Leonard Taylor is now the 247 #3 player in the country...and Brashard Smith gets his 4th star...

Only recruits’ stats I worry about are skill positions personally. You need to see those guys produce and/or be efficient with the ball in their hands.

So many defensive recruits play mostly on O, or are 40 pounds less than they will be in a year, play on a trash team, etc.

Advertisement
They have played three games this season.

17 tackles, seven tackles for loss, a sack, a forced fumble, three pass deflections and a number of quarterback hurries while constantly being double teamed by opposing offensive linemen.

Y’all buggin
Those are OK numbers in 3 games, but you have no idea how many pressures he has because that's such a subjective stat. And I don't want to hear about double teaming in HS with 240 pound OL who won't be playing football at the next level.

I'm not going to let you guys turn this into me being anti-Leonard, though, because I'm happy he's a Cane. It's OK to discuss production and not just be a cheerleader for every recruit.

Those are OK numbers in 3 games, but you have no idea how many pressures he has because that's such a subjective stat. And I don't want to hear about double teaming in HS with 240 pound OL who won't be playing football at the next level.

I'm not going to let you guys turn this into me being anti-Leonard, though, because I'm happy he's a Cane. It's OK to discuss production and not just be a cheerleader for every recruit.
Nah you sound silly. Those are really good numbers for three games. You haven’t been to one game questioning production. Nobody is asking you to be a cheerleader. You’re questioning his production in three games that you haven’t watched or been to, yet those who have seen him play so it fit to make him the 3 player in the country!

My favorite part of this yearly is the indignation that so and so isn’t a 4 or 5 star and the person saying it has no idea what other players are like in comparison.

Advertisement
Watching the MNW game Taylor lived in the backfield. He was in the QBs face on **** near every play. Mello burned Marshall the whole game and the only reason he didn't go for 200+ with 3 TDs is because of Taylor. He's absolutely the truth and we're lucky to have him.

For those asking why the big OOS programs weren't hard after him, they were early on. Taylor and his mom were adamant about staying in Florida.

Love the 5 star hype and recruiting juice it gives us, but how can a guy with Leonard's massive athletic advantage over HS kids only have 1 sack? That kind of stuff always stands out to me when I'm looking at DL in HS. Do they actually produce?
Given the times and so forth, I think the standard UM "fan" reaction to your post will be "oh yeah? well why don't you just go root for another team, it's clear your no real Hurricane"....or something to that effect...and your talking about a dude that isn't even on the squad yet. :ROFLMAO:

Advertisement
Yeeeeaaahh..not sure I would get so caught up in stats this year for any recruit this side of a QB.

Someone said it best, LT is the #3 player in the nation and #1 and #2 arent even playing. I dont really care for him to go all out for a meaningless season that the FHSAA isnt even cosigning.

I dont want him to get hurt trying to put up monster DT numbers in a HS season that nobody will remember. I want him here 100% in good health. ***** what he is doing at Palmetto right now. No offense to the Palmetto fans.

Lol always nice to see the usual suspects find a way to criticize the #3 player in the country because he’s committed to us. If he was committed elsewhere though? Oh lord, he’d be the 2nd coming and it’d be a massive L for Manny losing him.

Never change CIS.

Nah you sound silly. Those are really good numbers for three games. You haven’t been to one game questioning production. Nobody is asking you to be a cheerleader. You’re questioning his production in three games that you haven’t watched or been to, yet those who have seen him play so it fit to make him the 3 player in the country!
You sound like a dope. Those are OK numbers for 3 HS games when you're such a phenomenal talent and considered one of the top players in the country. So go on and fck off now.

Advertisement
You sound like a dope. Those are OK numbers for 3 HS games when you're such a phenomenal talent and considered one of the top players in the country. So go on and fck off now.
The truth is somewhere in the middle. You’re not wrong chise but his tape shows his numbers don’t tell the whole story and those are still good numbers

Given the times and so forth, I think the standard UM "fan" reaction to your post will be "oh yeah? well why don't you just go root for another team, it's clear your no real Hurricane"....or something to that effect...and your talking about a dude that isn't even on the squad yet. :ROFLMAO:
Bunch of pansies on here running in like Jumping Jim Branzell looking to rescue the baby face when there's no need for rescue. It's just a discussion about production and how it relates to the next level. I love the Len Taylor pickup. Absolutely love it. No need for these queens to get in their feelings.

When I questioned Art Pickowski's production, the same group of mutts came running in screaming and eating their own feet. Now, fast forward two years, and all these guys are claiming they all knew Pickowski sucked even though I was one of the lone wolves at the time questioning his production.

Advertisement
The truth is somewhere in the middle. You’re not wrong chise but his tape shows his numbers don’t tell the whole story and those are still good numbers
They're good numbers for an average player, and I, admittedly, do not have access to, nor have I studied, the all-22 film, which is the only film that matters, not highlight tapes. I doubt many on here watched the all-22 either.

They're good numbers for an average player, and I, admittedly, do not have access to, nor have I studied, the all-22 film, which is the only film that matters, not highlight tapes. I doubt many on here watched the all-22 either.
I got ya. Your reasoning is justified.

I haven't watched the games either, but it might be possible to deduce a few things. Game 1 was vs Homestead, Palmetto was up 28-0 at halftime. My guess is Palmetto pulled their starters early since they didn't score again until the 4th quarter (final score 35-7). I can't tell if palmetto scored two TDs early in the 2nd and then the coach pulled his starters before the end of the 2nd quarter or if he played the whole half. So his numbers might have come in only 9 quarters of football (almost certainly no more than 10 quarters).

The score vs. Dr Phillips was 10-0. It doesn't appear that either team was throwing the ball, so that would mean sacks would be hard to come by.

HS football might have changed a lot from when I played, but back in the day we ran a Veer offense and rarely threw the ball. It doesn't matter how dominant a defensive lineman was, the stat sheet wasn't going to show a lot of sacks. If the QB was reading his key correctly, the DT wouldn't have many tackles either. However, he could have totally dominated the game without it showing on the stat sheet because he was penetrating into the backfield so fast it effectively took away the FB dive, which significantly reduced the offense's ability to move the ball.

I don't think someone can say he underperformed without a whole lot more context because it's possible he had a huge impact but it's not on paper (and as far as I know, HS stats don't track QB hurries so he could have been disrupting the offense significantly).

It's also big big difference between criticizing Pickowskis performance and a DTs performance. A QBs stats generally speak for themselves (there may be cases where a QBs numbers look significantly worse because the quality of the team around him is so bad but those are exceptions to the rule). On the other hand, I imagine you've seen enough football to see a DT totally blow up a game plan even though he doesn't put up great stats on the stat sheet.

17 tackles, seven TFLs, a sack, a forced fumble, and three pass deflections in just 2.5 games looks rather dominant to me (but I can't fairly judge until I watch the games)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back