Latest on Highsmith

The more I think about this potential hire, the more I wonder if its just a PR move by UM to further placate the fanbase.
Why would Highsmith leave the NFL where apparently he’s well regarded to run errands for the likes of Blake James and Manny Diaz? Im more inclined to believe that some big money donors said “enough” and are putting the squeeze play on.

Advertisement
I tend to agree. I just cannot see the SJW contingent at UM wanting to surrender any kind of power. Will they truly give him autonomy? If so, to do what?

Viewed another way: Alonzo Highsmith went from a middling front office position with Green Bay directly into a senior VP role with the Browns. Two years later he's out of work. This role could be a nice resume filler for him for a couple years until he can get back into the league. As well, once you work in a professional environment, its gotta be tough to go into the phony world of academia and have to get along with those people. Its gonna be a tough transition for him.
He’s not out of work. Not at this minute.

Advertisement
I fully understand the concept of this role. I do not however believe that Blake James and UM are willing and able to create this position and surrender the necessary amount of power needed for the person in that role to succeed.

This is my only concern as well, otherwise its a great move.

All I'm hearing in response to this so far is "You don't know Alonzo Highsmith, bro"

I fully understand the concept of this role. I do not however believe that Blake James and UM are willing and able to create this position and surrender the necessary amount of power needed for the person in that role to succeed.
I don’t disagree with you. Unfortunately I agree. Small hope is Blake either was told or realized that his job is in a very precarious position unless he brings in someone who knows football and let’s that person take it over.

Advertisement
Why would Highsmith leave the NFL where apparently he’s well regarded to run errands for the likes of Blake James and Manny Diaz? Im more inclined to believe that some big money donors said “enough” and are putting the squeeze play on.

Its my understanding that Highsmith is about to be let go by the Browns. As for other potential NFL jobs, Im not aware if he is looking or would be a candidate. Again, Im leaving open the possibility that this role will be a resume filler for Highsmith.

Look I'd love to be wrong about this stuff.... Its just that I so rarely am. :happy:

I tend to agree. I just cannot see the SJW contingent at UM wanting to surrender any kind of power. Will they truly give him autonomy? If so, to do what?

Viewed another way: Alonzo Highsmith went from a middling front office position with Green Bay directly into a senior VP role with the Browns. Two years later he's out of work. This role could be a nice resume filler for him for a couple years until he can get back into the league. As well, once you work in a professional environment, its gotta be tough to go into the phony world of academia and have to get along with those people. Its gonna be a tough transition for him.

I'd be shocked if he is coming to be a "yes man". He still has to answer to somebody, maybe BOT, President, maybe James? But that doesn't mean he will not be given the resources, authority, and accountability he needs to do his job. That said I'd be curious to see the job description. Must be something they had to create for his position.

Advertisement
Its my understanding that Highsmith is about to be let go by the Browns. As for other potential NFL jobs, Im not aware if he is looking or would be a candidate. Again, Im leaving open the possibility that this role will be a resume filler for Highsmith.

Look I'd love to be wrong about this stuff.... Its just that I so rarely am. :happy:

Top 5 worst poster on this site

Advertisement

Stroud has the position last year? Not sure he would’ve had the impact Highsmith would have now. Because why would he leave the NFL to be a PR stunt?

Its always been my understanding that Vinnie Testaverde checked out of the run play that was called by Gary Stevens.
"the" run play? It wasn't one play that lost us that game, it was the fact that we went away from alonzo for almost the entire 4th, that we lost.

Fair enough. And frightening, if true.

Advertisement
Back