Late thoughts on CCSU game

I’m sorry but Troutman does not look like a Miami Caliber LB. Good thumper on special teams but He’s so small

TAC on the other hand I thought did and is hopefully our future at MLB

Interesting take... being that they are both the same size.

Advertisement
I mentioned something similar in another thread. We need those plays.

My opinion is the same as many others have already stated: D’Eriq King was a godsend to this program. Like Christopher Molsisanti said about Tony, I would follow that man into ****. That said, defenses have figured King out and our staff (on both sides of the ball) doesn't adjust.

What do good QB mechanics from Garcia have to do with defenses figuring out King? Well, that is my way of saying that our lack of a QB that can make the throws is on full display and hamstrings this offense.

I don't claim to be an Xs and Os expert. But when watching Lance, Ro, SteveO, etc break down the games, it becomes fairly clear that the offensive scheme isn't nearly as bad as the defensive scheme. Guys just aren't executing. It starts with the OL, but the entire offense is failing Lashlee - drops, King tucking too early, RBs (harris) not hitting holes... I would like to see Lashlee adapt and adjust more, but I am at the point where I honestly don't know what he can do if the execution is this bad.

Back to the mechanics...

Get the ball to playmakers in space. That concept is not hard to grasp. That is one area Miami will ALWAYS have an advantage over the Georgia Tech's of the world - those middling ACC teams (and Mich State-type teams) will never have the team speed that Miami has. Garcia & TVD, by being more traditional QBs with some mobility/athleticism, are much more suited to run this Lashlee offense than King is, IMO. Obviously easier said than done, but I think we saw a glimpse when Kosi came in during the bowl game, and Garcia/TVD should be Kosi/Lashlee offense on steroids.

TBD, obvoiusly. But if you have a QB, you have a shot at the ACC. Clemson is showing that to be true this season.

Being a runner and even straight line speed are not the primary traits I look for in a QB's movements, but maybe I'm reading more into Lashlee's comments. Ryan Tanny is a + "athlete" and was even a WR in college. In the open field, he can really run in a straight line. He can barely move off his spot in the pocket, though.

I rather have any non-runner QB who can bounce around in the pocket. Maybe that's mental processing? Maybe it's just early game discomfort? But, it's hard to "trick" short area movements. You either move your *** off the spot or you don't. And, some "great athletes" can barely manage their pocket. Jalen Hurts is a great athlete. I rather watch anything else other than his constant backward drifting into oblivion.

Again, none of this is to say Garcia can even do these things or TVD cannot. We've seen them COMBINE for less than 30 pass attempts against teams trying to do bad things to them.
This. All offseason we were told Bryce Young wasnt mobile, cant run and was a sitting duck. But for some reason we couldnt lay a hand on the kid even when he stood in the pocket. He moved around in that pocket effortless. Give me that all day if that is what we are getting in Garcia.

DMoney, take a listen of Lashlee's press conference yesterday. Sure seems he thinks the media is selling TVD short on ability to move.
I've always thought TVD was the much better athlete. It's still too early to make judgments, just making an observation in the limited sample.

Advertisement
I was one of the few that stayed until the clock read 0. I don't want to make any assessments from that game b/c CCSU might as well have fielded a team of us posters, but I too was impressed with Troutman. He did appear undersized but appeared to be a heat seeking missile. Curious to see how he develops. I was also impressed with Jalen Harrell. I know some here don't think he has the speed to play safety, but he looked aggressive chasing after the ball carrier and tackling.
This iw as at the game too...and havent seen anyone mention he or Dunson who both looked solid in their time on the back end.

Troutman is little. 5'10-5'11 195 tops but he will be a nice special teams guy for awhile.

*Mcclaughlin looked big as **** from my vantage point, and Big Baby Seymore got reps at center which i liked to see.

The CCSU game was a good real game Scrimmage for our young Pups and to push the reset button for the coaching staff…We shall see how and IF it helps Our team moving forward…especially starting Thursday…We have Very good talented young Men on both sides of the ball..that need to play N Heavy rotation moving forward…it’s just what the doctor ordered..Let’s Go **** it..

This iw as at the game too...and havent seen anyone mention he or Dunson who both looked solid in their time on the back end.

Troutman is little. 5'10-5'11 195 tops but he will be a nice special teams guy for awhile.

*Mcclaughlin looked big as **** from my vantage point, and Big Baby Seymore got reps at center which i liked to see.
Speaking of Dunson, wasn't he at safety?? I thought he was a CB?

