Late thoughts on CCSU game

Advertisement
TVD scores on that run Garcia had
Maybe. Probably.

To me and more importantly, what was impressive was Garcia's decision-making, not the run itself. King is an excellent runner and TVD might be more athletic, but do they consistently make the right reads?

King struggles with the read option and it's too early to crown TVD despite his rumored athleticism. However, we now know Garcia is capable of making the right read.

What was said exactly. Would love to learn more about what they think. All I heard about was TVD's athleticism. It's entirely too small a sample since I don't watch practice anymore, but I did not see what I expected from the rumors - at least, in his short area movements.
Rhett Lashlee with a smile: "Jake (Garcia)'s tricked you guys if he's made you think he's more mobile than Tyler (Van Dyke). They're not bad athletes, they're just not really runners."

That was his answer when asked about play calling for Garcia having more athleticism....that Garcia has tricked you into thinking that. Lashlee sees them everyday in practice....

How about someone from the media ask a defensive player in one of the interviews what they think...,,, Guess it does not matter, we will know more Thursday night.
Thanks for the info. It's hard to "trick" short area movements. Would need to see a lot more snaps to have a fair view.

And, I completely concede they watch them in practice everyday. Our coaches also watch Amari Carter in practice and apparently think he'll succeed in the open field. Not our fault their opinions have been undermined by the play we see in 11 on 11 live contact against teams who don't want you to succeed. But, to be fair, *everyone* has told me how athletic TVD has been. Don't know what I must've missed in this game. On the other hand, TVD validated everyone saying he has a strong arm. He actually showed that multiple times. Look forward to the next couple games.

Have to believe that Jess Simpson will begin to have an effect on the DEs at some point. My understanding is that he coached DTs in the NFL, so I guess that explains why DT isn't a worrisome area. But if he can't make chicken salad out of Harvey, Johnson and McCloud then I hope he turns to Chantz and Roberts more often so they can develop.

Advertisement
What was said exactly. Would love to learn more about what they think. All I heard about was TVD's athleticism. It's entirely too small a sample since I don't watch practice anymore, but I did not see what I expected from the rumors - at least, in his short area movements.
I am speculating because I haven't really seen these guys outside of the CCSU game, but, IMO, Garcia is a more natural QB and may play faster than TVD, who looks like he may overthink a bit on the field. Might be different off the field in a race, shuttle, agility test, but my initial impression reminds me of the Bane line: Garcia was born in it; TVD adopted it. We're all gonna learn a lot on Thursday.

Rhett Lashlee with a smile: "Jake (Garcia)'s tricked you guys if he's made you think he's more mobile than Tyler (Van Dyke). They're not bad athletes, they're just not really runners."
Being a runner and even straight line speed are not the primary traits I look for in a QB's movements, but maybe I'm reading more into Lashlee's comments. Ryan Tanny is a + "athlete" and was even a WR in college. In the open field, he can really run in a straight line. He can barely move off his spot in the pocket, though.

I rather have any non-runner QB who can bounce around in the pocket. Maybe that's mental processing? Maybe it's just early game discomfort? But, it's hard to "trick" short area movements. You either move your *** off the spot or you don't. And, some "great athletes" can barely manage their pocket. Jalen Hurts is a great athlete. I rather watch anything else other than his constant backward drifting into oblivion.

Again, none of this is to say Garcia can even do these things or TVD cannot. We've seen them COMBINE for less than 30 pass attempts against teams trying to do bad things to them.

Advertisement
Being a runner and even straight line speed are not the primary traits I look for in a QB's movements, but maybe I'm reading more into Lashlee's comments. Ryan Tanny is a + "athlete" and was even a WR in college. In the open field, he can really run in a straight line. He can barely move off his spot in the pocket, though.

I rather have any non-runner QB who can bounce around in the pocket. Maybe that's mental processing? Maybe it's just early game discomfort? But, it's hard to "trick" short area movements. You either move your *** off the spot or you don't. And, some "great athletes" can barely manage their pocket. Jalen Hurts is a great athlete. I rather watch anything else other than his constant backward drifting into oblivion.

Again, none of this is to say Garcia can even do these things or TVD cannot. We've seen them COMBINE for less than 30 pass attempts against teams trying to do bad things to them.
yea, they also need to play. They don't get to practice pocket movement and escaping as much as they should in practice when the whistle gets blown to eliminate QB contact. Garcia got plenty of reps in last year in HS while TVD really has not played since late 2019. There could be some growing pains as they get this experience.

Funny you mention Tannehill. That's precisely who I speculate TVD is. (But like you say, it's early.)

Advertisement
Moustache?
catching ben stiller GIF

This is what I'm thinking. Garcia is playing faster. TVD is the much better athlete per testing and multi-sport background but we haven't seen it in full contact yet.

Still extremely early.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back