Let's play the coaching wishlist game

Butch is washed up and people talked on these boards in 1999 about him just like you guys are about Al

Tuberville? I can not believe this guy has 9 lives.

Anyone who is use to Marshall entrance standards can never come to Miami. Look at Brian Kelly of ND.

That video of Hedsputh is a joke. Is that an Under Armor commercial? College guys do not react to that. They tune it out.

I love Rich Rod and with the PAC12 getting really good and he will have no chance at the top 20 kids at each position in Cali and gets a Miami offer he has to take it.

I love Leach. He would be great for the Area.

Chud? You guys get your panties in a wad over Golden and Penn St. This guys agent will pop his name into every NFL job and so will the media.

What do you mean this guy or that guy is another Al Golden? Same personality or do you mean builds a crap small program this unworthy of Miami?

Many of you have to get it out of your head that all these coaches are an extension of the great HC they were an Assitant under. Also they are all not taking notes. Most with egos think the coach they are under are just a product of their great recruiting. Ask them. They will tell you. Have you seen one Patriots assistant do well away from Bleicheck? You really think Saban is taking Kiffen under his fatherly wing and teaching him everything? Think Kiffen is no longer a compulsive liar who can not delegate to quality coordinators? Ok good luck with that.

How were they talking about Butch in 2000?

Ever watch The U Part2? Of course you haven't.

Might learn something.

Advertisement
Butch is washed up and people talked on these boards in 1999 about him just like you guys are about Al

Anyone who is use to Marshall entrance standards can never come to Miami. Look at Brian Kelly of ND.

That video of Hedsputh is a joke. Is that an Under Armor commercial? College guys do not react to that. They tune it out.

I love Rich Rod and with the PAC12 getting really good and he will have no chance at the top 20 kids at each position in Cali and gets a Miami offer he has to take it.

Chud? You guys get your panties in a wad over Golden and Penn St. This guys agent will pop his name into every NFL job and so will the media.

What do you mean this guy or that guy is another Al Golden? Same personality or do you mean builds a crap small program this unworthy of Miami?

Many of you have to get it out of your head that all these coaches are an extension of the great HC they were an Assitant under. Also they are all not taking notes. Most with egos think the coach they are under are just a product of their great recruiting. Ask them. They will tell you. Have you seen one Patriots assistant do well away from Bleicheck? You really think Saban is taking Kiffen under his fatherly wing and teaching him everything? Think Kiffen is no longer a compulsive liar who can not delegate to quality coordinators? Ok good luck with that.

Doc Holliday is as well known as it gets across the state of Florida and was also an assistant at uf and nc state besides West Virginia. Stupid comments.

I agree about possibility of chud but way too open ended. Still worth a serious look.

Leach had his chance here.no thanks.

No al golden, idiot. Just because someone rises from a small program doesn't mean they are identical to golden. The knock on golden at the time we hired him was even though he had superior resources for recruiting in his conference he still sucked against any good team. And a guy doesn't have to have a lot of hc experience anyways to be incredibly successful. It's not a deterministic world in which we live, either. Coaching under a great coach should only benefit the possibility that someone may learn a lot about running a successful program. But there are no guarantees. We could also criticize someone without such a benefit as being 'unworthy' of miami and too uncertain. It goes both ways.

Among coaches on my list, brohm has a strong nfl background, years of coaching and play calling under petrino, and had a terrific offense and gaining seasoning as a head man at wku in his first year.

Fleck is a guy who actually had them beating semi decent teams in his conference in his second year and they rose tremendously in his second year. Can he keep it going or maintain it? We'll find out this year but he thus far is one to begin seriously watching.

Arnanda has been an amazing doc wherever he goes,and transforms programs defenses into great ones. He has no hc experience so like anyone who comes with that particular trait he could be a young butch or Charlie strong. Or he could be mud champ. Nonetheless, guy is great wherever he goes and should be seriously watched.

Pruitt is another fast riser and apparently Saban, fisher, and now richt seem to like him a lot. Guy is a great recruiter and very good dc. Plus he has a lot of familiarity in the southeast and the state of fl so far.

Herman is another guy whose been great wherever he goes and happened to gain even more by also coaching under Meyer. But he's just beginning as a head guy too.

We all know kifffin is high risk. But he has nfl hc experience, coached at ut and coached at a roster cut usc. The pressure at miami would be a joke compared to what he's already experienced as a hc. He could be a guy that just stays three to four years but whom is capable of making a serious dent with our talent in the acc. And one recent guy who learned under Saban, btw, seems to be doing well (Mcelwain). Don't underestimate the anal retentiveness effect of Saban and what is required of his assistants.

Pruitt is an interesting candidate.

Brian Brohm will be an interesting candidate in a few years but I would go after Petrino in a heartbeat.

Yes, I saw th U part 2. And I did see Butch's team play in 2000 but I was talking about 1999. Everything said and flown over a stadium and put on a message board about Al was first done to Butch in 1998 and 1999. Did Butch just learn to coach pro athletes in 1 year out of the blue or did it take time to build up the Team?

Brian Kelly would be interesting also. If he does not make it this year and the Eagles turn into a dumpster fire so bad that they fire him do you guys want him? Because that would mean he could not control and coach loud black athletes as a few that have left the Eagles have suggested. Is that the the type of guy for Miami? Just asking.

At this point, I don't think rich rod would leave Arizona for this job.

