Lingard in the Portal

I’m foggy about Tweed on CIS — was he getting into it with other posters? Or just hated on because the player he knew didn’t pan out?

He didn't start anything with any other people, but certain porsters went after him (a) when he was publicly-supportive of whatever decision Lorenzo and Avantae were going to make (i.e., Tweed didn't come here and lie to people by saying that those guys were 100% going to pick Miami), and (b) when Lorenzo and Avantae didn't turn out to be Day 1 starters.

In particular, several posters falsely accused Tweed of being some sort of handler (he was not) who would somehow profit from the recruitments of Lorenzo and Avantae (he did not).

Advertisement
What's the issue with this guy? Why does he have such a hard time seeing the field, with his 5-star talent?

He is a very fast in-line runner. But for football, he tended to run high and upright, and he did not seem to have a lot of moves or elusiveness. He also had a knee injury early in his time at Miami.

In short, the types of things that limit the careers of MANY kids recruited to play college football.

"5-star talent" does not always develop into "5-star football ability at the college and/or NFL level". All one needs to do is review the list of all the 5-star recruits (as rated by Rivals/Scout/ESPN/247) over the past 20 years to find that not all of those guys were drafted into the NFL.

He didn't start anything with any other people, but certain porsters went after him (a) when he was publicly-supportive of whatever decision Lorenzo and Avantae were going to make (i.e., Tweed didn't come here and lie to people by saying that those guys were 100% going to pick Miami), and (b) when Lorenzo and Avantae didn't turn out to be Day 1 starters.

In particular, several posters falsely accused Tweed of being some sort of handler (he was not) who would somehow profit from the recruitments of Lorenzo and Avantae (he did not).
I went to Lorenzo's Dads Barbecue in Orlando before the UM Spring game a few yrs ago....Lorenzo was there serving Barbecue...Father was super nice...

I went to Lorenzo's Dads Barbecue in Orlando before the UM Spring game a few yrs ago....Lorenzo was there serving Barbecue...Father was super nice...

Yes sir, good folks, good fam.

I'll be the first to admit, I had a lot of growing up to do too when I was 18 or 19, but I was a pretty good person before (Eagle Scout) and a pretty good person since (regardless of the law degree)...

Advertisement
My observation: People like their 15 minutes of fame. Other people don’t like people getting their 15 minutes.

When he made the dreaming of Florida comment he became fair game.

CIS has a player hate thread for every player leaving. Lingard likely isn’t getting a pass.

Any perceived handler also gets no pass here…

It’s the way of the board.

I'll openly admit I was optimistic to have a 5 star with his speed. That 64 yard run against Savannah State looked fantastic.

Why anyone would think there's any shame in that is beyond me. Sometimes players don't pan out. It's not like he was a horrible person with a dozen red flags.

I'll openly admit I was optimistic to have a 5 star with his speed. That 64 yard run against Savannah State looked fantastic.

Why anyone would think there's any shame in that is beyond me. Sometimes players don't pan out. It's not like he was a horrible person with a dozen red flags.
Lingard is one of the more shocking busts because usually an elite talent like him busts because of some type of character issues or off field stuff or work ethic. He definitely doesn’t seem to have that.

Maybe he’s not the next Adrian Peterson but you would have thought he would at least be a productive college back

My observation: People like their 15 minutes of fame. Other people don’t like people getting their 15 minutes.

When he made the dreaming of Florida comment he became fair game.

CIS has a player hate thread for every player leaving. Lingard likely isn’t getting a pass.

Any perceived handler also gets no pass here…

It’s the way of the board.

"Fair game"? For WHAT, exactly?

And why do we need any "player hate threads"? Hopefully, they all go on to graduate, which helps UM's APR numbers, and they all go on to productive lives which do not involve them saying horrible things about their time at UM.

And "perceived handler" is ALSO part of the problem. Because PERCEPTIONS in that regard are factually incorrect.

So how about we try to set the record straight and be a bit more kind and forgiving? It IS the holiday season.

Advertisement
"Fair game"? For WHAT, exactly?

And why do we need any "player hate threads"? Hopefully, they all go on to graduate, which helps UM's APR numbers, and they all go on to productive lives which do not involve them saying horrible things about their time at UM.

And "perceived handler" is ALSO part of the problem. Because PERCEPTIONS in that regard are factually incorrect.

So how about we try to set the record straight and be a bit more kind and forgiving? It IS the holiday season.

I’m not against it. I agree there is no need for the player hate threads at all. 100% unnecessary. If it was me, I’d have a portal mega thread and discourage the attacking the players on their way out or at all.

