Life after L

Leave it to MackBammer to answer a phone call about his car's extended warranty while getting his d*ck wet

Advertisement
Yeah, it’s important to note this. Whether he’s a troll or not (and this, in my opinion, was a very trollish type thread) to a Coach L is retiring/replacement thread, in the middle of an exciting NCAA run, is not something a serious fan would do. Maybe a half *** Alabama first, Miami second fan.
I lost my own poll on whether he’s a poRster or troll with the majority going against me and saying poRster but me, you and others are right. He’s a troll and a successful one.

With that said, I'll bite. Neither Bill Courtney or any of the other assistants currently on staff have any business taking over the program, even if Larranaga is insistent upon it. Aside from situations like with Coach K, Roy Williams, or Boeheim, you open a national search.

Caputo just went .500 in his first year at GW, so I'd probably have to see more from him. Huger is a game over .500 overall at Bowling Green in 9 seasons there. Konkol just had a dreadful first year at Tulsa. None of L's former assistants move the needle for me.

If we are looking at coaches from the L tree, the person I'd hone in on would be Tony Skinn. He's currently an assistant on Kevin Willard's staff at Maryland and has been with him for several years going back to Seton Hall. Also coached under Chris Holtmann at Ohio State and got his start, ironically, under Konkol at La Tech. Is from the DMV and knows the area well.

The other fairly obvious name would be Dusty May from FAU.

I get a kick out of you some of you but others get it. I don't think Coach L looking at retirement at all. He loves what he does and is doing an amazing job. I'm 68 and work FT fifty hours a week and if you love what you do there is no time table for retirement. Coach L is not old but his wisdom, exuberance, and knowledge is quite remarkable at ANY AGE!

Advertisement
With that said, I'll bite. Neither Bill Courtney or any of the other assistants currently on staff have any business taking over the program, even if Larranaga is insistent upon it. Aside from situations like with Coach K, Roy Williams, or Boeheim, you open a national search.

Caputo just went .500 in his first year at GW, so I'd probably have to see more from him. Huger is a game over .500 overall at Bowling Green in 9 seasons there. Konkol just had a dreadful first year at Tulsa. None of L's former assistants move the needle for me.

If we are looking at coaches from the L tree, the person I'd hone in on would be Tony Skinn. He's currently an assistant on Kevin Willard's staff at Maryland and has been with him for several years going back to Seton Hall. Also coached under Chris Holtmann at Ohio State and got his start, ironically, under Konkol at La Tech. Is from the DMV and knows the area well.

The other fairly obvious name would be Dusty May from FAU.

First (again) this is mental *********ion because Coach L is in his prime right now. He ain’t going nowhere - and we’re beyond lucky for that to be the case.

Now for message board speculation of the far future… assistant coaches under L who have demonstrated success as a head coach are going to get extra consideration because you know they were trained and mentored by one of the best in the business.

I love Huger - he is a truly awesome dude… but he’s out. He had a lot of advantages at bowling green but unfortunately couldn’t achieve sustained success.

Konkol is a different story. He won consistently and moved up. This year is a disaster but he’s following a bona fide program killer in Haith. His second year will tell a lot about his future.

But… just prepare yourselves now - if Caputo builds and sustains success at GW, it will be his job if he wants it. Caputo is loved and highly respected by the people who matter (and I’m not talking just in the AD, I'm talking the people who make it all happen… Mas, Kadre, Rudy, etc). His first year at GW was a stunning success in taking a depleted roster from a program that had been run into the ground and producing a winning conference record in the A10. He’s also put together GW’s highest rated recruiting class in forever.

Anyway… back to Houston. L needs a championship to leave no doubt about his hall of fame status (he’s already a clear hall of famer to me… but there are some that still might disagree).

None taken.

He was just 1 name I listed because he’s been a winner, if I was stumping for Alford I would’ve had him higher than 7th.
I think Alford would kill it at Miami. Chris Collins would be my first phone call.

Advertisement
My top 10 would be:

1. Kelvin Sampson
2. Eric Musselman
3. Rich Pitino
4. Mike Rhoades
5. Brian Dutcher
6. Darian DeVries
7. Steve Alford
8. Ritchie McKay
9. Joe Pasternack
10. Justin Joyner

Now idk how realistic any one of them would be considered, but Miami as a Basketball program that’s finally decided to open up the checkbook would be a fairly attractive destination for number of good coaches throughout the country.
Some of those guys are too old IMO , I’d like some one younger than 65.