Doc Holiday is a realistic candidate and I think he could do a very good job here.

Agreed. They'd easily match whatever we'd offer, Arizona is actually a decent place to live, the pressure there is relatively low and he can still recruit well and have success in that conference. Unless he has NFL aspirations I don't see him viewing our job as some great promotion- especially when we wouldn't be blowing him away financially.

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is as well known as it gets across the state of Florida and was also an assistant at uf and nc state besides West Virginia. Stupid comments.

I agree about possibility of chud but way too open ended. Still worth a serious look.

Leach had his chance here.no thanks.

No al golden, idiot. Just because someone rises from a small program doesn't mean they are identical to golden. The knock on golden at the time we hired him was even though he had superior resources for recruiting in his conference he still sucked against any good team. And a guy doesn't have to have a lot of hc experience anyways to be incredibly successful. It's not a deterministic world in which we live, either. Coaching under a great coach should only benefit the possibility that someone may learn a lot about running a successful program. But there are no guarantees. We could also criticize someone without such a benefit as being 'unworthy' of miami and too uncertain. It goes both ways.

Among coaches on my list, brohm has a strong nfl background, years of coaching and play calling under petrino, and had a terrific offense and gaining seasoning as a head man at wku in his first year.

Fleck is a guy who actually had them beating semi decent teams in his conference in his second year and they rose tremendously in his second year. Can he keep it going or maintain it? We'll find out this year but he thus far is one to begin seriously watching.

Interesting. I would be more interested in a couple of other MAC coaches in Matt Campbell and Dino Babers.
I like Campbell because he runs the sort of spread offense that would well with the UM and soFla athletes.
It is an offense that is adept at running the ball as it in passsing, and Campbell comes from the Mt.Union pipeline,
so he would not have problems putting together a solid staff.
His only negative thus far has been his defenses....he does have alot of starters returning on that side of the ball,
so if it improves it will be a plus for him.
Similarly, on the offensive side of the ball, he has to replace 4 starters on a OLine unit that has been very good
the last 2-3 years. Again, if the OLine continues to do well this season, it will be a very good reflection of his ability
to coach.
I also like that he has many Florida kids on his roster, so he knows our backyard.

Babers runs the Baylor offense at Bowling Green....another offense that would be great in Coral Gables.
And he has been around for many years, working for many head coaches, so he would have a good rolodex.

Chip Kelly and Lane Kiffin have had issues with the NCAA, so waste of time to discuss them as potential candidates
for UM.

Matt Campbell does look very interesting and they did win the Mac last year. He and fleck are two to watch.

I'm curious to see how bob diaco does at uconn this year. Any coachs first year can be the immediate culture change etc year so year two will be interesting to watch. He was a great dc at Notre dame for several years and may just be a good coordinator. But I'll be keeping close tabs on year two

Advertisement
If we're going with non-power 5 candidates, I think we should stay away from the MAC.

Go C-USA with Chad Morris or Justin Fuente. I think we could get either of those guys, and stay "on budget".

Lets hope the current staff (I know no data suggests this) figures things out and we win this year. Would this not be best for all of us?

Lets hope the current staff (I know no data suggests this) figures things out and we win this year. Would this not be best for all of us?

Absolutely not!

Why? Because there is no historical evidence that Fraulden is even remotely capable of being competent. He deserved to be canned last year, by the same standard that got Shannon fired. Ergo, IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

Advertisement
Lol

Our options are "has beens" or "amateur hour" ... We can continue the debate about which is better, but those are the options.

We're not getting an established head coach to leave his program for us.

And before people chime in with revisionist history, Jimmy and Dennis left teams that were not as good as ours to coach at Miami ... So, they were getting a "promotion". At this point, we're an average ACC team ... And that's been the case for a decade, not just the past 4 seasons. I'm not sure the head coach of an average team in the PAC-12, SEC, or Big 12 really sees us as an upgrade.

But we'll know for sure after Golden meets the "not top 25" expectations fo this season, and we start the next coach search ...

Yeah I'm on board with Leach. If we get Leavitt for DC. We would crush people.

Leach knows how to turn an offense into a machine. He took Washington State to a bowl game in year 2 (they've only been to like 10 total), and People are predicting he will take them again this year. That team has complete crap for talent and he beat Kiffin when he was at USC. Think about that. Mike Leach with crappy Washington State players beat Kiffin with 5 star west coast studs. We got Erickson from Washington State and he worked out.

Leavitt is a bad *** defensive coach. Coached for Harbaugh. Did great stuff for USF. We could be incredible with his defense.

Think about it. Leach offense. Leavitt defense?!?! It's too good to pass up. We for sure could get Leach from Washington State. They probably are paying him crap. And Leavitt is at Colorado? WTF both of them are way too good for those crap programs.

Joker Phillips won 4 SEC games in his first two years and he was a terrible coach. Stoops has won 2 SEC games in his first two, he is worse than Joker. A bad hire by any measure and he would be a nightmare at UM. He's a good DC, just leave it at that.

Right, Stoops is just tearing it up at Kentucky. Terrible choice for HC, ok for a DC.

they couldnt win an sec game before he got there. they are at least competitive. that program is one of the worst in a power conference and its in the toughest.
He built the FSU defense.

I would go with
1.)Butch
2.) Stoops
3.) Strong

I would never take Cristobal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back