Larry Coker was our Head Corch for the best team ever

You literally just made my argument, because the 2001 team was lead by the players.

And I'll go a step farther for all the Butch fanatics. If Butch gets all the credit for making that team, how come he hasn't even come close to ever doing it again? Not to mention that he was never given an elite job after UNC...

Yes, he will always have my respect for building us back up after probation and he hit the **** lotto with a lot of those dudes that weren't even highly recruited, but those players were so special that I believe they would have succeeded regardless.
Nah....Butch's staff had...
The Best RB Coach in UM History
The Best DB Coach in UM History
The Best WR Coach in UM History
Arguably the Best OL Coach in UM History
The Best ST Coach in UM History...
Butch not only was the best player evaluator...but also an Elite staff builder....

Advertisement
After all those early season losses, it would've been so great if they beat Washington. It should've been one of those seasons for the ages.

I thought the 1999 team could’ve gone further than they did. That team was almost as back as 2000. Losing 4 games is unfathomable with that talent.

I was really excited when we beat OSU in the kickoff classic. And the stage was set for PSU. The walk out of the OB after that loss was the worst feeling I’ve ever had going to any game (Dolphins included). Then the ECU loss which was a joke. We shockingly stayed with FSU for most of the game that year. The only blowout was the VT game.
Two of our losses were to teams that played for the national title.

PSU was a top 10 team. Hurt to lose after a furious comeback.

ECU was the only "bad loss" in terms of matchup.

Butch not only was the best player evaluator...but also an Elite staff builder....
Look man, you aren't the only one connected with the program. I was on the sidelines at Greentree watching Mike Smith, Rod Mack, and Morgan go toe to toe with Edge, Jackson and Davenport in practice. It was more intense than the games.

I'm trying to validate people's perspective but it can't always be "Butch was the best" without also calling out the other parts of his career. For example, most of us love Kehoe and in 2001 we had the best oline. We did not feel the same about him later in his career. Was it him or the players? We'll probably never know.

We're all frustrated at the state of the program. Us fans are arguing because we want to be great. At the end of the day, I'm just hoping to see that spark that resembles what made Miami special and a lot of that comes from the players. We had a lot of coaches win championships, let's hope we can witness another one.

Advertisement
That's hyperbole by a mile. What do you think would happen if Coker or Golden were the coaches of this team right now?
Coker - Depending on how long he was coach, we wouldn’t have successfully recruited TVD or Garcia. And about seven of our first and second year wide receivers would not be here.

Golden - We might have recruited better in some areas, but our defense would have given up 80 or 90 points to Alabama.

If the players were mostly responsible for the 2001 NC and stolen 2002 NC, are they also responsible for also nearly blowing the 2001 season with near-losses at BC and VT? Are they responsible for playing flat offensively against Ohio State, allowing some credit to Tressel, his staff, and a good team?

I am far from a Coker supporter (no thanks) but seems like some of us want to credit the players for all the success yet blame the coaches where the team stumbled.

You think a new HC could lure Curtis Johnson back to Miami?

Look man, you aren't the only one connected with the program. I was on the sidelines at Greentree watching Mike Smith, Rod Mack, and Morgan go toe to toe with Edge, Jackson and Davenport in practice. It was more intense than the games.

I'm trying to validate people's perspective but it can't always be "Butch was the best" without also calling out the other parts of his career. For example, most of us love Kehoe and in 2001 we had the best oline. We did not feel the same about him later in his career. Was it him or the players? We'll probably never know.

We're all frustrated at the state of the program. Us fans are arguing because we want to be great. At the end of the day, I'm just hoping to see that spark that resembles what made Miami special and a lot of that comes from the players. We had a lot of coaches win championships, let's hope we can witness another one.
It was pretty well documented that Kehoe hated recruiting and got lazy with it under Coker. Soldie too but he still had a great eye for talent.

Advertisement
It was pretty well documented that Kehoe hated recruiting and got lazy with it under Coker. Soldie too but he still had a great eye for talent.
Out of curiosity, who recruited Seantrel, Linder, and Feliciano? There was definitely talented lineman throughout Kehoe's tenure, but we also had lots of inconsistent results. Last year, we were all praising the improvement under Justice, and this year it looks like we took a step back. I can't figure this crap out.

Advertisement
Scholarship losses were long gone when he built that team.

He took the job, faced losing 31 scholarships - and at one point, didn't have enough players to scrimmage.

He was there five years - may I suggest an arithmetic refresher course.

Maybe start from scratch with addition - the following year tackle subtraction - and go from there.

Butch also evaluated and recruited for JJ - Butch left UM on Thursdays - and got out hunting recruits - and it surely paid off - because JJ handed Erickson his National Championship teams.

Let's see - JJ's team, Erickson's team, and started from scratch and once again built the all time greatest college football team EVER.

Butch suffered one loss the year he left - Clappy won a National - following year - that team technically won a second National - but was stolen by a ref - and as Butch's players graduated and left - so did our football program.

Facts.

Try them some time.

He took the job, faced losing 31 scholarships - and at one point, didn't have enough players to scrimmage.

Maybe start from scratch with addition - the following year tackle subtraction - and go from there.

Butch also evaluated and recruited for JJ - Butch left UM on Thursdays - and got out hunting recruits - and it surely paid off - because JJ handed Erickson his National Championship teams.

Let's see - JJ's team, Erickson's team, and started from scratch and once again built the all time greatest college football team EVER.

Butch suffered one loss the year he left - Clappy won a National - following year - that team technically won a second National - but was stolen by a ref - and as Butch's players graduated and left - so did our football program.

Facts.

Try them some time.
Cot ****....Lock this MFer....

Facts.

Try them some time.

"He was there five years - may I suggest an arithmetic refresher course."

Back at ya,

Advertisement
"He was there five years - may I suggest an arithmetic refresher course."

Back at ya,

Got some more numbers for you.

Butch has a UM National Championship Ring as the DLine Coach.

And.

Butch was DC at Dallas - and has TWO SuperBowl Rings.

Did you see our defense these past years?

Have you seen the quality of our recruits the past decade?

Not talking about stars - I'm talking about getting dogs that burn to win.

Miami would've killed Oklahoma. However, there was the loss to Washington. That Canes team should've beat Washington by 2 td's. And even though it was early in the season the Canes opened up with a tune up game.
And even then there was a questionable hit on Dorsey where he fumbled but it appeared his arm was moving forward. Should have been called incomplete. Fact is, either way, the voters wanted to see Oklahoma win the natty and they KNEW we would kick their ***. We were screwed out of 2 nattys with that team, should have been 3 in a row.

Advertisement
Back