Linebacker recruiting

What is it with you and these crazy sweeping opinions that you pretend are facts? Lol. Our entire miami tradition on defense has been predicated on turning hs safeties into lbs, hs DEs and TEs into DTs, etc etc. This is what makes us the motherfuc$$$king U ffs.

Our best lbs entered college at 195lbs. There is no earthly reason that carter couldn't follow in the footsteps of spence, grace, vilma, and the Bermuda triangle.

Grace is now one of our 'best lbs'? :eek:

Spence was a true lb, instinctive, played the position forever.

Barrow, Armstead, Vilma? Come on. You're comparing random backup safeties to some of the best LBs ever.

This whole discussion is insane.

very insane...and their basing it off of weight and measurables nothing else...Which is why i said robert knowles is 6'0 195 why isnt he being moved to lb too??..no nswer

Robert Knowles is straight trash and shouldn't be on the team next yr. that's why no one gives a **** about Knowles.

Obviously none of our current safeties are going to play LB this yr. but in the offseason one of them can definitely put on some weight and make the move. You acting like it's impossible it the insane thing imo, as if safeties haven't been switched to LBs before

happens some. When's the last time one of ours have though?.

Just put on the weight and make the move...Do it with Robert Knowles then since its that easy.
Carter looks solid in the box...but i think he should stay on the back end at safety. Dont know if his frame will allow for 20 more pounds and keeping some athleticism. Other than him i dont see anyone else that canis what im saying....how bout to solve the lb talent..recruit Linebackers that can play. Not hoping to move random *** safeties around for the **** of it.

Robert Knowles is straight trash. It doesn't matter what position he plays, so what would be the point in moving him to LB?. Dude won't even be on the team next year so don't use him as an example. The point is Carter has been an in the box safety. Its not like we are talking about putting Ed Reed at LB, dude is a box SS all the way. From there it's not that crazy of a position switch.

....and I agree with you on the main point. Recruit 2 LBs in this class, and then hopefully the 3 from last year step up also. But if we do need a LB next year, I think Carter is a great candidate to make the switch.

Honestly though, I think everyone is really over reacting about the LB situation. We got 3 LBs two years ago and they were all beasts. We got 3 LBs last year, and they were talented coming out of HS. Not everyone makes an impact as a true frosh. And next years class is absolutely stacked at LB. SO, get 2 guys this year between Joyner, Rosendo Louis, Abdullah, and Bonnito. Doesn't look like we have a chance at Louis, so not really a point in discussing him. Joyner is clearly our top target, and we definitely have a chance, so I see no problem with continuing to go for our top target. I think the only problem is we haven't offered Abdullah yet ( Id rather have Abdullah than Bonnito). But if we don't get Joyner, then I think Bonnito should be next in line. Abdullah should be in this class regardless imo.

Plan A: Louis, Joyner, and Abdullah
Plan B: Joyner and Abdullah
Plan C: Abdullah and Bonnito.
Plan D: Only get 1 LB (Bonnito or Abdullah) so we move Carter to LB.

thats how I look at it.

Advertisement
Were not striving to be IOWA State.

Ray Ray was more physical than Amari Carter and much bigger..at times Ray Ray was over 225 here. He was always cutting weight to be a safety. That being said it has taken him almost 3 years to be a servicable NFL linebacker.

Amari Carter is a safety bro..yall need to chill. Nothing he has shown anybody says hes a lb at all

What is it with you and these crazy sweeping opinions that you pretend are facts? Lol. Our entire miami tradition on defense has been predicated on turning hs safeties into lbs, hs DEs and TEs into DTs, etc etc. This is what makes us the motherfuc$$$king U ffs.

Our best lbs entered college at 195lbs. There is no earthly reason that carter couldn't follow in the footsteps of spence, grace, vilma, and the Bermuda triangle.

Barrow, Armstead, Vilma? Come on. You're comparing random backup safeties to some of the best LBs ever.

very insane...and their basing it off of weight and measurables nothing else...Which is why i said robert knowles is 6'0 195 why isnt he being moved to lb too??..no nswer

Robert Knowles is straight trash and shouldn't be on the team next yr. that's why no one gives a **** about Knowles.

Obviously none of our current safeties are going to play LB this yr. but in the offseason one of them can definitely put on some weight and make the move. You acting like it's impossible it the insane thing imo, as if safeties haven't been switched to LBs before
Anghony Chickillo moved to DT, because that happens some, too. Ask him how that worked.

The question isn't whether we 'could' move a S to LB. Of course we 'could.' But why? Why be in that position? This is a recruiting board. It's not a defense of botched LB recruiting that we could just move someone else to LB.

