Larry Coker was our Head Corch for the best team ever

OU doesn't have to fight off what Miami fights off at home base and they have legit play callers that the NFL wants. Miami has to fight off the best recruiters and we keep hiring bad evaluators of talent and guys who can't close at a high percentage.

Advertisement
So basically you are saying Coker’s hand clap was elite.

WHAT!!!??.......
Listen, lay down take a nap, when you're feeling better and your "head isn't hurtin from so much learnin".......Have a 3rd grader explain it to you.
cracra.gif

Take care

Last edited:
I agree with almost everything you're saying, but you didn't answer 1 question.. do you blame the players or the coaches for why Clemson and Oklahoma are struggling this year? Simple question
It’s a team effort. They both share blame. The coaches for bad evaluations and the players for being unable or unwilling to perform.

Clemson staff tho has been elite for a decade, they have earned the benefit of the doubt.

I was as mad as anyone the Canes didn't play for the NC. That team by the end of 2000 was playing some of the best football I've ever seen the Canes play. But 1 loss and you can't count on getting in. The team we lost to had 1 loss.
You should have seen the practices from 95 onward...especially from 98-2000...The hitting and Hard work were Legendary....

Yes, 91 had a great defense, but I’d rank 86 ahead of 91. Even with the upset loss to Penn State.

HC Jimmy Johnson in College and NFL HOF. Butch and Wanny were on that staff and went to Dallas, and later became both NFL and College HCs. Pagano and Tubberville were GAs. Pagano was Colts HC, and Tubbs HC at Auburn.

5 first rounder and 4 second round picks in the starting 22. All 5 first rounders in the Top 10. Most had excellent NFL careers, with Zo an injury casualty and Jerome passing in a car accident. Irvin HOF, Jerome may likely have been. Vinny played 21 years.

I‘m counting both Brian Blades and Bret Perriman as starters, although this may not be accurate. Both caught over 500 passes in the league.

IIRC, Bratton was projected a first rounder, before a knee injury in the OB win over OU.
2000 UM would've gave 86 UM all it could handle and then some....

Advertisement
I don’t want to get crucified but I think 2000 might have been better than 2001. As great as 2001 was, after Andre Johnson the receiving core experienced a huge drop off with no NFL players.

I think 2001 would get into a rut sometimes offensively because of the lack of a solid receiving core.

2000 had of course an amazing receiving core led by Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne.

Oh, and shockingly I’m going to go with ‘91 as our best team.

I don’t want to get crucified but I think 2000 might have been better than 2001. As great as 2001 was, after Andre Johnson the receiving core experienced a huge drop off with no NFL players.

I think 2001 would get into a rut sometimes offensively because of the lack of a solid receiving core.

2000 had of course an amazing receiving core led by Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne.

Oh, and shockingly I’m going to go with ‘91 as our best team.
The 91 D was UMs best ever...including statistically.....Lubick is one of my favorite UM coaches ever....

If the 2000 team wins against an inferior Washington team, we might be talking about that team as up there with the very best in program history.

The fact that we were dominating at the end of that game but still lost has to mean it was the coaching. I’m starting to think Coker was a hindrance as an OC. But as time goes by that loss is now up there with all the crushing ones.

If the 2000 team wins against an inferior Washington team, we might be talking about that team as up there with the very best in program history.

The fact that we were dominating at the end of that game but still lost has to mean it was the coaching. I’m starting to think Coker was a hindrance as an OC. But as time goes by that loss is now up there with all the crushing ones.
Not really...there was questionable calls and Portis's fumble hurt as well...if we play UW again at the end of season we win going away...as @Rellyrell stated earlier...that UW team was no slouch to begin with....unlike those Douchebags in Canesville, who lost to an unranked team and still played for the NC...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Modern day football is constantly evolving... elite teams are becoming hard to come by. The same teams are represented every year, but flaws are always revealed.

1) Clemson is on a 3 game streak of looking inept on offense with a 5 star QB (not counting SC St)

2) Bama just gave up 250 yards rushing to a team that has no passing threat

3) Oklahoma is basically doing the same thing as us.

Point is, where is our leadership and accountability from the players? Where are the dogs on the sidelines demanding a standard? We have been average for 15 years and when a team has sustained success, it comes from more than the coaches, it comes from culture and team leaders. Michael Irvin said he was scared of not keeping it going, Joaquin said dominate, Webster put you in a head lock, even Hankerson worked with Duper and on the jug machine when no one else cared.

Put the rings and chain away. Stop dancing and celebrating, your scholarship should require a signature of contribution. Reward production with playing time, or stand next to Pope without gear. I'm tired of losing, but I'm more tired of our players not giving a **** anymore.

That was 20 years ago. The game has changed. The players have changed. Everything has changed. Most kids in college football weren't even alive when Miami won in 2001.

Larry Coker was a substitute teacher after Butch Davis assembled the greatest team talent-wise of all time.

Today's player is all about personal brand and being "public figures" on social media—Miami players doing f**king photo shoots with chains and rings for the Instagram accounts, while Bama is kicking their teeth in 27-0 and 41-10.

Coaching may have been in initial preparation, but the drive when W iced the game had consecutive pass interference calls to extend drives.

Both were really bad calls.

I thought the 1999 team could’ve gone further than they did. That team was almost as back as 2000. Losing 4 games is unfathomable with that talent.

I was really excited when we beat OSU in the kickoff classic. And the stage was set for PSU. The walk out of the OB after that loss was the worst feeling I’ve ever had going to any game (Dolphins included). Then the ECU loss which was a joke. We shockingly stayed with FSU for most of the game that year. The only blowout was the VT game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't want to be mean to OP, but really? The hot take is that the 17-21 y/o kids should save the program? They are kids. The adults need to lead.

This Coker rehabilitation stuff is truly surreal. Yes he got himself a natty (nearly 2) by essentially doing nothing and letting the train coast down the tracks and not touching anything. Good for him.

It would be like if you were a n'er do well kid who inherited a beautiful house your parents built. The landscapers and cleaning crew had another year on their contract and kept it in good repair. So you sat on your *** and played video games in the gorgeous house while things kind of ran themselves. But you didn't renew any of the contracts, you didn't do anything about regular house maintenance when things needed fixing or updating. You went out and made a bunch of loser friends and brought them into the house and they promptly trashed it. And guess what? Within a few years the house was completely unrecognizable and in complete disrepair. And still hasn't been fixed to this day. So do you still get credit for that first year or two when you just sat around and didn't intentionally break anything? If so, then sure Larry Coker's a real hero.

I don't want to be mean to OP, but really? The hot take is that the 17-21 y/o kids should save the program? They are kids. The adults need to lead.
You literally just made my argument, because the 2001 team was lead by the players.

And I'll go a step farther for all the Butch fanatics. If Butch gets all the credit for making that team, how come he hasn't even come close to ever doing it again? Not to mention that he was never given an elite job after UNC...

Yes, he will always have my respect for building us back up after probation and he hit the **** lotto with a lot of those dudes that weren't even highly recruited, but those players were so special that I believe they would have succeeded regardless.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back