Life after L

I think it’s way too early and premature to talk about Coach L’s replacement. 2026 could very well be his last year but it’s a long ways away. Besides, who knows, the way he’s been looking the past 2 seasons he looks revitalized and could go to 2030. The way things sit now, I’m sure there will be plenty of options if and when L decides to hang it up. One thing I will say is we’d be doing the program a disservice if we didn’t open up the hiring process. This talk about his son or assistants taking over is a bit underwhelming to me.
Agreed.

I like Bill Courtney & think he could be a HC again somewhere, but I think a guy like him shouldn’t be handed the reigns to a high profile top 20 program like ours fresh out the gate. He should get an opportunity at programs like UMASS, St. Joe’s or Winthrop etc..

Whenever L does finally hang it up, this will be a premium job because of the great work Larra did here in building this program with his extraordinary coaching & wealth of knowledge of the game.

He’s a College Basketball Titan.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What abt that former L assistant that went to coach GW, if he improves a lot by the time of L’s retirement he could maybe be an option
It’s still real early for Chris Caputo, he’s in year 1 of his tenure & Jamon Christian left GW in complete shambles. That program was a smoking hot dumpster fire when he got fired & hasn’t had any viability since Mike Lonergan was there.

It’s gonna take Chris a few years before he’d be ready to run a program like Miami’s.

Speaking of L assistants, there was a time I thought Konkol "might" be that future guy. 6 years coaching Louisiana Tech (HC) since he left Miami not one losing season and was almost .700 ...in fact promoted(?) to Tulsa HC just last year (replacing our buddy Frank Haith)... but so far sorta wet the bed there (w5 L17) so may be a while (if ever)

Advertisement
My personal favorite who probably will get the C of C Cougars into the tournament:

Pat Kelsey was named the 24th all-time head men’s basketball coach at the College of Charleston on March 25, 2021.

Kelsey brought in nearly an entirely new roster in his first campaign with a young core and just two returnees in 2021-22. The Cougars won 17 games, and secured a berth in the CAA Tournament Semifinals for the first time since 2019 in year one. The 17th win matched the most the Cougars won in legendary coach John Kresse's first season at the helm in 1979-80. Over the course of the campaign, Kelsey secured his 200th career win with a Feb. 15 victory over Drexel. With 203 wins and counting, he is one of just four active Division I coaches with at least 203 victories in 10 or fewer seasons: Kelsey, Chris Beard, Archie Miller and Bryce Drew.

Kelsey guided two players to All-CAA honors in John Meeks and Dimitrius Underwood, and two freshmen earned All-CAA Rookie Team honors (Reyne Smith and Ben Burnham) in the same season for the first time since 2015-16. Kelsey's high-octane pace wreaked havoc with CofC ranking third nationally in possessions per game and 26th in scoring while leading the conference in offensive rebounding.

Over the course of his first campaign in Charleston, the Cougars beat SoCon champion Chattanooga on the road, CAA champion Delaware on the road, swept Tulane, downed Old Dominion in Norfolk, swept Elon, Northeastern and William & Mary in league play and blew out Hofstra in the CAA Tournament by 16. All four of CofC's standout freshmen return in 2022-23, joined by a host of talented newcomers.

The fifth all-time winningest coach in the history of the Big South Conference, he resurrected the proud basketball tradition at Winthrop University, averaging 20.7 wins per season over the last nine years in Rock Hill, S.C. No other Big South program can tout more wins overall or more conference wins in that time span.

Kelsey, 45, will lead yet another tradition-rich basketball program as College of Charleston ranks seventh all-time (.685) among the winningest programs in NCAA Division I history with the likes of Kentucky (.762), North Carolina (.735), Kansas (.727), Duke (.710), UCLA (.688) and UNLV (.687).

The 2021 Big South Conference Coach of the Year most recently guided the Eagles to a 23-2 campaign, a school-record 21-game win streak and Big South tournament title, earning the league’s automatic NCAA Tournament bid for a third time under his watch.

The brand of basketball that Kelsey instilled in the Eagle program was an exciting one as it gained national recognition receiving votes in both The Associated Press and Coaches Top 25 Polls. The Eagles also ranked as high as No. 2 in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll and led the conference in scoring offense, averaging 78.9 points per game, which ranked No. 31 nationally.

A two-time finalist for the Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award and finalist for the 2021 Jim Phelan Coach of the Year Award, Kelsey compiled a 186-95 (.662) overall record and an impressive 110-46 (.705) mark in conference play. Winthrop also won the Big South regular-season title four times – in 2016, 2017, 2020 and 2021.

In all, 16 Winthrop players were selected all-conference, while three were tabbed Big South Player of the Year, one Big South Freshman of the Year and two Big South Tournament Most Valuable Player.