Now maybe they aren't botching it. Maybe they really have a plan here. Time will tell.

All I know is we're supposed to be getting back towards really competing with good teams for conference titlesd then some. To do that, we need depth amd experience, not backup safeties at Lb or no back ups at all at rb.

Anghony Chickillo moved to DT, because that happens some, too. Ask him how that worked.

The question isn't whether we 'could' move a S to LB. Of course we 'could.' But why? Why be in that position? This is a recruiting board. It's not a defense of botched LB recruiting that we could just move someone else to LB.

Now maybe they aren't botching it. Maybe they really have a plan here. Time will tell.

All I know is we're supposed to be getting back towards really competing with good teams for conference titlesd then some. To do that, we need depth amd experience, not backup safeties at Lb or no back ups at all at rb.

lol There's a difference between chick gaining 50lbs and taking all his athleticism away and putting a few pounds on a guy that already is a box safety. Plus moving Carter to Lb could be better for his future for all we know. I think carter could be a beast at lb...certainly better than perry.

lol There's a difference between chick gaining 50lbs and taking all his athleticism away and putting a few pounds on a guy that already is a box safety. Plus moving Carter to Lb could be better for his future for all we know. I think carter could be a beast at lb...certainly better than perry.
A big part of the difference is that Chick was actually good. He was a starter at either posiition. And a future NFL player. So at least he could contribute at the upsized spot. And despute that, no one here was happy about the move. Most fans with a brain saw it for what it was, which was an unfortunate response to a **** depth and talent situation at DT during that tme. That said, you thinking it makes sense to move guys who barely get PT at S to Lb as if that solves a LB situation is silly, imo.

As for carter spcifically, hes a frosh and talented. Hopefully they put him where they think he will do best. And recruit lbs so we arent moving kids because of holes we could have avoided.

Last edited:
Advertisement

A big part of the difference is that Chick was actually good. He was a starter at either posiition. And a future NFL player. So at least he could contribute at the upsized spot. And despute that, no one here was happy about the move. Most fans with a brain saw it for what it was, which was an unfortunate response to a **** depth and talent situation at DT during that tme. That said, you thinking it makes sense to move guys who barely get PT at S to Lb as if that solves a LB situation is silly, imo.

As for carter spcifically, hes a frosh and talented. Hopefully they put him where they think he will do best. And recruit lbs so we arent moving kids because of holes we could have avoided.

My words and thought process exactly. Kid is good...let him learn his safety spot. We dont just need numbers at Lb..we need quality play. Right now Mccloud should be getting pushed OUT of the starting lineup.
Having talent pushing talent should be with THIS class. Not saying oh...two years ago i signed 3, ill take a break one recruiting class, and hope for next class. Our freshman class of lbs for 2017 none of them challenged the 2 deep this go round. I'd like to bring in some guys in this class to challenge. A minimum of 2 lbs...apparently we were looking at taking 1.

My words and thought process exactly. Kid is good...let him learn his safety spot. We dont just need numbers at Lb..we need quality play. Right now Mccloud should be getting pushed OUT of the starting lineup.
Having talent pushing talent should be with THIS class. Not saying oh...two years ago i signed 3, ill take a break one recruiting class, and hope for next class. Our freshman class of lbs for 2017 none of them challenged the 2 deep this go round. I'd like to bring in some guys in this class to challenge. A minimum of 2 lbs...apparently we were looking at taking 1.
Agreed.

Also, there is always a chance that 1-2 of those kids go pro early -- forget talent predictions, they'll have been 3 year starters by 2018, and could well conclude reasonably that they stand to risk more than gain by staying for a fourh year, irrespective of where they are predicted to get drafted. After three seasons, the nfl will know what it needs to know.

Our goal and need is to have a talented LB core with depth in '19-'20, so we dont wind up with hold when we are supposed to be competing for titles. The class we are recruiting for now is the class to focus on for that. We should not be hoping for true frosh starters to pan out all over agan in 2019/20.

Agreed.

Also, there is always a chance that 1-2 of those kids go pro early -- forget talent predictions, they'll have been 3 year starters by 2018, and could well conclude reasonably that they stand to risk more than gain by staying for a fourh year, irrespective of where they are predicted to get drafted. After three seasons, the nfl will know what it needs to know.

Our goal and need is to have a talented LB core with depth in '19-'20, so we dont wind up with hold when we are supposed to be competing for titles. The class we are recruiting for now is the class to focus on for that. We should not be hoping for true frosh starters to pan out all over agan in 2019/20.

