Latest on Highsmith

Advertisement
No way in **** Alonzo takes the job knowing he would have to report to that quivering ***** Flake.

Brother, after 2 decades of watching this program self inflict destruction upon itself via an intersection of stupidity and apathy.....I take NOTHING for granted at this point. Until we don't hear OFFICIALLY that Highsmith reports directly to the BOT, I'm not assuming a **** thing in regards to this supposed hire.

We are dealing with THE most disfunctional unathletic department in the country.

The more I think about this potential hire, the more I wonder if its just a PR move by UM to further placate the fanbase.

What does that even mean? It's a smart hire because it means Miami is finally beginning to understand that football is a business. Most pro teams don't have just a GM doing everything from setting ticket prices to authorizing staff changes. They have Team Presidents, VP of Ops, Chief of Scouting, etc. Its too much for one guy. Now imagine that for a dozen sports. Yes, lots of ADs don't have someone with the title "Director of Football." That is because those ADs preside over massive publically funded athletic departments and the duties of a FB Director are delegated to dozens of underlings. Miami doesn't have those resources.

So if James recognizes that he doesn't have the support staff he needs, what else is he supposed to do? He goes out and finds the best football mind he can. Would he prefer to hire 15 new underlings each having an aspect of the FB Director job instead of a well-respected guy who is going to get the BOT's benefit of the doubt instead of BJ's? Probably. But Miami doesn't have that luxury. So BJ is actually making a sound business decision by bringing in Highsmith. It has nothing to do with making fans happy.

So basically you want to employ a HC to not be a HC? Why? Just fire him and get a real coach.

Zo has to fire this clown first order of business, otherwise hes just another patsy.

Never put anyone on ignore before but you are getting close. Your constant negativity is tiring and you are probably a troll.

Or you just need a girl friend or significant other in your life to show they care about you and give you purpose.

Or you are reaching the developmental end stages of life and are going through existential angst.

In any case just stay out of my posts and I will stay out of yours. Deal?

Advertisement
Let's just call it like it is. Whether it's Highsmith or Bill Walsh, if this mythical position reports to the clown show that is Blake James and can't make decisions WITHOUT that imbecile's approval.....then this hire is just a dog and pony show that many of the DBJ morons will eat up but the rest of us will know spells the end of this program.

BLAKE JAMES TIES TO THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM MUST BE SEVERED. PERIOD.

I tend to agree. I just cannot see the SJW contingent at UM wanting to surrender any kind of power. Will they truly give him autonomy? If so, to do what?

Viewed another way: Alonzo Highsmith went from a middling front office position with Green Bay directly into a senior VP role with the Browns. Two years later he's out of work. This role could be a nice resume filler for him for a couple years until he can get back into the league. As well, once you work in a professional environment, its gotta be tough to go into the phony world of academia and have to get along with those people. Its gonna be a tough transition for him.

I tend to agree. I just cannot see the SJW contingent at UM wanting to surrender any kind of power. Will they truly give him autonomy? If so, to do what?

Viewed another way: Alonzo Highsmith went from a middling front office position with Green Bay directly into a senior VP role with the Browns. Two years later he's out of work. This role could be a nice resume filler for him for a couple years until he can get back into the league. As well, once you work in a professional environment, its gotta be tough to into the phony world of academia and have to get along with those people. Its gonna be a tough transition for him.

the only reason he may be out at cleveland is bc their QB has been utter trash this year

Advertisement
The more I think about this potential hire, the more I wonder if its just a PR move by UM to further placate the fanbase.

Can it be that and more? Yes, it seems they were listening to the fan base but this move makes sense on many levels more than just placating a rabid fan base.

Deep seated hatred is personal, man. It's not really personally your program, though as a fan I know where you are coming from. It's not like he intentionally set out to sabotage the program. He was on his way to Temple this time last year. He should not have been hired to begin with. Let him learn ojt at another lesser program not here. But as a fan I root for success of the team which includes whoever the HC is.

Rooting for the team regardless of who is coach is independent of having a “deep seeded hatred” for Manny as a coach. Stop getting so triggered over my personal sentiment of Manny who cares? I don’t know manny personally so I can’t hate him personally and again it doesn’t matter.

what matters is we lost to f*cking FIU dude... FIU!

Advertisement
What does that even mean? It's a smart hire because it means Miami is finally beginning to understand that football is a business. Most pro teams don't have just a GM doing everything from setting ticket prices to authorizing staff changes. They have Team Presidents, VP of Ops, Chief of Scouting, etc. Its too much for one guy. Now imagine that for a dozen sports. Yes, lots of ADs don't have someone with the title "Director of Football." That is because those ADs preside over massive publically funded athletic departments and the duties of a FB Director are delegated to dozens of underlings. Miami doesn't have those resources.

So if James recognizes that he doesn't have the support staff he needs, what else is he supposed to do? He goes out and finds the best football mind he can. Would he prefer to hire 15 new underlings each having an aspect of the FB Director job instead of a well-respected guy who is going to get the BOT's benefit of the doubt instead of BJ's? Probably. But Miami doesn't have that luxury. So BJ is actually making a sound business decision by bringing in Highsmith. It has nothing to do with making fans happy.

I fully understand the concept of this role. I do not however believe that Blake James and UM are willing and able to create this position and surrender the necessary amount of power needed for the person in that role to succeed.

Advertisement
I fully understand the concept of this role. I do not however believe that Blake James and UM are willing and able to create this position and surrender the necessary amount of power needed for the person in that role to succeed.
Success, or not, is derived from the power and authority to do something in this role for Zo.
If it is a figurehead deal, then we are whistling in the dark, waiting for other show to drop when James walks out the door.

It’ll actually be the first time we’ve had somebody overqualified to oversee football here. Normally it’s under qualified.

Exactly. Went from scout to lead scout to VP of player personnel. Learned from the best in Greenbay even if he wasn't an ex-Cane I'd be ecstatic.

Viewed another way: Alonzo Highsmith went from a middling front office position with Green Bay directly into a senior VP role with the Browns. Two years later he's out of work. This role could be a nice resume filler for him for a couple years until he can get back into the league. As well, once you work in a professional environment, its gotta be tough to go into the phony world of academia and have to get along with those people. Its gonna be a tough transition for him.

I'm a skeptic by nature so I don't disagree with anything you're saying....but being a UM fan for as long as I have been, I'm looking at the bigger picture.

I don't care if this mythical "director of football operations" or whatever the **** they are going to call this position is awarded to Mickey Mouse. What I care about is the position is FREE of Blake's control. That along would give me hope for the future as it would create separation between the incompetent imbecile that is Blake James and the football program.

I'm dying over here. I'll take a small win at this point. All I want is Blake James and his cast of SJW ******** as far removed from the football program as possible. I'm going to withhold all excitement until we don't know FOR SURE that the new position being created can operate WITHOUT Blake James blessing.

Advertisement
Back