Life after L

I hope we find another Mid Major Gem who can X and O game to game and plays to each teams strengths. I think casual Miami BBall fans dont realize how good he is and if it wasnt for some fake scandal that slowed down the trajectory of the program and messed up our roster who knows what the those 3-4 years could have been like.

But if we were going "Big game hunting" I'd say make a call to Hurley at Uconn.
Guy is a madman in terms of personality. Almost to the level of frothing at the mouth. Gotta believe he's polarizing within his squad. We'll see how that all shakes out.

Also, fwiw, I'm sure Hurley considers UConn a better job than Miami.

Advertisement
Exaggerating a little, killing it in their 90s?

Not at all, I speak from personal experience. I have a mentor that is 92 or so now (I should know that) who still makes seven figures running his family company. Sharp as a tack, sarcastic as you can be, never slowed down, loves it.

I'm not suggesting a person in their 90's would make a good candidate for the rigors of being a NCAA CBB head coach, but I'm not worried about Coach L at 73 right now. Like I clearly said, I could see him coach another 5+ (I mean the + part too) years at Miami if he doesn't have health issues.

Coach L will be 74 next season, I'm not sure how much longer he wants to coach. Who would you guys be interested in as his successor? I would imagine he has another year or two left in him.

Advertisement
80 is the new 50. ... Seriously, I wouldn't mind having a super high energy HC in waiting. Felt that way for the past 4 years.

My guess is he will recommend one of his assistants. Then it will be up to the AD to follow his recommendation or launch a nationwide search. If the program stays strong, there should be no problem selecting from any number of applicants.

Advertisement
Only MackBammer would start a thread about coach L retiring when we’re in the middle of another tourney run.

Just be happy your team (🅰️) is still in the tournament and hopefully maybe we’ll play them.
I just disappeared his thread into the existing one, giving mack no credit for the clicks of course.

I just disappeared his thread into the existing one, giving mack no credit for the clicks of course.

8F85F32D-536E-4F71-9B91-18AAA6E0BFFD.gif

Advertisement
I know not of the mysterious ways of the magical orange round ball. I must respect the will and wisdom of those here all along for each turn of our team’s glorious travels.

As bandwagoneers such as myself flock to this board, perhaps the fine stewards of this forum such as it’s mayors, @jkdood and @Da_Lucky_One will guide others (Mack) in the thread starting etiquette of this fine place.

My top 10 would be:

1. Kelvin Sampson
2. Eric Musselman
3. Rich Pitino
4. Mike Rhoades
5. Brian Dutcher
6. Darian DeVries
7. Steve Alford
8. Ritchie McKay
9. Joe Pasternack
10. Justin Joyner

Now idk how realistic any one of them would be considered, but Miami as a Basketball program that’s finally decided to open up the checkbook would be a fairly attractive destination for number of good coaches throughout the country.
No offense, but any list with Steve Alford on it is immediately discredited. Talk to people at Iowa, UNM, and UCLA for more information.

And the fact that they ALL will give you the same information/perspective tells you all you need to know.

Now DeVries...really interesting to see what he could do at a higher profile job. But recruiting ability is the immediate question. Having said that, that is always the question for guys in those types of jobs.

Advertisement
No offense, but any list with Steve Alford on it is immediately discredited. Talk to people at Iowa, UNM, and UCLA for more information.

And the fact that they ALL will give you the same information/perspective tells you all you need to know.

Now DeVries...really interesting to see what he could do at a higher profile job. But recruiting ability is the immediate question. Having said that, that is always the question for guys in those types of jobs.
None taken.

He was just 1 name I listed because he’s been a winner, if I was stumping for Alford I would’ve had him higher than 7th.

@canesstevealum08--there is a time and a place for everything.

For example, telling a consensual partner you have an incurable and aggressive STD after the act is done--inconsiderate. A surgeon who uses sarcasm or slam poetry to break the news to family members related to a patient who died on his operating table; also not a good idea.

Discussing a head coaches' longevity while he is actively working his way through a tourney...

Washington Wizards Bruhh GIF by NBC Sports Washington

Couldn't this wait until July? Or maybe July...like in 2027? Coach Larranaga already said he was not interested in retiring.

Advertisement
Back