Leonard Taylor is now the 247 #3 player in the country...and Brashard Smith gets his 4th star...

Advertisement
Yep. At some point, it’s a production game, not a nerd measurables game. I had the same questions about Jon Ford when everyone was raving about his size. I wondered how a guy that much bigger and stronger than HS kids could put up such paltry production. Fast forward 5 years, and he’s still just a guy.

Again, I love this signing, so before the CISimps become unhinged, all I’m doing is discussing production on the field and how it can translate from level to level.
Jordan Miller I knew was a jag but everyone here thought he was some secret cause no one knew about him. They didn't know about him because he didn't do anything to make himself known....I mean obviously c'mon lol. But they though he was legit.....DT position evals haven't been to great as of recently.

Jordan Miller I knew was a jag but everyone here thought he was some secret cause no one knew about him. They didn't know about him because he didn't do anything to make himself known....I mean obviously c'mon lol. But they though he was legit.....DT position evals haven't been to great as of recently.
Taylor produced in hs tho. Last year he had 20 tfls and 4 sacks. His jr year he had 26 tfls and 11 sacks

Advertisement
Taylor produced in hs tho. Last year he had 20 tfls and 4 sacks. His jr year he had 26 tfls and 11 sacks
Yea Taylor is a way different prospect then those other names mentioned. Lets see if he lives up to the billing, I am not expecting anything ground breaking year 1 thats asking for way too much from the DT position. Its rare u find someone who is plug and play year 1 at DT, Ed Oliver was the one time I would believe who plugged and played at a star level year 1 at Houston.

4 sacks isn't great production for a guy with his size and ability against HS players unless he only played 2 games. His production was OK, but it doesn't match his rating or his hype. He should have absolutely been terrorizing overmatched HS kids.

Russell Maryland was crap in high school. So why I don't recall anyone raving about him, I think people like Ford and Miller get the benefit of the doubt because Maryland, that tight end moved to DT (Sapp), that WR/S we moved to D-end (Rousseau) etc.

We did sign a great lineman that never even played one snap there! (Alonzo Highsmith)

We really needed DT's that year (seems like every year nowadays) and literally struck out on basically everyone. They took a chance on the kid, I'm not writing him off yet, but our fans turned him into some unknown Goliath. A lot do it every single year, but he was a plan C or D kid.

Good for Miller though. He's been working on his body, has made some plays, and the rest is up to him. To me, he's done well for himself with the opportunity so far. He's not killing it, but he's much better than when he came in. So keep up the work young fella.

Advertisement
We really needed DT's that year (seems like every year nowadays) and literally struck out on basically everyone. They took a chance on the kid, I'm not writing him off yet, but our fans turned him into some unknown Goliath. A lot do it every single year, but he was a plan C or D kid.

Good for Miller though. He's been working on his body, has made some plays, and the rest is up to him. To me, he's done well for himself with the opportunity so far. He's not killing it, but he's much better than when he came in. So keep up the work young fella.
Yea he's going to make a life for himself can't get mad at that. He is what he always was and he's worked hard. As for being a star that's the problem with cis they make anyone we get a star and then the expectations become unrealistic.

Russell Maryland was crap in high school. So why I don't recall anyone raving about him, I think people like Ford and Miller get the benefit of the doubt because Maryland, that tight end moved to DT (Sapp), that WR/S we moved to D-end (Rousseau) etc.

We did sign a great lineman that never even played one snap there! (Alonzo Highsmith)
Different time man....the rankings are way better and more accurate now. Don't know about those times I do know that Maryland was probably always going to be a stud. Greg we knew could possibly be great alot of us thought he was underrated. I believed in Greg when I saw the film his frame was freakish.

I’ve hit and missed on so many players. Evals are a coin toss even for the high 4 and 5 stars. Once you start getting into the low four stars and high three stars the odds get even steeper.

Not too many Duke Johnson’s. Bosas or Patrick Johnson’s/Peterson’s out there. People talk about Butch being the greatest talent scout ever but he missed all the time.

Pickowski was one of the easier calls because he was being benched by his own coaches at IMG. He looked horrible in real games. His recruitment was my first real evidence the John Richt experiment was destined to failure.

Beyond his measurable and the way his coaches talk him up, Taylor was clutch in a couple of the post season games when Palmetto had zero offense and needed a stop. And Taylor was the guy who stepped up. I’m not expecting Sapp. But I do believe he’ll be a good one.

I’ve hit and missed on so many players. Evals are a coin toss even for the high 4 and 5 stars. Once you start getting into the low four stars and high three stars the odds get even steeper.

Not too many Duke Johnson’s. Bosas or Patrick Johnson’s/Peterson’s out there. People talk about Butch being the greatest talent scout ever but he missed all the time.

Pickowski was one of the easier calls because he was being benched by his own coaches at IMG. He looked horrible in real games. His recruitment was my first real evidence the John Richt experiment was destined to failure.

Beyond his measurable and the way his coaches talk him up, Taylor was clutch in a couple of the post season games when Palmetto had zero offense and needed a stop. And Taylor was the guy who stepped up. I’m not expecting Sapp. But I do believe he’ll be a good one.
Evaluating football players at the pro level is already a crapshoot, evaluating high school players is even harder.

Advertisement

??? Taylor is ****ting on Sapp bro

Advertisement
I wouldn’t give up on any of DL like Miller just yet. I am pretty sure they did not get the coaching this year from Stroud that they would normally in a Non-COVid year. I am not sure how familiar you are with Strouds medical condition but for most people it’s a death sentence. It is remarkable how he has fought it. Add in COVID and I am sure they were taking plenty of precautions with him which made it difficult to coach. I think you could see guys on the DL take a leep with some proper coaching from Jess!

Advertisement
Back