LeBatard interview with Mario

If you grew up in Miami in the 70's, 80's and 90's—you grew up with dozens of Pipo's—making this bit absolutely hilarious.

Mario wasn't giving anything up on this call-in—and Pipo's loosened Cristobal up. Guarantee this is the most fun he's had with a call-in radio show, ever.

This was quintessential Miami and "305". Great bit. Light years better than Joe Rose throwing up softballs and lame question that will never be answered, while sucking up and whatever else he does.
Agreed as a native Miamian non Hispanic I loved it…you can see why he’s a good recruiter. Mario had a blast.

Advertisement
Can somebody explain to me why LeBatard is a snitch?
LeBatard, when he a reporter in Miami, was the person who aired all of our dirty laundry; player dorms, cars, partying, and most damaging, the Pell Grant scandal wherein a school admin (and father of a player) was helping students, not just players, to fraudulently obtain federal Pell Grants which are reserved for underprivileged people. Our first and most serious suspension in the 90’s kicked off and was largely brought about because of LeBatard’s reporting.

This reporting was also a spring board for the career of LeBatard. The baton was then passed to national publications like Sports Illustrated which devoted almost an entire issue to Miami with the headline about Miami dropping its football program. Someone on here will post the SI cover.
We certainly did not receive any favorable coverage from a home town reporter. And most of us felt that a story of the sort that LeBatard presented would never have occurred in a college town.

Program builder, thank the lord we got him. Building inside out on the field. Focusing on intellectual capital - Sports Science, training, analysts, sports psych, recruiting budget. Facilities take time (part of long term plan). @LuCane, I hope you’re dancing somewhere amigo.
The 400 page coaching thread is the early return on CIS’s focus on intellectual capital …

Did Dan actually write a story about the Pell Grants? I've always thought this was an urban legend type deal.

I personally like the Lebetard Show. I agree, he's not my favorite. I usually prefer everyone else, guests, etc. But he's a good ringleader. That said, when Dan is serious he actually does conduct good interviews. He's also one who doesn't shy away from asking uncomfortable questions which has gotten him in trouble with certain outlets. I normally don't take sports talk seriously, so that's why I'm usually cool with his show.

Last edited:
LeBatard, when he a reporter in Miami, was the person who aired all of our dirty laundry; player dorms, cars, partying, and most damaging, the Pell Grant scandal wherein a school admin (and father of a player) was helping students, not just players, to fraudulently obtain federal Pell Grants which are reserved for underprivileged people. Our first and most serious suspension in the 90’s kicked off and was largely brought about because of LeBatard’s reporting.

This reporting was also a spring board for the career of LeBatard. The baton was then passed to national publications like Sports Illustrated which devoted almost an entire issue to Miami with the headline about Miami dropping its football program. Someone on here will post the SI cover.
We certainly did not receive any favorable coverage from a home town reporter. And most of us felt that a story of the sort that LeBatard presented would never have occurred in a college town.
I think the Pell Grant article was Dave Hyde from the Sun-Sentinel. I am pretty sure he had the first, original article. Not LeBatard.

Not saying LeBatard didn’t have anything on it after the fact but the initial article, I think was Dave Hyde.

Advertisement
I think the Pell Grant article was Dave Hyde from the Sun-Sentinel. I am pretty sure he had the first, original article. Not LeBatard.

Not saying LeBatard didn’t have anything on it after the fact but the initial article, I think was Dave Hyde.
You maybe correct. I just remember how we were turned upon by our own. Its possible that my brain is stuck on LeBatard as the catalyst.

Did Dan actually write a story about the Pell Grants? I've always thought this was an urban legend type deal.

I personally like the Lebetard Show. I agree, he's nit my favorite. I prder everyone else, guests, etc. That said, when Dan is serious he actually dies conduct good interviews. He's also one who doesn't shy away from asking uncomfortable questions which has gotten him in trouble with certain outlets. I normally don't take sports talk seriously, so that's why I'm usually cool with his show.
I can’t say whether he wrote the first story on the Pell Grants as Pipo pointed out that it was Dave Hyde who “broke” that story. But it was a feeding frenzy and LeBatard was the one who seemed to gain the most personally from the scandal.

Needless to say that will be Mario's last interview on that podcast. Pipo was a tad bit too much.

Advertisement

That’s interesting, thank you for the response. I’m surprised he was on the U documentary, with that being the case. Were people ****ed about that? I would imagine they weren’t happy lol

Advertisement
I just like him saying no more slogans and bull****. It’s time to get to work.

Said there has been too much talk, misses in recruiting etc..

Spoke on Bama and Saban again. This **** is about to be ran so different I can’t wait to see

Just seeing if you heard the whole interview

I just posted a sound bite. But yeah, I'll make sure and check out the whole thing later

It's clear to me Mario wasnt coming here unless he felt he could be put into a position to win national titles...

Advertisement
This is exactly why people like LeBatard are so polarizing. Because it's different. Some people love it, some people hate it, but there's essentially no middle ground and it always generates interaction.

Howard Stern is the king of this.

I love LeBatard's show for this exact reason. If i wanted to listen to traditional sportstalk radio, I could turn on countless channels and hear the same boring bull****. People actually spend their time listening to Big O, or the Beast, or the rest of these completely boring and ordinary folks. A bunch of wet blankets. I personally don't love Dan, I think he's the worst part of the show, but it's a great radio show for the exact reasons I mentioned. If you wanna hear Mario answer the same questions he's been asked 500 times, turn on Joe Rose. If you want to laugh or at least be semi-entertained, for my money, give me LeBatard and the guys.
Well said. I personally think he is freaking funny

That’s interesting, thank you for the response. I’m surprised he was on the U documentary, with that being the case. Were people ****ed about that? I would imagine they weren’t happy lol
Yep but we’re almost resigned to it.
Some of us will never completely forgive LeBatard, Dave Hyde, and certainly not Sports Illustrated or its writer Alexander Wolff.

Advertisement
Back