I honestly don't even think we are arguing different things. We basically agree. I just think carter could be good at lb, and I'm saying in a worst case scenario, I think moving carter would be a good idea.

I've been saying we should get 2lbs. I wanted Louis, but I don't think we have a chance there. So the 2 I want are Joyner and Abdullah. I just disagree that we NEED 3. You guys have to look ahead at the next recruiting class. We've gotten 6Lbs the last 2yrs. And 2019 is undeniably stacked at LB. so we are obviously going to want to sign 3-4 next yr. now that doesn't mean we ignore lb in this class, but it definitely means you should limit how many/who you take.

It's the same thing that happened at db. We are going to sign 6 this yr (hopefully including Campbell)....and they're all elite. But what that means is the yrbefore and the yr after, you likely won't be getting as big of a db class. You can't just get 6dbs every yr. you gotta plan ahead, and that's what we are doing at lb. this staff just doesn't view Bonnito or abdullah can't miss prospects, so they aren't going hard for them. They do view Joyner that way, and it's why we aren't moving on from him. We aren't ignoring lb this class. We're just trying to be smart with who/how many we offer. Now hopefully by December they will evaluate abdullah as a take because I think he should be. And hopefully we flip Joyner. If we do that I don't see how there's anything to complain about for lb recruiting

Agreed.

I honestly don't even think we are arguing different things. We basically agree. I just think carter could be good at lb, and I'm saying in a worst case scenario, I think moving carter would be a good idea.

I've been saying we should get 2lbs. I wanted Louis, but I don't think we have a chance there. So the 2 I want are Joyner and Abdullah. I just disagree that we NEED 3. You guys have to look ahead at the next recruiting class. We've gotten 6Lbs the last 2yrs. And 2019 is undeniably stacked at LB. so we are obviously going to want to sign 3-4 next yr. now that doesn't mean we ignore lb in this class, but it definitely means you should limit how many/who you take.

It's the same thing that happened at db. We are going to sign 6 this yr (hopefully including Campbell)....and they're all elite. But what that means is the yrbefore and the yr after, you likely won't be getting as big of a db class. You can't just get 6dbs every yr. you gotta plan ahead, and that's what we are doing at lb. this staff just doesn't view Bonnito or abdullah can't miss prospects, so they aren't going hard for them. They do view Joyner that way, and it's why we aren't moving on from him. We aren't ignoring lb this class. We're just trying to be smart with who/how many we offer. Now hopefully by December they will evaluate abdullah as a take because I think he should be. And hopefully we flip Joyner. If we do that I don't see how there's anything to complain about for lb recruiting
I dont know who has said we absolutely need 3. Right now we have zero committed at the spot. And I think you hear some people saying we should sign 2 at least, if we dont want to risk being in a depth hole in a couple years.

You say you're in the same place, but then you excuse our recruitment by saying the staff doesnt see bonitto or abdullah as cant miss kids. That's really irrelevant. They can recruit whoever they want. If they want to recruit other kids, go for it. But they seem to be recruiting like they dont have a need at the spot. That is what some folks are concernd about. And you yourself seem to see the issue with your comments in bold. Hope isnt a strategy.

Advertisement

happens some. When's the last time one of ours have though?

Just put on the weight and make the move...Do it with Robert Knowles then since its that easy.
Carter looks solid in the box...but i think he should stay on the back end at safety. Dont know if his frame will allow for 20 more pounds and keeping some athleticism. Other than him i dont see anyone else that canis what im saying....how bout to solve the lb talent..recruit Linebackers that can play. Not hoping to move random *** safeties around for the **** of it.

Thurston Armbrister

happens some. When's the last time one of ours have though?

Thurston Armbrister

My man Thurst. Who came here above 210 pounds and was ofered by No Frio...meaning he saw him as a LB all the way. Good find though.

Agreed.

I dont know who has said we absolutely need 3. Right now we have zero committed at the spot. And I think you hear some people saying we should sign 2 at least, if we dont want to risk being in a depth hole in a couple years.

You say you're in the same place, but then you excuse our recruitment by saying the staff doesnt see bonitto or abdullah as cant miss kids. That's really irrelevant. They can recruit whoever they want. If they want to recruit other kids, go for it. But they seem to be recruiting like they dont have a need at the spot. That is what some folks are concernd about. And you yourself seem to see the issue with your comments in bold. Hope isnt a strategy.

Bruh I think yall are just being a lil spoiled right now due to all the commits we currently have.