Any player that leaves Miami and says they were dreaming of being a Gator on social media has opened themselves up to being laughed at, told to **** off, etc etc etc. — that is just going to happen. Right or wrong.

There is very little to differentiate someone like Tweed from Fat Moe to the casual observer.

There is very little to differentiate someone like Tweed from Fat Moe to the casual observer.

Casual observers are clueless and never even had any factual basis to put Tweed on Moe's (low) level.

You can trust me on this, I know what the deal was (on both counts). Tweed did NOTHING comparable to what Moe did. NOTHING.

There's no point in transferring at this stage of his football career. Someone needs to have a talk with a lot of these young men and flat out tell them to hit the books as you're going pro in something else. What degree will that be and that's it. If you can get on the field somewhere else and have a comparable degree, I might get on board with that if it were my son.

There's no point in transferring at this stage of his football career. Someone needs to have a talk with a lot of these young men and flat out tell them to hit the books as you're going pro in something else. What degree will that be and that's it. If you can get on the field somewhere else and have a comparable degree, I might get on board with that if it were my son.
Saywhat ........they will then realize ( possibly too late) what a real College Degree is worth, not a NFL dream that in many instances is a fantasy in a wet dream.........

Advertisement

Unless he's transferring to likes of Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, or Vanderbilt for the diploma, it seems like a pointless move for him.

Unless he's transferring to likes of Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, or Vanderbilt for the diploma, it seems like a pointless move for him.

You make a good point, though at this point it's possible that it could be a graduate degree (MBA). I would imagine that he might now have his undergrad degree completed. And, YES, those schools are great for the grad degrees as well.

Given the fact that he had some yardage over the last couple of games in 2022, I'd think he's looking for one last shot to play, and he's probably been told by Slingblade Billy that Etienne and the Louisiana transfer are going to get all the reps next year.

Yes sir, good folks, good fam.

I'll be the first to admit, I had a lot of growing up to do too when I was 18 or 19, but I was a pretty good person before (Eagle Scout) and a pretty good person since (regardless of the law degree)...
Last time we hung out, we should have gone to Stasio's instead of Graffiti Junction though...Lol

Advertisement
I agree with you. But, man, I turn on NFL games and hardly recognize any of the backs getting run. I think sometimes these kids think that if they can get an opportunity somewhere, they can turn that into an NFL career.

Last time we hung out, we should have gone to Stasio's instead of Graffiti Junction though...Lol

ABSOLUTELY. I love that place. Was just in Orlando over Thanksgiving...and my two choices when I was downtown were....do I hit Stasios...or do I double up and get a burger from Bad As's and a couple of slices from John & Johns?

Being that the other two spots are brand new, I chose to bypass Stasios this time.

Bad As's burger - amazing. Australian Wagyu on the burger, and the fries were cooked in beef tallow. Tiny little joint on Curry Ford by Conway, next to a pawn shop.

John & John's - I liked it, but it didn't blow me away. Maybe I need to order a whole pie. I got a white slice and a meat lover's slice. Another tiny spot, but on that Michigan run that includes Tin & Taco, SoDough Pizza, and Gringos Locos.

Don't judge my food orgy, it was just a one-time thing (not counting the actual Thanksgiving meal)...

I agree with you. But, man, I turn on NFL games and hardly recognize any of the backs getting run. I think sometimes these kids think that if they can get an opportunity somewhere, they can turn that into an NFL career.

The psychological/mental aspect is definitely a strong driver. It's not easy having to be that honest about your limitations and prospects at that age, and flies in the face of the mindset of a high-level athlete.

ABSOLUTELY. I love that place. Was just in Orlando over Thanksgiving...and my two choices when I was downtown were....do I hit Stasios...or do I double up and get a burger from Bad As's and a couple of slices from John & Johns?

Being that the other two spots are brand new, I chose to bypass Stasios this time.

Bad As's burger - amazing. Australian Wagyu on the burger, and the fries were cooked in beef tallow. Tiny little joint on Curry Ford by Conway, next to a pawn shop.

John & John's - I liked it, but it didn't blow me away. Maybe I need to order a whole pie. I got a white slice and a meat lover's slice. Another tiny spot, but on that Michigan run that includes Tin & Taco, SoDough Pizza, and Gringos Locos.

Don't judge my food orgy, it was just a one-time thing (not counting the actual Thanksgiving meal)...
Bad *** is elite....so is 7 Bites burger...but Stasio's is my go to..

Advertisement
Back