-School and the Law School generate wealthy alums who can make donations (eventually).
I was a Canes fan long before, but I am also a Law grad.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said...

US News rankings are MOST EASILY AND HEAVILY IMPACTED by the percentage of applicants admitted. "Selectivity".

Florida and Georgia, as states, have growing populations. Florida and Georgia are not exactly creating a bunch of new universities. Therefore, with more applicants (and since UF, F$U, and UGa are inexpensive state schools, and the best state schools in Florida and Georgia), all three schools are benefitting from "increasing" selectivity numbers (i.e., they reject more and more applicants every year).

UM is a RIDICULOUSLY expensive private school. Many applicants choose not to apply to UM because they do not think they will ever be able to pay the tuition. However, Miami DOES get more applications when our football team is winning, because a lot of kids these days want to go to a fun school with successful sports teams. Thus, when Miami football is doing well, Miami is able to increase its "selectivity" index (i.e., reject more applicants) because more people are applying to UM.

It is no coincidence that Miami's academic ranking has been sliding since the mid-2000s.

Some of the academics will not want to admit this, but Miami's academic rankings will benefit from having a winning football team once again.

yet this doesnt seem to ever drop the ivy league schools below the state ivy’s like UNC.

UM never has been and never will be a top academic school. it will hover around where UGA and Clemson are and in good years up to UF and OSU are.

yet this doesnt seem to ever drop the ivy league schools below the state ivy’s like UNC.

UM never has been and never will be a top academic school. it will hover around where UGA and Clemson are and in good years up to UF and OSU are.
His point didn't have to do with the quality of academics per se. He is talking about rankings, the method of their calculation, and aspects of that calculation that have NOTHING to do with actual academic quality. His point is 100% correct. Those rankings also influence perception.

A quality football program helps to maximize our ranking and perception. It's a win-win that the stuffy suits don't seem to adequately grasp.

Advertisement
Before the season started I knew it was over. First off, Diaz and Jarren threatened to leave. Bich leave this is Dade county. So N'kosi was put on the bench and Richt retired

2nd, we lost the football team big time with the 2 transfers at wr starting over Cager and Hightower. As a head coach why would you bring in 2 wrs to break up our wr core..

3rd, You lost the defense starting punk *** #20 and McCloud. Put Bandy back at nickle and let him roam the field

4th, name me one team in the nation with two 5* Tends, four 4* running backs and at least five 4* wrs... name me one

We suck. So this is a long list. The problem might be as simple as "Manny Diaz and the people who hired him." But someone is going to have to fix these issues, so let's address the specifics:

Lack of discipline. We dropped from 48th to 104th in penalties. We finished with a total score of 41-42 against G5 teams. For comparison, Richt’s UM teams averaged a 43-18 win against G5. Worst of all, Manny was 0-3 coming off byes. The stats show that this team lost focus at every opportunity. Manny might be attuned to analytics, but analytics don’t mean much if your players don’t respect you.

The first change should be accountability. In retrospect, it was a mistake to bring back Jeff Thomas. He’s not good enough and his football character is not good enough. It’s one thing to tolerate a hard-working whoremonger like Michael Irvin. Jeff isn’t that kind of team player. Navaughn Donaldson is another example. He was too fat to play. Pat Riley doesn’t condone that with professionals. Manny shouldn’t condone it with college kids.

This class is critically important because of the high number of early enrollees. If they are ready to play, it gives Manny more leverage to bench underperformers.

Lack of leadership in the QB room. We’ve struggled here since at least 2007. It’s either been criminal issues (Marve and Olsen), discipline issues (Jarren and Kosi) or work ethic issues (Rosier, Jacory, Morris). The only guy who conducted himself like a quarterback was Brad Kaaya. Not coincidentally, he’s also our all-time leading passer.

We can’t rely on Jarren or Kosi. Ideally, Tyler Van Dyke is the real deal and a worker. If there is any doubt in January, bring in a grad transfer to compete. Maybe he comes in with the new OC.

Enos has been a bust. This one is easy. The top 5 teams in yards per play are Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, Clemson and Ohio State. It’s an important stat. Enos finished 90th. Even Richt’s teams averaged 51st, and he was using a playbook from 1992. There is no choice but firing Enos. And since “pro-style offense” has been the common thread through 15 years of failure, it is time for a dedicated spread offense.

The OL stinks. Barry’s OL can’t run block or pass block. They are 113th in yards per rush. They are 112nd in sack percentage. Barry is also struggling to recruit. Signing Day is a week away, and he only has two commits. Barry needs to fired along with Enos.

The Michigan model is our best hope. They were awful in 2017. Harbaugh hired a new coach and developed his young starters. Eventually, they grew into a solid unit. Nelson, Campbell, Gaynor, Clark and Scaife should get better – individually and as a group – with more time in the weight room and more experience. Time will tell how much better they get. There was some really bad film but also flashes of athleticism and toughness.

