Life after L

canesstevealum08

"Wyatt, I am rolling!"
Premium
Does this twilight part of his career and an elite 8 last year impact who we go after next? I say coach L has redefined the ceiling of this program. There’s proof of concept that it can be an elite hoops program possibly national championship caliber. It would be interesting to see where Miami athletics decides to look.

Advertisement
I wonder if his son, Jay, who is currently an NBA assistant on the Clippers would have any interest or be a great candidate. Maybe he comes to Miami for his dad’s final year then takes over the following year. Just an idea.

Otherwise completely agree, there needs to be a continued focus on developing this team and program. They are so fun to watch and have been much better than the football team for over a decade now.

I hope we find another Mid Major Gem who can X and O game to game and plays to each teams strengths. I think casual Miami BBall fans dont realize how good he is and if it wasnt for some fake scandal that slowed down the trajectory of the program and messed up our roster who knows what the those 3-4 years could have been like.

But if we were going "Big game hunting" I'd say make a call to Hurley at Uconn.

Advertisement
Whatever miami does, they need to go after the best basketball coach possible. No more Frank haith's or Perry Clark aka the cheap route. We should be shooting for another Coach L or better. Also his assistants matter also.
How are his former assistants doing in their careers?

Advertisement
Duke shows just how difficult it is to replace an uber-successful coach. They planned and trained and waited, then boom! UNRANKED. UNC hasn't done much better.
To be fair, UNC and Duke were both in the final 4 last year, and UNC was up on Kansas by 15 at half in the finals.
Both are unexpectedly down this year. Duke's problem seems to be youth. UNC is the bigger mystery--they have virtually all the pieces from last year's squad still in place, but can't get out of their own way on the court this year.

To be fair, UNC and Duke were both in the final 4 last year, and UNC was up on Kansas by 15 at half in the finals.
Both are unexpectedly down this year. Duke's problem seems to be youth. UNC is the bigger mystery--they have virtually all the pieces from last year's squad still in place, but can't get out of their own way on the court this year.
I would remind you that Clappy won a national championship with Butch's team..........................

Advertisement
My top 10 would be:

1. Kelvin Sampson
2. Eric Musselman
3. Rich Pitino
4. Mike Rhoades
5. Brian Dutcher
6. Darian DeVries
7. Steve Alford
8. Ritchie McKay
9. Joe Pasternack
10. Justin Joyner

Now idk how realistic any one of them would be considered, but Miami as a Basketball program that’s finally decided to open up the checkbook would be a fairly attractive destination for number of good coaches throughout the country.

Advertisement
I think it’s way too early and premature to talk about Coach L’s replacement. 2026 could very well be his last year but it’s a long ways away. Besides, who knows, the way he’s been looking the past 2 seasons he looks revitalized and could go to 2030. The way things sit now, I’m sure there will be plenty of options if and when L decides to hang it up. One thing I will say is we’d be doing the program a disservice if we didn’t open up the hiring process. This talk about his son or assistants taking over is a bit underwhelming to me.

What abt that former L assistant that went to coach GW, if he improves a lot by the time of L’s retirement he could maybe be an option

Advertisement
Back