Let’s talk wide receivers

Doesn’t Gattis like using the middle of the field more? Seems to me X and the TE’s can eat in this offense which will hopeful give time for the young guys to come into their own?

Advertisement
Soooo are they getting separation or no? Is this really just a symptom of Gattis’ pass offense just being mediocre?

I will not at all debate the wisdom of @Cribby and his sauces, but I’ll lay out some general feelings I have seen on the board re: WR

- From most reports from Spring until now, a pink elephant catches better than our receiver group as a whole…

- If Mario was satisfied he wouldn’t have aggressively pursued the portal multiple times.

- The veteran receivers were not trusted enough to clearly beat out ****** receivers last year.

- Our DBs have been a weakness. They may have substantially improved, but once bitten (or 20 straight offseasons) twice shy on their reported dominance making the WRs look bad

I’ll let the season play out…

When real games are played, I have faith that Tyler Van Dyke will make these players better by proxy of him playing like the R1 QB he is supposed to be. But them drops and inability to produce when they get roughed up a little gonna be a problem all year. They don't go away as a unit. Just got to hope one or more guys figures it out. Rambo did in the second half of the year, and Harley did the year prior and both had strong second halves. Hope one of these guys emerge on the outside, because the TEs and Restrepo are going to be fine and get theirs.

You bring in Colbie Young and Frank Ladsen in hopes that one of those is that guy...but not sounding like they are early on. Lets reassess after a few games.

Advertisement
The complication of the offense was always a concern.

Just give me a Briles style system and unleash it on opposing defenses.

South Florida kids go everywhere else and learn complex offenses. The defense is learning a more complex scheme too and it sounds like they’re not having any problems.

I agree with what you’ve been saying but its the coaches job to teach the players, if almost all of them are having trouble learning the playbook then its a teaching problem
Well then we are recruiting the wrong types then. Because other than Harley, our WR’s were lost under Enos and it looks like the same is happening now for the exception of X and Redding.

I’m just hanging on to the odds here. Odds are, that between the 4-5 guys we have for those spots. Someone’s going to get opportunity and actually do something with that opportunity.
Happy to argue who that might be, but someone is going to take advantage of their shot. Those are the odds I’m relying on. 🤷‍♂️

That’s the easy way out of the problem. It’s the coordinators job to get the most out of these kids… especially if the coordinator is the WR coach. These kids were good in HS and now they are Jags?
The coordinator inherited a bunch of athletes who can’t catch so let blame him

Last edited:
Advertisement
Btw u man that be talking bout offenses need to be simple...when you get matched up against better teams, u get pummeled like Lashlee did v Clemson. I want the defense to think and have to play discipline. That's what gives you a chance when you play better teams. Players need to step up and I think someone will. Holla back mid season

I will not at all debate the wisdom of @Cribby and his sauces, but I’ll lay out some general feelings I have seen on the board re: WR

- From most reports from Spring until now, a pink elephant catches better than our receiver group as a whole…

- If Mario was satisfied he wouldn’t have aggressively pursued the portal multiple times.

- The veteran receivers were not trusted enough to clearly beat out ****** receivers last year.

- Our DBs have been a weakness. They may have substantially improved, but once bitten (or 20 straight offseasons) twice shy on their reported dominance making the WRs look bad

I’ll let the season play out…
I literally said the negatives about the wr’s, I was one of or maybe the first to start talking about the group stdiggling early in spring. This thread just gave fair reasoning for their struggles. As for the cb’s TS didn’t struggle and was a strength. Also it’s hard to judge cb’s giving ten yard cushions all day or just bailing.

Its amazing how people can read the same post and take negative or positives from it. It was equal pros and cons. Then reasoning for both.

Btw u man that be talking bout offenses need to be simple...when you get matched up against better teams, u get pummeled like Lashlee did v Clemson. I want the defense to think and have to play discipline. That's what gives you a chance when you play better teams. Players need to step up and I think someone will. Holla back mid season
That wasn’t scheme or plays , that was an Ol being completely overmatched. The plays were over at the snap.

Advertisement
So it's your opinion that this defense of ours will be better than Clemson and TAMU? That's a big statement if so.

I literally said the negatives about the wr’s, I was one of or maybe the first to start talking about the group stdiggling early in spring. This thread just gave fair reasoning for their struggles. As for the cb’s TS didn’t struggle and was a strength. Also it’s hard to judge cb’s giving ten yard cushions all day or just bailing.

Its amazing how people can read the same post and take negative or positives from it. It was equal pros and cons. Then reasoning for both.
Agreed 💯. I wasn’t being a pain in the *** this time (other than the pink elephant reference). Just laying out some of what I’ve been seeing in all these threads regarding the skepticism around the WR room.

I’m cautiously optimistic that there is enough talent in there, along with coaching, to make a difference on the field.

Advertisement
IF we on a 9 route and the ball in the air with a DB on my hip. There aint no overthinking about it....If ball hits your hands, there is no excuses. Any time the ball in the air it should be every WR should have the mentality to "Go get it".

There will be a lot of angry fans if this team loses 4 or more games. Would probably mean Miami would lose 2 out of Pittsburgh, UVA, UNC, FSU, Duke, GT, VT.
Well we can‘t overcome injuries in key spots, if that happens be prepared. It’ll take multiple classes to fix that. Unc and Pit will be tough if healthy.

Advertisement
Back