Linebacker recruiting

Gotta have a min of 2. LBs are the backbone of ST coverage units, first. Second, if you’re only taking 2, you’re again in the “next year is a stacked year; we’ll sign them then” mantra and that’s dangerous for stagger and quality depth as we’ve seen. If you’re gonna hit 2, can’t afford a bad miss.

which is what ive BEEN saying. But alot of posters on here are newbies to recruiting...and they continously look to the "Next year is loaded" idea. Quite frankly i dont even look at junior committs unless they are extremely good until around january.

We signed 3 last class...one was injured coming in and is a Shirt candidate...the other 2 are special teamers now with none of them being on the two deep. So moving forward need 2 at a minimum and to hit on them.

Bruh they are true freshman. Like I don't know what everyone expects out of these recruits.
In 2016 we get 3 absolute studs. In 2017 we get 3 more really good LB recruits. What else do you want from Richt and this staff?

They aren't ignoring LB recruiting this yr. We just don't have a commit yet, its 4 months till nsd.

4 months until nsd and we have 1 lb on our entire board with him being an FSU commit. I fully expect to sign one..just wondering why our board hsnt been clear since before summer and still isnt. Most of all of our positins recruited have an outlook...except ..LINEBACKER. this is the recruiting board we talk recruiting in here.

They are true freshman no one said anything about them other than what they are. Redshirt and 2 special teamers. Moving forward we should see what we have with them starting with in the spring. The problem at LB isnt the numbers...its the quality. For us to be at the level we need to be and in theis particular scheme we run we need to recruit better players at LB IN MY OPINION. If some of you are cool with what he have so be it....you guy may be more concerned with 2019-2020 classes.

Advertisement
Gotta have a min of 2. LBs are the backbone of ST coverage units, first. Second, if you’re only taking 2, you’re again in the “next year is a stacked year; we’ll sign them then” mantra and that’s dangerous for stagger and quality depth as we’ve seen. If you’re gonna hit 2, can’t afford a bad miss.

which is what ive BEEN saying. But alot of posters on here are newbies to recruiting...and they continously look to the "Next year is loaded" idea. Quite frankly i dont even look at junior committs unless they are extremely good until around january.

We signed 3 last class...one was injured coming in and is a Shirt candidate...the other 2 are special teamers now with none of them being on the two deep. So moving forward need 2 at a minimum and to hit on them.

Bruh they are true freshman. Like I don't know what everyone expects out of these recruits.
In 2016 we get 3 absolute studs. In 2017 we get 3 more really good LB recruits. What else do you want from Richt and this staff?

They aren't ignoring LB recruiting this yr. We just don't have a commit yet, its 4 months till nsd.

4 months until nsd and we have 1 lb on our entire board with him being an FSU commit. I fully expect to sign one..just wondering why our board hsnt been clear since before summer and still isnt. Most of all of our positins recruited have an outlook...except ..LINEBACKER. this is the recruiting board we talk recruiting in here.

They are true freshman no one said anything about them other than what they are. Redshirt and 2 special teamers. Moving forward we should see what we have with them starting with in the spring. The problem at LB isnt the numbers...its the quality. For us to be at the level we need to be and in theis particular scheme we run we need to recruit better players at LB IN MY OPINION. If some of you are cool with what he have so be it....you guy may be more concerned with 2019-2020 classes.

yeah it is the quality thats the problem, but we aren't going to solve that by oversigning in this 2018 class and ******** us in the 2019 class which is by all accounts better.

and we do have a board. Joyner is on top of it. The staff is evaluating Abdullah and Bonnito and likely a few other people we don't hear about. I just trust we will have a clearer picture of the LB board come December and by february we will have our 2 LBs.

Using the argument that lbs are essential for special teams is old fashioned thinking. Nowadays, tons of other positions are used for special teams like safeties, cbs, Des, wrs, rbs, and TEs. Homer and Walton are our best special teamers. Derrick smith and Jon garvin are making bigtime hits. It's a new world now.

Like I've said before, lb recruiting is pretty much the least of our concerns now. We need an ot, a couple des, a couple dts, and another db to round the class out. We'll also have room for a lb or another db if we want.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So, random thread that I’ll post this. Richt and Manny’s process for recruiting is terrible because, if the position coach isn’t interested, it stops dead there. Imagine you’re on the staff and you LOVE a kids video/game and you go to said coach. That coach is LAZY or just doesn’t see it.... DOA
I can’t tell you how often a coach decides to focus on the EASIER GET. It’s sad, true and the reality of college football. It’s why a guy like Butch killed it on the trail. He loved to sell and close kids. Most coaches want to be home watching reruns of the Big Bang Theory. It’s an insane amount of time and work it takes to build a relationship with a kid that isn’t making you a priority. Shortest distance between two points for most. Similar to the guys on this site who complain a lot, but won’t read this post, because it take too long.

