Late thoughts on CCSU game

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
CCSU is bad enough to lose to the Noles, but at least we stayed healthy. Don't think this game tells us anything about the rest of the season, so my thoughts are mostly limited to the young guys:

- The story of Miami football, besides Manny's status, is going to be TVD v. Garcia. Both guys looked like they did in practice against an overmatched opponent. TVD is big, makes NFL throws and runs the offense with efficiency. He deserves to remain the starter right now. Garcia has the better release and has more of a gunslinger mentality. The biggest surprise to me is that Garcia plays more athletic than TVD. I would have thought the opposite out of high school.

- The running backs showed what they could do with minimal resistance. Cam has six 50+ TDs in his career due to his straight-line speed. Cody Brown is physical, efficient in his cuts and a winning player. Thad, to me, is the most talented of the three. He has elite size with unique coordination as a former QB/hooper. If he worked like the other two this summer, he'd be the top guy.

- The future is bright at WR. Romello Brinson, Brashard Smith, Jacolby George and Xavier Restrepo all showed different skillsets. I like their physicality at a young age, especially when you throw in Arroyo.

- The future is bright on defense with James Williams, Chase Smith and Kam Kinchens. Freshmen will make mistakes, but the good ones find themselves around the ball and all three of these guys are easy to spot. Williams in particular seems to have outstanding instincts and coachability as a 5-star freak. They need to stay in the lineup.

- Leonard Taylor is not as ready. DT is a position where you need a moustache. With that said, he should keep getting snaps for the sake of the future. Jordan Miller might be the better player now but he doesn't move the needle.

- The pass rush remains my biggest concern, along with linebacker. Nobody is flashing there. Chantz is the most talented but he still lacks the craft to consistently beat his man. Most of his production is in chaos based off pure speed and effort.

- Deshawn Troutman and Malik Curtis both made nice tackles on kickoff. Troutman in general is impressive. The negatives are that he is tiny and needs to keep his temper in check. But the guy packs a punch and appears to have good instincts. Avery Huff, on the other hand, missed an opportunity.

- Salute to CCSU's punter. He was a stud and allowed us to have some longer drives.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I noticed Garcia's release when watching Roman's breakdown. Ro froze it to show Garcia's mobility in the pocket, but I noticed his release point: Left foot pointed at the target, hips rotated clear through, torso square to the target, bicep tucked in tight next to the head, beautiful high release point.

Haven't seen these type of QB mechanics since Kaaya.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 68
CCSU is bad enough to lose to the Noles, but at least we stayed healthy. Don't think this game tells us anything about the rest of the season, so my thoughts are mostly limited to the young guys:

- The story of Miami football, besides Manny's status, is going to be TVD v. Garcia. Both guys looked like they did in practice against an overmatched opponent. TVD is big, makes NFL throws and runs the offense with efficiency. He deserves to remain the starter right now. Garcia has the better release and has more of a gunslinger mentality. The biggest surprise to me is that Garcia plays more athletic than TVD. I would have thought the opposite out of high school.

- The running backs showed what they could do with minimal resistance. Cam has six 50+ TDs in his career due to his straight-line speed. Cody Brown is physical, efficient in his cuts and a winning player. Thad, to me, is the most talented of the three. He has elite size with unique coordination as a former QB/hooper. If he worked like the other two this summer, he'd be the top guy.

- The future is bright at WR. Romello Brinson, Brashard Smith, Jacolby George and Xavier Restrepo all showed different skillsets. I like their physicality at a young age, especially when you throw in Arroyo.

- The future is bright on defense with James Williams, Chase Smith and Kam Kinchens. Freshmen will make mistakes, but the good ones find themselves around the ball and all three of these guys are easy to spot. Williams in particular seems to have outstanding instincts and coachability as a 5-star freak. They need to stay in the lineup.

- Leonard Taylor is not as ready. DT is a position where you need a moustache. With that said, he should keep getting snaps for the sake of the future. Jordan Miller might be the better player now but he doesn't move the needle.

- The pass rush remains my biggest concern, along with linebacker. Nobody is flashing there. Chantz is the most talented but he still lacks the craft to consistently beat his man. Most of his production is in chaos based off pure speed and effort.

- Deshawn Troutman and Malik Curtis both made nice tackles on kickoff. Troutman in general is impressive. The negatives are that he is tiny and needs to keep his temper in check. But the guy packs a punch and appears to have good instincts. Avery Huff, on the other hand, missed an opportunity.

- Salute to CCSU's punter. He was a stud and allowed us to have some longer drives.
Lashlee even said Garcia tricked us into thinking he's more athletic then TVD

Advertisement
Moustache?

Long in the tooth.

DT is a position that's rarely impacted by a true freshman. Not apples to apples because of course the DL was much more talented then, but Vince Wilfork started zero (0) games his first TWO seasons here. It takes time. I made a thread Saturday afternoon after the rewatch that 56 was simply not ready, and of course I was crucified because, if you even insinuate that there's a remote possibility the staff is doing any singular thing that makes sense, you're tarred and feathered around here. But he's not. He needs to split Miller's reps, IMO. Not take them, but if Miller is playing 20 snaps a game, it should be like 10 and 10 between him and Taylor. Stud prospect, elite ceiling....18 year old kid who clearly needs more work and time.

I noticed Garcia's release when watching Roman's breakdown. Ro froze it to show Garcia's mobility in the pocket, but I noticed his release point: Left foot pointed at the target, hips rotated clear through, torso square to the target, bicep tucked in tight next to the head, beautiful high release point.

Haven't seen these type of QB mechanics since Kaaya.
I mentioned something similar in another thread. We need those plays.

Advertisement
I was one of the few that stayed until the clock read 0. I don't want to make any assessments from that game b/c CCSU might as well have fielded a team of us posters, but I too was impressed with Troutman. He did appear undersized but appeared to be a heat seeking missile. Curious to see how he develops. I was also impressed with Jalen Harrell. I know some here don't think he has the speed to play safety, but he looked aggressive chasing after the ball carrier and tackling.

Advertisement
Lashlee even said Garcia tricked us into thinking he's more athletic then TVD
What was said exactly. Would love to learn more about what they think. All I heard about was TVD's athleticism. It's entirely too small a sample since I don't watch practice anymore, but I did not see what I expected from the rumors - at least, in his short area movements.

DMoney, take a listen of Lashlee's press conference yesterday. Sure seems he thinks the media is selling TVD short on ability to move.

What was said exactly. Would love to learn more about what they think. All I heard about was TVD's athleticism. It's entirely too small a sample since I don't watch practice anymore, but I did not see what I expected from the rumors - at least, in his short area movements.
That was his answer when asked about play calling for Garcia having more athleticism....that Garcia has tricked you into thinking that. Lashlee sees them everyday in practice....

How about someone from the media ask a defensive player in one of the interviews what they think...,,, Guess it does not matter, we will know more Thursday night.

Advertisement
Back