His previous coaching stops include his alma mater Xavier (2009-12), where he served as Associate Head Coach under Chris Mack as well as Wake Forest, where he served as Assistant Coach (2004-09) and Director of Basketball Operations (2001-04) under Dino Gaudio and the late Skip Prosser.

Kelsey graduated *** laude in 1998 from Xavier University with a bachelor’s degree in business administration and marketing. He began his collegiate playing career at the University of Wyoming, before transferring and playing three seasons at point guard for the Musketeers from 1995 to 1998.
Kelsey Family

Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio, Kelsey and his wife, Lisa, have three children: Ruthie, Caroline and Johnny.

PAT KELSEY FILE

CAREER HONORS
· 2021 Big South Conference Coach of the Year
· Two-Time Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award Finalist (2016 and 2021)
· 2021 CollegeInsider.com Jim Phelan Coach of the Year Award Finalist
· 2020 CollegeInsider.com Hugh Durham Mid-Major Coach of the Year Finalist

OVERALL COACHING RECORD
2012-13:
14-17
2013-14: 20-13 (Big South Championship Game)
2014-15: 19-13 (Big South Championship Game)
2015-16: 23-9 (Big South Regular Season Co-Champions)
2016-17: 26-7 (Big South Regular Season Co-Champions and Tournament Champions, NCAA First Round)
2017-18: 19-12
2018-19: 18-12
2019-20: 24-10 (Big South Regular Season Co-Champions and Tournament Champions)
2020-21: 23-2 (Big South Regular Season Champions and Tournament Champions, NCAA First Round)
2021-22: 17-15
Overall Record: 203-110 (.649)

Caputo is an extremely smart guy and is already moving things in the right direction at GW (they’re .500 in conference and the roster he inherited is paper thin). He is also very highly regarded by the people who matter most at Miami.

As long as he succeeds at GW, he’s very likely going to be the guy when L hangs it up (which is, hopefully, no time soon).

Not saying he should definitely be the guy, but Boynton deserves a look. He’s young enough, can recruit well enough and his OSU teams always play hard. He’s a NY guy so I think he’d at least entertain a shot to coach at Miami.

I think it’s way too early and premature to talk about Coach L’s replacement. 2026 could very well be his last year but it’s a long ways away. Besides, who knows, the way he’s been looking the past 2 seasons he looks revitalized and could go to 2030. The way things sit now, I’m sure there will be plenty of options if and when L decides to hang it up. One thing I will say is we’d be doing the program a disservice if we didn’t open up the hiring process. This talk about his son or assistants taking over is a bit underwhelming to me.

I agree that 2026 is a ways off, and that at this rate, L may stick around past that.

But you gotta figure it's going to hurt recruiting (and maybe it already has). It'll be hard to attract quality HS players if they expect the HC to leave in a year or two.

Advertisement
I hope we get someone who has that guard-focused approach with tons of ball movement offensively.

I love watching basketball teams with great ball movement. The Mavs perfected that during their championship run and the Spurs went ape**** on the Heat with that.

My personal favorite who probably will get the C of C Cougars into the tournament:

Pat Kelsey was named the 24th all-time head men’s basketball coach at the College of Charleston on March 25, 2021.

Kelsey brought in nearly an entirely new roster in his first campaign with a young core and just two returnees in 2021-22. The Cougars won 17 games, and secured a berth in the CAA Tournament Semifinals for the first time since 2019 in year one. The 17th win matched the most the Cougars won in legendary coach John Kresse's first season at the helm in 1979-80. Over the course of the campaign, Kelsey secured his 200th career win with a Feb. 15 victory over Drexel. With 203 wins and counting, he is one of just four active Division I coaches with at least 203 victories in 10 or fewer seasons: Kelsey, Chris Beard, Archie Miller and Bryce Drew.

Kelsey guided two players to All-CAA honors in John Meeks and Dimitrius Underwood, and two freshmen earned All-CAA Rookie Team honors (Reyne Smith and Ben Burnham) in the same season for the first time since 2015-16. Kelsey's high-octane pace wreaked havoc with CofC ranking third nationally in possessions per game and 26th in scoring while leading the conference in offensive rebounding.

Over the course of his first campaign in Charleston, the Cougars beat SoCon champion Chattanooga on the road, CAA champion Delaware on the road, swept Tulane, downed Old Dominion in Norfolk, swept Elon, Northeastern and William & Mary in league play and blew out Hofstra in the CAA Tournament by 16. All four of CofC's standout freshmen return in 2022-23, joined by a host of talented newcomers.

The fifth all-time winningest coach in the history of the Big South Conference, he resurrected the proud basketball tradition at Winthrop University, averaging 20.7 wins per season over the last nine years in Rock Hill, S.C. No other Big South program can tout more wins overall or more conference wins in that time span.

