Last Chance fsU new season starts today.

The coach reminds me of pretty much every single assistant (and even some head coaches) in south Florida high schools.

Advertisement
Advertisement
First off, many of you are forgetting this doc is called "Last Chance U" not "JUCO U". Dude these kids who are even at these schools are on there last leg! This is it for them. If they don't make it there, they might as well go home and bag groceries.

Carlos Thompson was 22 still trying to live the dream!

Even Bobby bruces own position coach said in so many words he didn't have a chance in **** to make it D1. Maybe he could catch on D2. Sounds like he didn't and because of a lack of mental toughness got into trouble and now is facing charges.

Nobody wanted to touch Malik Henry and that school was probably the ONLY school that would take him. Got posters on here making it seem like he had all these options. His own dad said he should have just sat out the season. He didn't say he should have went to another school..why? Because Independence was the only school that would even give him a shot. And remember JB said he took him as a favor to Henrys mentor. So even he really didn't want him.

That said, Boyd and Bowman were clearly D1 talents so not surprised they caught on to big time programs. Good season overall.

JB doesn't come off too well. Fat white former Blood from Compton with a drinking problem? Doesn't seem like the best type of dude to have around absolute morons.

Where is Henry going? I wouldn't want him here at all but he can play. Is he staying at Indy? I would think Henry is good enough to get Marshall or Akron offers even with the attitude and rumored drug and mental problems.

You either get it, or you don't.

Thats not an insult your way...I think you just need to have met and associated with a Coach Brown type to get it. The presentation doesn't match the intention. I'm sure it comes off poorly, and he isn't a saint, but that is the way he interacts with that demographic. If you compare and contrast Brown to Buddy from EMCC, there are a lot of similarities, but ultimately the intent and authenticity between the two couldn't be further apart.

He reminds me of countless Miami-Dade Pop Warner coaches, and thats not an insult at either.

Advertisement
First off, many of you are forgetting this doc is called "Last Chance U" not "JUCO U". Dude these kids who are even at these schools are on there last leg! This is it for them. If they don't make it there, they might as well go home and bag groceries.

Carlos Thompson was 22 still trying to live the dream!

Even Bobby bruces own position coach said in so many words he didn't have a chance in **** to make it D1. Maybe he could catch on D2. Sounds like he didn't and because of a lack of mental toughness got into trouble and now is facing charges.

Nobody wanted to touch Malik Henry and that school was probably the ONLY school that would take him. Got posters on here making it seem like he had all these options. His own dad said he should have just sat out the season. He didn't say he should have went to another school..why? Because Independence was the only school that would even give him a shot. And remember JB said he took him as a favor to Henrys mentor. So even he really didn't want him.

That said, Boyd and Bowman were clearly D1 talents so not surprised they caught on to big time programs. Good season overall.

Malik Henry is broken. He really didn't have a ton of options. Radio Willie (@Oregon and @FSU) and HERM were the only two really on him. I think Ole Miss had recruiters visit him at Indy a few times as well.

He's got arm talent and clearly has a great mind for the game...but he's BROKEN mentally. In one of the latter episodes, when they get a real glimpse of Brown going through tape, he's breaking down how he sees Malik...one fragment of what wasn't touched upon enough in the series...that the team was a bad mix of kids, Brown knew it (said it very early in the season), and as a result, he looks like a much worse coach than he really is. If he had anyone else at QB, Malik Henry would have never sniffed the field after the on-field altercation with him.

Maybe because I've been around Coach Brown types while coaching, I see through presentation and get him a little better. He's not a bad coach...I think early on he realized this was going to be a disaster due to personnel and tried a lot of weird **** and put up with bull**** that he otherwise never would have. He tosses Kingston Davis when he realizes he has two other backs and Davis ran out of rope to hang himself. He couldn't quite do that at other positions.

These Last Chance U stories are great. You see a lot of former five stars and get a glimpse of what happens to them and why many of them fail. Its not for a lack of talent, but because they are broken in some way. Mentally, most of the time. Terrible students that can't hack the other half of their life (school). They can't handle the social aspect of their lives either. If its not football, they wipe their *** with it.

While I do agree, the NCAA and College Football in general milk these guys for everything they got (Ms. Pinkard killed it with that monologue with Bobby Bruce late in the season about academics), they do offer - perhaps - the last avenue of these men have at being something other than whatever it was they were to be at home (drugs, gangs, unemployed, lower class, etc)...5% of High School Seniors go on to play NCAA football...two percent of those get a shot to play in the league...after they graduate high school, its less than .1% odds they even sniff a single paycheck playing ball, nevermind being able to make a career out of it. However, every single man on that Indy roster has that dream still. And even though they have the dream, while they strive for it, they can still get that safety net of a college degree, but they just wipe their *** with it. Its a shame, really. They put all of their eggs in one basket and for all but a select few (the highest percentage of hard workers and the top .1% of elite athletes ) coming out this process with nothing is a shame and a system they failed (the system did not fail them...it gives countless chances).

The contrast between how Coach Brown sees college and academics versus Ms. Pinkard is the entire heart of college athletics. Maybe the defining segment of this entire series. This is a show that really looks at a macro look at poverty in America and the current state of education.

Coach Brown holds no accountability. It's one thing to talk their language but holding no accountability is telling them "I'm not the failure you are" which has been the problem their whole life

Advertisement
Coach Brown holds no accountability. It's one thing to talk their language but holding no accountability is telling them "I'm not the failure you are" which has been the problem their whole life

I understand what you're saying but I honestly feel like hes trying to teach them that it's up to them to really make something of their lives. Some of the kids just are immature and selfish.

The WR from Texas tech was ready to quit after his mom spend 14k to get his *** in JUCO!!! And hes 22!! The RB from Michigan complained about not having the opportunity to play after fumbling every chance he got. Coach brown sent Bobby bruce packing cause he didn't try in school or learn his playbook. Don't get me started on malik. He was the bad guy of the show.

It seemed like coach Brown tried to motivate them by teaching them the real world doesn't really care that you use to be a highly ranked high school football player and you still gotta put in work. For me, coach brown on the field and coach brown in his office were two different people. He reasoned with guys and was willing to hear them out in his office (it appeared). I just think he wasn't going to invest in a kid who wasn't showing him he wanted to succeed.

Even with malik, he didn't really bad mouth the kid to other schools. Cant say I'd handle it the same way if the kid was on my sideline telling his backups not to listen to me.

Advertisement
If I'm the parents of Camion Patrick and Isaiah I hold the older brother responsible for not being mature enough to get him and Isiah out of that car immediately. They knew they were going over there to rob the kid.. It wouldn't make me feel better that one got out and the other is in deep **** facing charges for homicide. Just an unfortunate incident and now they are going to send him away for a long time I predict.

I played JUCO ball @ a top-ranked program.
This series brings back many memories.

Ton of great athletes with character flaws who are entitled and whine all the time. Bunch of uncoachable pouters.

2 kids from our defense alone played in the NFL.
I played with Fred Taylor's little brother.
Absolute freak.
6'2" 190+ pound Safety with 4.4 speed.
Complete ********. Had 6 INT's halfway through our season but quit and went back to Belle Glade because we were struggling.

We would have players not even wake up the day of the game and completely miss the bus. Kids would disappear out of nowhere. They would be on the team one week and then gone the next.
It was an absolute **** show.

Advertisement
Back