Latest on Highsmith

Advertisement
I'm not inclined at all to give James the benefit of the doubt. He's awful. However, if there is any hesitation about hiring Alonzo, it'd be whether James could find someone who can be a better bridge between football and the administration/academia. Ideally, the "chief of staff" can play the administration deftly and politically to amass more resources. Can Alonzo play that role? Or will he be seen as a pure "football guy" and nothing more? I don't know.

Since I'm just speculating here, let me offer more speculation about a guy who I think could fit the bill . . . Gino Toretta. From his wiki page, "Torretta followed his NFL career with a position at Wachovia Securities as a Senior Financial Advisor. He is Chairman/CEO of Touchdown Radio, broadcasting an NCAA game of the week on national radio. He is also an NCAA football expert on Sirius/XM channel 91—College Sports Nation. Torretta is Vice President for GAMCO Asset Management, working with Institutional clients nationwide and working out of the firm's Palm Beach office." This is the type of background (football + corporate) of someone that could quietly pull strings with the non-football side in favor of the football side.

would love to see Torretta here as AD one day

I'm ready for some banners, billboards & boycotts. :very-drunk:

Somebody needs to organize a 24/7 heckling service full of knowledgeable volunteers that is motivated, consistent, factually driven, publicly seen/heard, organized, connected & stays on point. These BOT & Admin are easily rattled. They will cave.

I'm not inclined at all to give James the benefit of the doubt. He's awful. However, if there is any hesitation about hiring Alonzo, it'd be whether James could find someone who can be a better bridge between football and the administration/academia. Ideally, the "chief of staff" can play the administration deftly and politically to amass more resources. Can Alonzo play that role? Or will he be seen as a pure "football guy" and nothing more? I don't know.

Since I'm just speculating here, let me offer more speculation about a guy who I think could fit the bill . . . Gino Toretta. From his wiki page, "Torretta followed his NFL career with a position at Wachovia Securities as a Senior Financial Advisor. He is Chairman/CEO of Touchdown Radio, broadcasting an NCAA game of the week on national radio. He is also an NCAA football expert on Sirius/XM channel 91—College Sports Nation. Torretta is Vice President for GAMCO Asset Management, working with Institutional clients nationwide and working out of the firm's Palm Beach office." This is the type of background (football + corporate) of someone that could quietly pull strings with the non-football side in favor of the football side.

Very good post.

Advertisement
I'm ready for some banners, billboards & boycotts. :very-drunk:

Somebody needs to organize a 24/7 heckling service full of knowledgeable volunteers that is motivated, consistent, factually driven, publicly seen/heard, organized, connected & stays on point. These BOT & Admin are easily rattled. They will cave.

Lead by example.

Advertisement
Lead by example.

this city has more ponzi schemers than any where in the world. anytime someone put crowd funds a billboard, a person ends up on a vacay in bimini. wed never be able to do that.

also, the way the school will listen is if the golden canes stop donating. money talks and if you dont donate a dime or very little, they wont care. if you donate a crap ton and threaten to pull them, then youll get ears on you

If he's looking at other candidates, Torretta should be on that list. He is still connected with NCAA doing broadcasts for SIRIUS and like you mention having background in finances can't hurt either.

Advertisement
most if not all the recent reactions are to what barry tweeted last night, which was obviously from a program source. same source said that enos wasnt fired after reynolds scooped it (and uM tried to play it cool knowing they got outted)

Plausible explanation. I'm going to hold off jumping out my second story window.

most if not all the recent reactions are to what barry tweeted last night, which was obviously from a program source. same source said that enos wasnt fired after reynolds scooped it (and uM tried to play it cool knowing they got outted)
So what are you trying to say then?

Advertisement
So what are you trying to say then?

barry jackson isnt the source you want to hinge your hopes on. hes a good reporter, but hes a local PR piece for the teams. pay attention to the cleveland reporters today since dorsey is set to speak today. im sure there will be some clarity on Zos status there and his next moves. if something is happening, Barry wont be breaking the news. **** just come out with can confirm

I want a political player in this role. This isn't about Alonzo. We're putting too much hope on 1 guy. I mean, it's a good start but look around CFB. We're losing the war. Programs are spending a lot of money and putting a ton of resources into the football program. It's no surprise that it's the same few teams in the playoffs each year. Alonzo isn't going to fix this. He's 1 man. We need someone that can convince folks above the athletic department to open up the pocketbooks, amass financial resources and manpower, and create new job positions (e.g., an entire staff of nutritionists not just 1) to keep up.

barry jackson isnt the source you want to hinge your hopes on. hes a good reporter, but hes a local PR piece for the teams. pay attention to the cleveland reporters today since dorsey is set to speak today. im sure there will be some clarity on Zos status there and his next moves. if something is happening, Barry wont be breaking the news. **** just come out with can confirm
Yes but BJ said he is delaying hiring a CEO exec until after an OC is hired, so what else matters?! BJ (Blake James) is awful.

Seems strange that the Cleveland reporters would specifically say Zo was heading to Miami if there wasn't solid intel out there. Given what has transpired this season in Cleveland it's not a surprise that people are leaving. No reason to give a next destination. Also, F-CK BJ.

Advertisement
Back