Kelsey, 45, will lead yet another tradition-rich basketball program as College of Charleston ranks seventh all-time (.685) among the winningest programs in NCAA Division I history with the likes of Kentucky (.762), North Carolina (.735), Kansas (.727), Duke (.710), UCLA (.688) and UNLV (.687).

The 2021 Big South Conference Coach of the Year most recently guided the Eagles to a 23-2 campaign, a school-record 21-game win streak and Big South tournament title, earning the league’s automatic NCAA Tournament bid for a third time under his watch.

The brand of basketball that Kelsey instilled in the Eagle program was an exciting one as it gained national recognition receiving votes in both The Associated Press and Coaches Top 25 Polls. The Eagles also ranked as high as No. 2 in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll and led the conference in scoring offense, averaging 78.9 points per game, which ranked No. 31 nationally.

A two-time finalist for the Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award and finalist for the 2021 Jim Phelan Coach of the Year Award, Kelsey compiled a 186-95 (.662) overall record and an impressive 110-46 (.705) mark in conference play. Winthrop also won the Big South regular-season title four times – in 2016, 2017, 2020 and 2021.

In all, 16 Winthrop players were selected all-conference, while three were tabbed Big South Player of the Year, one Big South Freshman of the Year and two Big South Tournament Most Valuable Player.

His previous coaching stops include his alma mater Xavier (2009-12), where he served as Associate Head Coach under Chris Mack as well as Wake Forest, where he served as Assistant Coach (2004-09) and Director of Basketball Operations (2001-04) under Dino Gaudio and the late Skip Prosser.

Kelsey graduated *** laude in 1998 from Xavier University with a bachelor’s degree in business administration and marketing. He began his collegiate playing career at the University of Wyoming, before transferring and playing three seasons at point guard for the Musketeers from 1995 to 1998.
Kelsey Family

Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio, Kelsey and his wife, Lisa, have three children: Ruthie, Caroline and Johnny.

PAT KELSEY FILE

CAREER HONORS

OVERALL COACHING RECORD
2012-13:
14-17
2016-17: 26-7 (Big South Regular Season Co-Champions and Tournament Champions, NCAA First Round)
2020-21: 23-2 (Big South Regular Season Champions and Tournament Champions, NCAA First Round)

Are you his agent?

Who is the guy at Nova, who designed this system that Coach L runs? Even Spo spend time with him learning the system...

Advertisement

Kelsey Family

PAT KELSEY FILE

CAREER HONORS

OVERALL COACHING RECORD
2012-13:
14-17
That’s a good pick, Charleston has had a really great year thus far at 22-3.

They even beat VA Tech earlier in the season, they’re gonna be a tough out in the Tourney.

Well if assuming L doesn’t hang it up for another 2-3 years. I wouldn’t Mike Boynton from Okie State.

They are middling right now but he is a really good young coach. He is hampered by having to recruit to Stillwater and the loss of T Boone Pickens.

I think he can turn around though and the last 2 coaches we hired from OSU turned out to be pretty good hires.

Agreed i want the best recruiter possible. High school recruiting has held us back from being truly elite, imo

Advertisement
Does this twilight part of his career and an elite 8 last year impact who we go after next? I say coach L has redefined the ceiling of this program. There’s proof of concept that it can be an elite hoops program possibly national championship caliber. It would be interesting to see where Miami athletics decides to look.
100% and it looks like there will finally be big time money for the next head coach as well.

I wonder if his son, Jay, who is currently an NBA assistant on the Clippers would have any interest or be a great candidate. Maybe he comes to Miami for his dad’s final year then takes over the following year. Just an idea.

Otherwise completely agree, there needs to be a continued focus on developing this team and program. They are so fun to watch and have been much better than the football team for over a decade now.
Jays been an NBA guy forever now I believe, I think he was w the Celtics before. he prolly gets an NBA HC gig

I agree. Dude has been coaching his whole life and just had one of his best season last year at the highest level. We're not talking about a guy who is "hanging on." I think it's fair to say Miami Hoops is currently on an UPSWING. And this year is looking pretty **** good so far, recruiting is good, his health is good. Age is just a number. There are people who slow badly in their 60's and people who are still productive and killing it in their 90's. Coach L is coaching like he's in his prime and he loves it. I could easily see him here another 5+ years.

I agree. Dude has been coaching his whole life and just had one of his best season last year at the highest level. We're not talking about a guy who is "hanging on." I think it's fair to say Miami Hoops is currently on an UPSWING. And this year is looking pretty **** good so far, recruiting is good, his health is good. Age is just a number. There are people who slow badly in their 60's and people who are still productive and killing it in their 90's. Coach L is coaching like he's in his prime and he loves it. I could easily see him here another 5+ years.

Exaggerating a little, killing it in their 90s?

Advertisement
Back