Last edited:
So, random thread that I’ll post this. Richt and Manny’s process for recruiting is terrible because, if the position coach isn’t interested, it stops dead there. Imagine you’re on the staff and you LOVE a kids video/game and you go to said coach. That coach is LAZY or just doesn’t see it.... DOA
I can’t tell you how often a coach decides to focus on the EASIER GET. It’s sad, true and the reality of college football. It’s why a guy like Butch killed it on the trail. He loved to sell and close kids. Most coaches want to be home watching reruns of the Big Bang Theory. It’s an insane amount of time and work it takes to build a relationship with a kid that isn’t making you a priority. Shortest distance between two points for most. Similar to the guys on this site who complain a lot, but won’t read this post, because it take too long.
So how can Manny and co combat that? Honestly, I get the issue but how can it be fixed if staff doesn't have the desire.

I agree it’s laziness and some coaches won’t even try because they think it’s too much of a long shot (like those guys who are scared to shoot their shot with any female above a 7)

Advertisement
Reading these threads from 3-4 years ago, my God. Canesinsight has better talent evaluators than our actual coaching staff.

Bro; we’ve been saying this for yrs. I come here to either get insight (no pun intended) or to bring a little myself; and we, for the most part, bounce ideas off each other & see the same chit (once the Homer glasses come off).

To me, that’s one of my bigger issues. How do fans, who have other obligations, can evaluate & see talent that would be a good fit here, yet guys who are paid to do this for a living cannot? It boggles my mind. Now of course we’ve had some hot takes forever wrong, but u bump these threads, whether it was players we passed on, or players we thought shouldn’t be here, and it’s a pretty high accuracy. Lol. That’s why these joints get bumped. Lol

Advertisement
So how can Manny and co combat that? Honestly, I get the issue but how can it be fixed if staff doesn't have the desire.
It’s not on Manny. It’s a time and brand issue. We’ll get ours and need to keep getting better athletes. Manny needs to get three or four good classes under him. Stay or go, the next four year cycle needs to do the same or better. The kids will come. We’re never going to get or keep a full staff of elite dog coaches. They move on. Once it’s built, the head coach will take credit for it and win because of it. If Manny wants to be that guy, he’ll fire Baker and bring in a better defensive staff. If not, he’ll lose his job and the next guy will start with more talent than Manny. We just can’t go on probation or not take full classes. We’re cleaning up on the trail. It’s a when, not an if.

Bro; we’ve been saying this for yrs. I come here to either get insight (no pun intended) or to bring a little myself; and we, for the most part, bounce ideas off each other & see the same chit (once the Homer glasses come off).

To me, that’s one of my bigger issues. How do fans, who have other obligations, can evaluate & see talent that would be a good fit here, yet guys who are paid to do this for a living cannot? It boggles my mind. Now of course we’ve had some hot takes forever wrong, but u bump these threads, whether it was players we passed on, or players we thought shouldn’t be here, and it’s a pretty high accuracy. Lol. That’s why these joints get bumped. Lol

It’s a combination of three things.

First, there is a well-researched and well-accepted thing called “wisdom of the crowds.” Basically, if you take a bunch of people online or whatever, they’re almost always collectively smarter than the experts in pretty much every area of life.

Second, coaches are arrogant and think they know better than the fans, even though this is false. Yes if you pick a random fan, Manny will probably know more about football than him. But he does NOT know more than the collective wisdom of the entire fanbase.

Third, selective memory. For every Nick Bonito post on this board, there are about a dozen Paranos specials who never pan out in college. But we only remember the ones we got right.

Basically if Miami could crowdsource its entire recruiting operation to CIS, Miami would be a lot more talented and would win a lot more games.

Individual fans are pretty retarded, but the collective fanbase is genius. Because good ideas take root, and bad ideas are sifted out.

It’s not just a Miami thing, this is true for all football teams, and most things unrelated to football

It’s a combination of three things.

First, there is a well-researched and well-accepted thing called “wisdom of the crowds.” Basically, if you take a bunch of people online or whatever, they’re almost always collectively smarter than the experts in pretty much every area of life.

Second, coaches are arrogant and think they know better than the fans, even though this is false. Yes if you pick a random fan, Manny will probably know more about football than him. But he does NOT know more than the collective wisdom of the entire fanbase.

Third, selective memory. For every Nick Bonito post on this board, there are about a dozen Paranos specials who never pan out in college. But we only remember the ones we got right.

Why u had to call out my guy like that? Lol

Advertisement
Back