It's only October. Theres still 4 months until NSD in February bruh. It's okay that we don't have a commit at LB yet, its not that bad. and we AREN'T ignoring the position, thats the point. We are going hard after Joyner, who Pete has consistently said is their top target.
And theres nothing telling us that we're never going to offer Abdullah or Bonnito like we did Harley last year. I really don't see the problem with waiting until some of these dudes' senior year is finished before you finish evaulating them (same with Chatfield). its not like we aren't recruiting players. I'll start worrying about this lb class if we don't have a lb commit by the early signing day in december.

Agreed.

Bruh I think yall are just being a lil spoiled right now due to all the commits we currently have.

It's only October. Theres still 4 months until NSD in February bruh. It's okay that we don't have a commit at LB yet, its not that bad. and we AREN'T ignoring the position, thats the point. We are going hard after Joyner, who Pete has consistently said is their top target.
And theres nothing telling us that we're never going to offer Abdullah or Bonnito like we did Harley last year. I really don't see the problem with waiting until some of these dudes' senior year is finished before you finish evaulating them (same with Chatfield). its not like we aren't recruiting players. I'll start worrying about this lb class if we don't have a lb commit by the early signing day in december.
That's not what andrew ivins reported.

And if you think we 'may offer someone later' is much of an explanation for having no commitments at LB (and no one in line to commit either), I guess we will just have to disagree. It's November. The early signing date is weeks away.

Advertisement
Agreed.

And if you think we 'may offer someone later' is much of an explanation for having no commitments at LB (and no one in line to commit either), I guess we will just have to disagree. It's November. The early signing date is weeks away.

I don't give a **** what Andrew Ivins reported. Thats what Peter is saying, so thats all that matters.

I don't give a **** what Andrew Ivins reported. Thats what Peter is saying, so thats all that matters.
Because peter is always right? Or because you are emptionally invested in the hierarchy of UM reporters?

Because peter is always right? Or because you are emptionally invested in the hierarchy of UM reporters?

you really gunna go with what ivins is reporting on this over Pete?

you tripping for real then

Advertisement
Gotta have a min of 2. LBs are the backbone of ST coverage units, first. Second, if you’re only taking 2, you’re again in the “next year is a stacked year; we’ll sign them then” mantra and that’s dangerous for stagger and quality depth as we’ve seen. If you’re gonna hit 2, can’t afford a bad miss.

Gotta have a min of 2. LBs are the backbone of ST coverage units, first. Second, if you’re only taking 2, you’re again in the “next year is a stacked year; we’ll sign them then” mantra and that’s dangerous for stagger and quality depth as we’ve seen. If you’re gonna hit 2, can’t afford a bad miss.

which is what ive BEEN saying. But alot of posters on here are newbies to recruiting...and they continously look to the "Next year is loaded" idea. Quite frankly i dont even look at junior committs unless they are extremely good until around january.

We signed 3 last class...one was injured coming in and is a Shirt candidate...the other 2 are special teamers now with none of them being on the two deep. So moving forward need 2 at a minimum and to hit on them.

In recruiting you need to look ahead. You can't just sign recruits without a gameplan.

What would happen if we signed 6 Dbs last year?
Maybe we wouldn't have enough room to sign the 6 elite Dbs we have this year, or it would have pushed some of them away.

Look we've gotten 6 LBs the last 2 years. Getting 8 LBs in a 3 yr recruiting period is a lot.
We are kinda **** at LB not because of what this staff has done at LB. I mean expecting Freshman LB to been day 1 impact players is tough. We knocked it out of the park with that 2016 class at LB. But **** this 2017 class are true freshman. The problem is our upperclassman backups aren't playing at a high enough level when they sub in. Darrion Owens has stepped it up, and at Least Charles Perry hasn't been a complete liability these past few weeks like he was early in the season....it appears Robert knowles took that from him. But still, perry should still see limited snaps, and Smith is bad too.

which is what ive BEEN saying. But alot of posters on here are newbies to recruiting...and they continously look to the "Next year is loaded" idea. Quite frankly i dont even look at junior committs unless they are extremely good until around january.

We signed 3 last class...one was injured coming in and is a Shirt candidate...the other 2 are special teamers now with none of them being on the two deep. So moving forward need 2 at a minimum and to hit on them.

Bruh they are true freshman. Like I don't know what everyone expects out of these recruits.
In 2016 we get 3 absolute studs. In 2017 we get 3 more really good LB recruits. What else do you want from Richt and this staff?

They aren't ignoring LB recruiting this yr. We just don't have a commit yet, its 4 months till nsd.

Advertisement
Back