Advertisement
I think CCU was like a pick up game in youth basketball... you can skill drill your players to death but until they get some real court time, they will never grow enough to think on their feet during a game. Weak as the opponent may have been, it really helped the young 'uns more than the experienced players.

Game did more harm then good , we now think we can kick sand in major college faces , what another rude awakening were in for.

Thinking we’re the 2001 Canes , when actually we’re a just terribly weak minded team whom took there frustration out on small subdivision college team whom needed couple hundred grand badly enough to be a sacrificial lamb.

When actually we’re the sacrificial lamb now teams want on there schedule

Speaking of Dunson, wasn't he at safety?? I thought he was a CB?
In this game he only played safety if you noticed and it stuck out to me....because he was a cb i thought the whole time. Maybe because of the Balom, Hall, Avantae Williams being out..but he looked like a rangy *** guy out there. Harrell is big and ran the alley real well to get in on a few tackles. The safeties we have look like they belong when the 3rd string guys look like Harrell and Dunson imo. That position group has alot of talent....because im HIGH as **** on James and Kam Kichens.

*I think with us getting James alot of people underestimated or didnt value Kam....I knew from day 1 he would challenge for reps...his Football IQ has been through the roof since high school Ive always comped him as Jaquan Johnson.

heres one thing

we had five tackles for loss and allowed them to score 0 points.

HUH I GUESS THEY DONT MATTER AS MUCH DO THEY MANNY

randy marsh GIF by South Park

Advertisement
Game did more harm then good , we now think we can kick sand in major college faces , what another rude awakening were in for.

Thinking we’re the 2001 Canes , when actually we’re a just terribly weak minded team whom took there frustration out on small subdivision college team whom needed couple hundred grand badly enough to be a sacrificial lamb.

When actually we’re the sacrificial lamb now teams want on there schedule
Pipe down bucko, no realistic poster thinks any of that.

small sample size but thad franklin is the first back at UM since Walton that I dont see run into piles, deejay didnt on outside runs, even Cody was running into traffic , tbd but Franklin may have better vision than most

Advertisement
CCSU is bad enough to lose to the Noles, but at least we stayed healthy. Don't think this game tells us anything about the rest of the season, so my thoughts are mostly limited to the young guys:

- The story of Miami football, besides Manny's status, is going to be TVD v. Garcia. Both guys looked like they did in practice against an overmatched opponent. TVD is big, makes NFL throws and runs the offense with efficiency. He deserves to remain the starter right now. Garcia has the better release and has more of a gunslinger mentality. The biggest surprise to me is that Garcia plays more athletic than TVD. I would have thought the opposite out of high school.

- The running backs showed what they could do with minimal resistance. Cam has six 50+ TDs in his career due to his straight-line speed. Cody Brown is physical, efficient in his cuts and a winning player. Thad, to me, is the most talented of the three. He has elite size with unique coordination as a former QB/hooper. If he worked like the other two this summer, he'd be the top guy.

- The future is bright at WR. Romello Brinson, Brashard Smith, Jacolby George and Xavier Restrepo all showed different skillsets. I like their physicality at a young age, especially when you throw in Arroyo.

- The future is bright on defense with James Williams, Chase Smith and Kam Kinchens. Freshmen will make mistakes, but the good ones find themselves around the ball and all three of these guys are easy to spot. Williams in particular seems to have outstanding instincts and coachability as a 5-star freak. They need to stay in the lineup.

- Leonard Taylor is not as ready. DT is a position where you need a moustache. With that said, he should keep getting snaps for the sake of the future. Jordan Miller might be the better player now but he doesn't move the needle.

- The pass rush remains my biggest concern, along with linebacker. Nobody is flashing there. Chantz is the most talented but he still lacks the craft to consistently beat his man. Most of his production is in chaos based off pure speed and effort.

- Deshawn Troutman and Malik Curtis both made nice tackles on kickoff. Troutman in general is impressive. The negatives are that he is tiny and needs to keep his temper in check. But the guy packs a punch and appears to have good instincts. Avery Huff, on the other hand, missed an opportunity.

- Salute to CCSU's punter. He was a stud and allowed us to have some longer drives.
Sad that there's not many glaring positives on the front-seven of the defense. But that horse has been beaten to death.

Neither Garcia or tvd are runners. JG is more willing but if you line them up to race tvd is faster. That being said neither guy is busting 4.6’s or even 4.7‘s for that matter.

Advertisement
Back