Lincoln Riley to LSU (Rumored)

Yeah I mean that's facts. But doesn't mean he's not in a better spot to reproduce it at oklahoma. I mean he is 55-9 at oklahoma, a national championship is bound to happen soon at this rate but oh well, he can go to LSU and risk dominance to *maybe* get over the alabama hump
It does mean he is not in a better spot to reproduce it, Oklahoma hasn’t won a title in the last two decades, LSU has won three. That is exactly what it means unless your position is that les miles and Ed orgeron are more capable coaches, and he isn’t capable of the results they realized at LSU. He will have to get over the Alabama hump either way, they have played for 8 of the last 11 titles. Amd in those other three, one team beat Saban in the playoffs and the other two beat him in the regular season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I gotta admit, I would just move for the food.

On the flip side, Louisiana along with Mississippi are two of the most miserable states in the summer. Florida, you at least get a breeze off the Atlantic side, but not in those two places. Feels like you're swimming in the summer there.
It's not that bad.......lol

It does mean he is not in a better spot to reproduce it, Oklahoma hasn’t won a title in the last two decades, LSU has won three. That is exactly what it means unless your position is that les miles and Ed orgeron are more capable coaches, and he isn’t capable of the results they realized at LSU. He will have to get over the Alabama hump either way, they have played for 8 of the last 11 titles.
that's irrelevant.

fsu won a championship more recently than us.

florida won a championship more recently than us

Texas won a championship more recently than us.

using that logic, that means it would be way easier to win national championships at those schools right now right?

nobody is doubting lsu's ability to win championships, i'm saying they are equal with Oklahoma. Oklahoma is a perennial power house

12-2
12-2
12-2
9-2
10-1

one game away from championship on several occasions.

He's going to finish this year 11-1. Lsu is a dumpster fire right now, if you think he has a better chance at winning a championship next year at LSU than he does at Oklahoma then you need help

Advertisement
Advertisement
$3M? Huh? He already averages $10.6M on his current deal which peaks at $11.5M. Saban will get his deal reworked within a month. He might even already have an escalator that adjusts his deal based on other top coaches comp. It's not uncommon.

EDIT: Yeah he has an escalator: "The contract also states that Saban will be paid at least as much as the average total pay of the top three SEC coaches or top five NCAA coaches, whichever is higher."

You are using the average salary over the life of his deal ending in 2028. The article clearly states he is currently making 8.9 mil , it goes up 400k to 9.3 mil next season.

If I go back and rewrite it to say "Paying Riley 3 million more than Saban before the escalator in his contract escalator is triggered to average pay for of the top 5 coaches and we don't know how much that average amount will be", will that put your mind at ease? In reality, Saban gets so many side benefits like having his house paid for and private jets etc that put his real compensation well above 13 mil, maybe he doesnt care about being the highest paid.

Advertisement
You are using the average salary over the life of his deal ending in 2028. The article clearly states he is currently making 8.9 mil , it goes up 400k to 9.3 mil next season.

If I go back and rewrite it to say "Paying Riley 3 million more than Saban before the escalator in his contract escalator is triggered to average pay for of the top 5 coaches and we don't know how much that average amount will be", will that put your mind at ease?

The Riley $11M number being speculated on is the average salary per year over the life of the contract. He's not getting $11M each year, it surely escalates unless it's way, way out of the norm.

The average salary per year over the life of Saban's contract is $10.6M.

Apples to apples is $~11M and $10.6M. So you are paying Riley $400k more than Saban. Again, I guarantee Saban will get his deal reworked if he asks. He might not.

Last edited:
that's irrelevant.

fsu won a championship more recently than us.

florida won a championship more recently than us

Texas won a championship more recently than us.

using that logic, that means it would be way easier to win national championships at those schools right now right?

nobody is doubting lsu's ability to win championships, i'm saying they are equal with Oklahoma. Oklahoma is a perennial power house

12-2
12-2
12-2
9-2
10-1

one game away from championship on several occasions.

He's going to finish this year 11-1. Lsu is a dumpster fire right now, if you think he has a better chance at winning a championship next year at LSU than he does at Oklahoma then you need help
Oklahoma has not played in a title game in that span, interestingly enough, and probably won’t be again this year.

Advertisement
My opinion the reason why Lincoln Riley is heavily rumored to be taking the LSU job is because of defense. He knows OU has a representation of being a "soft"/"offense only" type of program. Despite hiring Alex Grinch a couple of years ago who was supposed to be a "defensive guru" but they've only seen marginal success in a conference not known for playing sound defense. I think he feels that although LSU may be a lateral move, he has greater access to more resources in terms of the pool of defensive talent. For the most part, even the bad LSU teams have had solid defenses and he sees that without that his shot at a championship is slim at OU due to inability to attract top defensive talent. I believe he realizes that he has reached his peak at Oklahoma and and possibly get from out of the shadow of Bob Stoops, who won at least 1 title at OU.

My opinion the reason why Lincoln Riley is heavily rumored to be taking the LSU job is because of defense. He knows OU has a representation of being a "soft"/"offense only" type of program. Despite hiring Alex Grinch a couple of years ago who was supposed to be a "defensive guru" but they've only seen marginal success in a conference not known for playing sound defense. I think he feels that although LSU may be a lateral move, he has greater access to more resources in terms of the pool of defensive talent. For the most part, even the bad LSU teams have had solid defenses and he sees that without that his shot at a championship is slim at OU due to inability to attract top defensive talent. I believe he realizes that he has reached his peak at Oklahoma and and possibly get from out of the shadow of Bob Stoops, who won at least 1 title at OU.
It’s not quite the same analogy but recruiting in Louisiana versus recruiting in Oklahoma kind of relates to recruiting in Oregon versus recruiting in Miami. Yes Oklahoma does a gettting National recruiting does get a lot of talent from Texas but Louisiana is way better for them

Advertisement
Back