I wish Jim Crutchfield(Novasoutheastern) was about 8 years younger. Awesome brand of bball on both ends of the floor (offense is basically the same...wonder where L got the idea to switch offenses), guy wins at an unreal clip, and he would build a roster similar to L. Wouldnt need to go recruit 5 star 1 and done.

Nova is pummeling people again. They are 34-0 and 2 wins away from an NC. In his career he is like 462-80 and has built to programs that were not very strong.

Some of those guys are too old IMO , I’d like some one younger than 65.
Other than Sampson & Dutcher everyone on the list is younger than 65.

But, the list was just names of Coaches who are winners, that was my primary criteria, not necessarily who I think will realistically be an option, just guys that have won at multiple programs.

If Larra stays for another 4 years, then Kim English would probably be my #1 pick.

By that time he would’ve continued winning at George Mason & probably gone on to another job & maintained success. Plus with having experience/access in DMV & Northeast recruiting would make him an ideal candidate IMO.

Other than Sampson & Dutcher everyone on the list is younger than 65.

But, the list was just names of Coaches who are winners, that was my primary criteria, not necessarily who I think will realistically be an option, just guys that have won at multiple programs.

If Larra stays for another 4 years, then Kim English would probably be my #1 pick.

By that time he would’ve continued winning at George Mason & probably gone on to another job & maintained success. Plus with having experience/access in DMV & Northeast recruiting would make him an ideal candidate IMO.
English just got hired at Providence so we're about to see what he can do at a big time job.

Advertisement
First (again) this is mental *********ion because Coach L is in his prime right now. He ain’t going nowhere - and we’re beyond lucky for that to be the case.

Now for message board speculation of the far future… assistant coaches under L who have demonstrated success as a head coach are going to get extra consideration because you know they were trained and mentored by one of the best in the business.

I love Huger - he is a truly awesome dude… but he’s out. He had a lot of advantages at bowling green but unfortunately couldn’t achieve sustained success.

Konkol is a different story. He won consistently and moved up. This year is a disaster but he’s following a bona fide program killer in Haith. His second year will tell a lot about his future.

But… just prepare yourselves now - if Caputo builds and sustains success at GW, it will be his job if he wants it. Caputo is loved and highly respected by the people who matter (and I’m not talking just in the AD, I'm talking the people who make it all happen… Mas, Kadre, Rudy, etc). His first year at GW was a stunning success in taking a depleted roster from a program that had been run into the ground and producing a winning conference record in the A10. He’s also put together GW’s highest rated recruiting class in forever.

Anyway… back to Houston. L needs a championship to leave no doubt about his hall of fame status (he’s already a clear hall of famer to me… but there are some that still might disagree).

Taking a 2nd program to the Final Four will lock it up. ****, maybe even getting Miami to the Elite 8 two years in a row by taking down a #1 seed on Friday might do it (3/25 EDIT: ✅). Especially since neither UM or GM had any sort of success close to that previously.

He will have 11+ banners of some sort (conference championships) attributed to his name, will have taken a mid-major to the Final Four, built an ACC top tier program from nothing, have over a .600 winning %, and will end up with 800+ wins most likely. ****, even in his first year at UM he led us to our first winning ACC season.

He's also respected by a lot of people that matter, and has the NYC hoop history credentials people like.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We are so fortunate to have him, however I am sure he would love to finish his career off with a championship and I really think we're getting closer and closer. We are already a second tier program and the evidence is undeniable:

In just 10 years:
-2 ACC Regular Season Championships
-1 ACC Tourney Championship
-4 Sweet Sixteens
-2 Elite Eights
-1 Final Four?!?!

We are in basketball, what someone like Virginia Tech under Beamer was in football and that's crazy.

Skys the limit with this team, putting on a scoring clinic over one of the top rated defensive teams in college basketball.

Feels like we are deeper than last year and Omier controlling the boards plus us shooting excellent from three makes us a problem for every team.

Hope we can keep the percentage from three as high as we have vs Houston and vs Indiana.

Advertisement
Back