Donaldson should not play again until he loses at least 25 pounds. Given his knee injury, a full redshirt makes some sense. You can bring him back for the last four games and keep his redshirt. A grad transfer should come in to compete and add depth. Herbert and Hillary are currently unplayable.

No speed in the back 7. Our LBs and DBs were too slow this year. The speed at LB should improve naturally with guys like McCloud, Brooks and Huff. Speed at DB is another story. This class is a disaster. I’ve defended Rumph and Banda in the past because their players developed. But they have been negligent this cycle. This class reminds me of Golden and Shannon’s depth-killing DB classes. That's how you end up starting grad transfers. Manny needs to evaluate that operation from top-to-bottom, with all options on the table.

One thing I’d like us to do is pursue big-time traits out of state. If you can’t get the Tyriques of the world with the total package, find a tough high-ceiling guy and pair him with a high-floor local player. There are plenty of viable DBs in South Florida and you can task your recruiting department with tracking down out-of-state speedsters.

We are too slow to offer. We aren’t good enough to offer kids late. We need to be first and we need to be aggressive. OL recruiting is a perfect example. Everyone down here knew this was a historic OL class in South Florida. But the SEC beat us to the punch and took the best guys. How does LSU offer a Cuban OL before UM? That’s unforgivable. We don’t have a problem dropping guys, so get in early and be aggressive.

Barry is saying the right things about OL traits but he is slow to actually identify those players. For example, I posted about a player named James Pogorelc from Virginia. This was in May 2019 and he still had no offers. His testing numbers were public and his film showed a prototype tackle in the Barry mold—tall (6’7), flexible, coordinated, laterally quick (4.68 shuttle) with great grades. I even sent his name to the staff. We did nothing.

Flash forward seven months. We are still short on tackles, and Pogorelc now has offers from Michigan and Stanford. If we had gotten him on campus in spring or Paradise we could have stolen him. Now, there’s no chance. Given the state of our program, we need to be ahead of the curve.

We need a more consistent run game. Miami finished dead last nationally in power success rate, per Football Outsiders. Some of that is on the OL. But in general, the Enos run game was boom or bust. If Dallas leaves, this becomes a much bigger problem. Harris, Lingard, Chaney and Knighton are big-play backs but they aren't guys who chew up yards between the tackles. Marcus Crowley could prove to be one of the biggest misses from the 2019 class.

One option is adding more of a QB-run dynamic. Trevor Lawrence has run for 407 yards and 7 TDs this year. Lawrence is a better athlete than our QBs, but the difference is slight when you look at testing numbers. Get those guys involved.

We have no proven WRs. One of the most glaring aspects of the FIU and Duke games was that our WRs couldn't separate. Some of that is schematic. But we don't have enough proven playmakers. It would be nice to see athletic workers like Payton and Wiggins step up in the bowl game and carry that into the offseason. We need a couple players to separate from the pack.

We need to get more out of our TEs. This is a first-world problem, but we never got Jordan and Mallory going at the same time. One adjustment I would make is using Mallory more like a flexed receiver. He was in-line too often when they were together and he performed worse than I expected. Throw him some screens and get him running with the ball. Jordan is just as good of a receiver, but he is so much better as a blocker that it makes sense for him to take on the bigger role there.

Add it all up and you have 6-6. The only group I'm comfortable with is DL. We've finished 2nd, 2nd and 7th in sack percentage the last three years and now we are stopping the run. Recruiting is also going well. That's a godsend, because DL is one of the most difficult positions to restock.

The bowl game is irrelevant but also important. The young guys and the OL should be eager to prove themselves. And Manny needs to show that he can keep his players focus when it isn't FSU or Florida week. So far, he's failed spectacularly.
sum all of this up...with not having the proper coaching...bottom line

the issues with the players would be solved EASILY with the right coaching...no doubt

Will the new OC reading between the lines of Dmoney's post, come in and handpick a new OL coach as well?

Advertisement

@IndayArtHauz and @RVACane this Gaytor troll needs to exit the building.

Her schtick is tiring.

His point didn't have to do with the quality of academics per se. He is talking about rankings, the method of their calculation, and aspects of that calculation that have NOTHING to do with actual academic quality. His point is 100% correct. Those rankings also influence perception.

A quality football program helps to maximize our ranking and perception. It's a win-win that the stuffy suits don't seem to adequately grasp.

No need to argue with the Gaytor troll. She knows what she is doing.

Advertisement
Before the season started I knew it was over. First off, Diaz and Jarren threatened to leave. Bich leave this is Dade county. So N'kosi was put on the bench and Richt retired

2nd, we lost the football team big time with the 2 transfers at wr starting over Cager and Hightower. As a head coach why would you bring in 2 wrs to break up our wr core..

3rd, You lost the defense starting punk *** #20 and McCloud. Put Bandy back at nickle and let him roam the field

4th, name me one team in the nation with two 5* Tends, four 4* running backs and at least five 4* wrs... name me one

Bama. They are all 6 stars.

Foote went 20 years.
Stanford went 19 years.
Pearson went 10 years.

Mexico and Latin America. He is very focused on those areas.

Advertisement
Back